Tutorial

The Smart Export Guarantee - Getting paid for the energy you export to the grid - FAQs

• 2 October 2020
  • 25 replies
The Smart Export Guarantee - Getting paid for the energy you export to the grid - FAQs
Userlevel 7

Updated on 13/04/22 by Jess_OVO

SEG - Smart Export Guarantee - Your FAQs

What is the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)?

The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) gives micro-generators (such as homes with solar panels) the chance to earn money for every kWh of energy they export to the national grid. This replaces the Feed in Tariff (FIT), which was closed to new applicants in 2019. The key difference between the FIT scheme and SEG that generator are only paid for the energy they export on SEG rather than the energy they generate as well, as they were with FIT.

Who can sign up to the SEG tariff?

Generators (or homeowners) who own one of the following technology systems; anaerobic digestion, hydro, micro-combined heat and power (with an electrical capacity of 50kW or less), onshore wind, and solar photovoltaic exporters with up to 5MW.  In order to apply for SEG you mustn’t be receiving FIT export payments, however your FIT generation payments can be continued if even if your export payments are relinquished.

How much can I be paid via SEG from OVO?

The SEG tariff is decided by supplier so unlike FIT this may differ between suppliers. Here are the details of the current OVO SEG payments:

Name of Tariff Price per kWh Technology Type System Size Initial Contract Length
OVO SEG Tariff
(AET20)
4.00p/kWh All eligible technologies Solar, Anaerobic Digestion, Hydro, Wind up to 5MW capacity, Up to 50kW for Micro-combined heat and power (Micro-CHP) 12 months

When does my SEG contract start? 

Your contract starts once an Export MPAN has been set up and we have received your first export meter reading. The initial contract term is 12 months. 

Can I switch to OVO's SEG if I already receive FIT payments?

If you receive the Feed-in Tariff from OVO, then you are able to sign up to SEG, but your Feed in Tariff export payments will stop. If you did want to opt in or out of the Feed-in Tariff export payments, just be aware under the regulation of the scheme you can only do this once every 12 months.

If you currently receive FIT payments from another supplier you can sign up to SEG with OVO, but your Feed in Tariff export payments will stop with your current supplier. You’ll need to let them know before you sign up to SEG. 

Where can I find the application forms? 

You can find our application form and supporting documents guide here. Once completed you’ll need to email this (as well as the supporting documents) to our SEG team at seg@ovoenergy.com. They’ll review your application and if eligible you’ll receive a welcome email confirming the tariff and payment information within 6 weeks of applying.

When do I need to give a reading?

We request export readings 4 times a year:

• March
  • June
  • September
  • December 

As a SEG customer, you will be sent a read reminder with a link to provide your reading via an online form. You need to take the reading from your export or smart meter - if you’re unsure of how to do this, you would need to contact the installer or energy supplier. If it’s an OVO smart meter, see this guide for Secure meters, and this guide for Aclara/Honeywell meters. 

When do I receive a statement and payment?

Quarter Statements posted
on (+3 working days for post):
Payments requested on
(+ 3 working days
for bank processing):
January - March 2022 By the end of April By the end of May
April - June 2022 By the end of July By the end of August
July - September 2022 By the end of October By the end of November
October - December 2022 By the end of January 2023 By the end of February 2023

Can I switch my SEG to another supplier?

As generators, you can switch away to another SEG licensee if you wish. However, if you do this whilst still in your contract then a exit fee will apply (£15) - unless you’re moving house or the generator has passed away. You’ll need to stop your SEG contract with us before signing up to a new SEG contract with another SEG licensee.

What happens if I move into to a property receiving SEG?

If you’ve just moved in to a house which already receives SEG, you’d need to sign-up to a new tariff using the application form. Further to this, we’ll require some proof as evidence that you are now the legal owner of the solar panels:

• Photo ID - As part of the application we need you to prove your identification. Please send a clear copy of your photo driving license or passport.
  • Proof of Ownership - Written confirmation from Solicitor or Fixtures and Fittings form (TA10) accompanied by a Land Registry certificate. This must clearly evidence ownership of the panels.

What do I need to do if I’m moving out of a property receiving SEG?

In order for us close your SEG account, all we need to confirm is your final export meter reading and the date you left the property. Email this to the team directly seg@ovoenergy.com ensuring your include your SEG ID, name and address along with your new address so we can send your final statement. 

Once we have received the readings, these will be applied to the account and will send the final statement on the next statement date. The statement dates fall in April, July, October and January, with payments following two weeks later.

Where can I get more information about SEG?

You can find yet more information via our FAQs on the OVO website or the Ofgem website. If you can’t find the answer, you can email the team on seg@ovoenergy.com or why not comment below as out knowledgeable community members might be able to offer advice. :slight_smile:

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That seems clear @Tim_OVO 

So a 50MW wind turbine on a stormy day earns me £2000 an hour. Great!

… can I just plug that into my Smart Meter?  :scream:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Jess_OVO@Tim_OVO Why is it taking so long for my SEG welcome letter?

Userlevel 7

Welcome back, @amackayj

Looks like you’ve been waiting much longer than the usual four week time frame to receive your SEG welcome pack. I know this team has been busier than usual recently but appreciate it’s now been quite a delay. Have you been in touch with the team by emailing seg@ovoenergy.com, to chase this missing welcome info?

Let us know if you’re still yet to receive this and we’ll see what we can do to help here. 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My SEG welcome letter arrived!

The email it is attached to say “it gives details of how and when to submit your readings, and how and when you’ll receive your payments"

I have read the letter several times and it's not clear how I send the reading.  Reading the thread above seems to imply that I'll get an email with a link… Why not provide that link straight away?

I note that the export amount has remained 4p while the import amount has increased. And I'm locked into this amount for 12 months (with an exit fee if I leave).  This isn't any different to other providers (except Octopus) but it's disappointing that those of us who have chosen to invest in solar energy aren't being recognised. Other than the Vat reduction, there's no incentive to go green.

Having said that, I would still do it.  My May bill is the same as March, even though the price per kWh has increased (and I use less oil to heat water) so I'm still very happy with my decision, just not sure it was worth all the hassle to get the SEG set up.

So now I wait for an email with a link?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oh and it is strange that my smart meter sends consumption readings but not export readings. I have to go through quite a complicated process just to get the export reading, then another (to be explained) process to send it just to get my 4p!

Userlevel 7

My SEG welcome letter arrived!

Great news to hear on a rainy Tuesday, @amackayj!

Sorry to hear it didn’t fully cover all you queries though. I’ve passed this feedback on to the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) Team who’ve advised that this Welcome Pack is about to be updated to more accurately explain the reading submission/payment process, so thanks for highlighting the need for this.

So now I wait for an email with a link?

Just to clarify, we accept SEG reads each March, June, September and December. On the first day of those months we’ll send a reminder email which will have a link for you to submit your reading online. Alternatively, you can send your SEG reading to us at seg@ovoenergy.com or give it over the phone on 0330 303 5063. The deadline to submit the reading is always midnight on the last day of the above months (At which point, the online link will expire). 

Oh and it is strange that my smart meter sends consumption readings but not export readings. I have to go through quite a complicated process just to get the export reading, then another (to be explained) process to send it just to get my 4p!

Another really valid point. I’ve taken this one away to my smart metering expert so will pop back with an update when I hear more.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Jess_OVO that's nice and clear.

Interesting to compare my electricity consumption in May '21 (without PV) with May ‘22 (with PV). PV was installed mid Feb'22 and even with the bad weather, you can see the usage start to drop.

So even with the rate increase, the cost is roughly the same!

Definitely worth installing PV, especially if you also get the iBoost to heat your water instead of oil or gas and if you have one or more EV the it's a no brainer.

I can't be bothered to work out the savings in heating oil or car fuel consumption, but the savings on electricity consumption alone definitely justify the installation cost. The SEG is just a bonus.

Userlevel 7

So great to hear you’re already noticing the impact of your solar generation, @amackayj. 🌞

You’re joining plenty of other solar generators here on the OVO community. Just in case you wanted to compare how your generation stats stack up, check out the thread below.

how do i set up a SEG account with OVO?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @David Solar !

Looks like you’re after one of these two links. Either one should work.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOv1-O_M-NIEU_-OqbDlyEFKL6PrYR3ajz6oT1vuyfqt0wNw/viewform

https://www.ovobyus.com/m/ddbb1a38bb94da4/original/2022-SEG-Application-form-and-supporting-documents-guide.pdf

Please also check out https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/smart-export-guarantee as it’ll help you a lot.

Badge

Hi there. We recently had solar panels installed and we’re very pleased with it. I have masses of questions but the main one is to do with ensuring SSE are aware of the power now being exported to  the grid under the Smart Export Guarantee scheme.

The people who did the installation said they’d do the relevant paperwork and that we didn’t need to do anything, but they have been somewhat unreliable in their communications. Is there any way to ensure with SSE that we have been registered, as it were?

Looking at some of the information here it looks like we need to make an application for the Smart Export Guarantee. Is that indeed the case?

Many thanks for considering these questions, Ali Hart

Userlevel 7

Hi @Pygar - nice work getting solar panels. We’ve got lots of other with them so you’re in the right place with those questions. 

For the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) with SSE, fill in this application form

Badge

thanks for the response @Tim_OVO. Unfortunately our installation company haven’t provided us with an MCS certificate and can’t give us a date when they will have one. They say there aren’t enough auditors for existing installers, let alone new companies. Kind of a moot point in October anyhoo. I’ve alerted the MCS people to the issue but I suspect they’ll be aware of it.

In the meantime we’ve had our tariff changed to something that only requires a single meter. Hopefully someone from SSE will be along to install a smart meter this year. One small step at a time 🙄

Best wishes, Pygar

I sent a SEG application form off 3 months ago. Sent moree details last month as didn't realise you OVO needed it. But I get no response at all. Nothing from OVO. Any one else had issues with setting up SEG payments? Just wish they would reply to email as they don't communicate by phone.  @Tim_OVO @Jess_OVO can you help?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Scott0583 and thanks for flagging this. We’re aware of longer than usual response times for this team. 

At what stage is your SEG application at? My concern is that a household is only eligible for exported energy for SEG once an export MPAN has been created. As soon as that's been done we ask the customer for an opening reading which is the point they will be paid from. Unfortunately we cannot make payment for anything exported before then. There is a backlog of applications and emails at present so our processing times are much longer than usual. Any customers still waiting to be set up may wish to cancel their SEG application with OVO and re-apply elsewhere as a different supplier may be able to register them quicker. It's not ideal by any means but unfortunately we can't process any quicker than we currently are.

@Tim_OVO There is no stage. I have sent application and had no response from anyone. Sent 2 x emails enquiring and still no response. 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Scott0583 Do you have your export MPAN yet?

@Tim_OVO jumping on this thread as I too have had no correspondence or information regarding my SEG application, other than an initial email saying that Ovo has all necessary information to process my application.

That was in August!! Despite me emailing twice since then I have had no further correspondence.

Does my next move need to be a formal complaint?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7

A household is only eligible for exported energy for SEG once an export MPAN has been created. As soon as that's been done we ask the customer for an opening reading which is the point they will be paid from. Unfortunately we cannot make payment for anything exported before then. There is a backlog of applications and emails at present so our processing times are much longer than usual. Any customers still waiting to be set up may wish to cancel their SEG application with OVO and re-apply elsewhere as a different supplier may be able to register them quicker. It's not ideal by any means but unfortunately we can't process any quicker than we currently are.

@Caroline57 it sounds like your export MPAN has been created so the advice above of considering a new SEG application elsewhere isn’t needed. 

There is a backlog of applications and emails but the team, which is being increased in size by at least 4X in response to this, will be getting to everyone in turn. 

You’re able to raise this as a complaint, which you mentioned being the next step. The process it outlined here

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why are OVO not paying an appropriate rate under the SEG?

4p is an insult … especially when current rates charged to consumers can be over 35p.

Anyone on the Tesla scheme is paid in excess of 20p   and any acricultural premises feeding in is treated the same .

I accept that OVO have other costs to cover but as prices have increased significantly OVOs base costs have not,  so why is this incease not passed on to consumers.

The government refuses to intervene as it is a “supplier issue”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Pollowick It is what it is unfortunately.

Suppliers are free to set the how much they offer. I suspect this is dependent on how much they want the business and how much they are ultimately willing and able to subsidise tariff in some instances. 

The last time i looked Octopus were offering the highest SEG rate of you are an Octopus customer and no other suppliers were close.

This is not unusual for Octopus, they have openly said in the past they subsidise the Octopus Go tariff for example. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

willing and able to subsidise tariff in some instances. 

Subsidise …  that is the point,  they are not subsidising it, but profiting from it.

The incoming energy price to Ovo from the generators has increased and that is passed on.   So,  why can the payments to small “generators” not be increased too?

Badge +1

Hello Pollowick, 

I couldn’t agree more. The solar generating community are paid derisory rates for their “generosity”. This is why I invested in a storage battery and try to export as little as possible; it’s a mug’s game. Nearly all my excess generation either goes into the car or the battery to keep me off the grid. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Pollowick, 

I couldn’t agree more. The solar generating community are paid derisory rates for their “generosity”. This is why I invested in a storage battery and try to export as little as possible; it’s a mug’s game. Nearly all my excess generation either goes into the car or the battery to keep me off the grid. 

Mine will have a sizeable battery too and I plan to export the minimum - but, for example, if I am away on holiday for three weeks.

15 kWh per day generated and almost all exported - 300 units.     So around £100 to purchase, but I would receive just £12.    And what would that cost OVO?  Maybe £60 to £70 - so a nice earner for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Or it could be a loss in my experience.…

The fixed cost of servicing only 1, 828 SEG customers in the last financial year vs over 5million regular customers will be very significant in my experience of other sectors

You need a significant number of customers to make a product viable. That is nowhere near enough in my experience. 

The exported energy will be so small to be almost worthless given the amount of effort involved. 

The alternative is to increase the SEG rate as Octopus has done and try and reach a critical mass, 22,791 SEG customers.

OVO is far from the smallest, EDF 371 customers.