Solved

Smart Meter Installation - where does it go?

• 13 March 2017
  • 9 replies

If I was to move over to OVO and have a smart meter installed, where does it get installed? Will it be inside or can I have it outside? I don't want a smart meter installed inside my home because of negative effects on health that have been reported. Please let me know, thanks.
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 14 March 2017, 14:39

If I was to move over to OVO and have a smart meter installed, where does it get installed? Will it be inside or can I have it outside? I don't want a smart meter installed inside my home because of negative effects on health that have been reported. Please let me know, thanks.

Updated 29/05/2020

Hi BlueStar,

Thanks for sharing this on the OVO Forum - I notice you’re a new user, so nice work getting stuck in so soon! Make sure you add a picture and complete your profile when you’ve got a sec as well. To help other users find this topic, I've edited the title a bit and added a tag.

As for getting a smart meter fitted, these will go in wherever the current meters are located. Take a look at this topic this will address your safety concerns.

Tim

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated 29/05/2020

Hi BlueStar,

Thanks for sharing this on the OVO Forum - I notice you’re a new user, so nice work getting stuck in so soon! Make sure you add a picture and complete your profile when you’ve got a sec as well. To help other users find this topic, I've edited the title a bit and added a tag.

As for getting a smart meter fitted, these will go in wherever the current meters are located. Take a look at this topic this will address your safety concerns.

Tim

ok thanks 🙂Will check out the link. Could it be moved to somewhere else if requested? When I had survey done on this place surveyor said place of current meter shouldn't be where it is (under kitchen sink!) Thanks.
Userlevel 5
We’re a bit limited in what we can do as normally, repositioning meters involves moving or extending pipes and cables which is the responsibility of the gas and electricity distribution network in that area. It would be best for you to speak to them further about this to find out what work is involved. You can find out who your Distribution Network Officer is by visiting http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/.

Lucy
Userlevel 3
ok thanks 🙂Will check out the link. Could it be moved to somewhere else if requested? When I had survey done on this place surveyor said place of current meter shouldn't be where it is (under kitchen sink!) Thanks.

Smart meters themselves are Free to the customer as the Government has asked energy companies with the ability to install them to offer them to anyone who wants them, assuming it works in your area. Having a meter Moved is very different...

You'd need to have the local network operator (national grid) come in first and move the cable or pipes, for which there's a charge. Then OVO would come in afterwards, ideally on the same day, and move the meter to the end of the new cables/pipes, and there's a charge for That, Plus you'd probably need to pay a gas or electrical engineer to do some work on the cables/pipes After the meter...

3 lots of charges can add up to more than you'd ideally want to shell out, but it Can be done, Yes...
I have just had a smart meter fitted. Basically it took less than one hour and they just adjust your gas and/or electric meter so that it can be read remotely, and provide you with a phone sized 'smart meter' which you can put anywhere and which gives constant (real time) readings of your gas and/or electricity readings.
We had an installation date to install a smart meter in a cupboard where we currently have our electric and gas meter. I thought this would be straightforward, but the engineer said that it wouldn’t fit. We would have to employ an electrician to move the existing meter. This put me off the whole idea. Does this sound right? And is there any other way to solve the problem?
Userlevel 6
Hey @Ossieandco - I've moved your post onto this topic where you should be able to find more information ☺

Hi, first post so be gentle! We’ve received a notification saying that the current meter (no pun intended) needs to be replaced because it’s certification has expired and suggesting that a smart meter2 is installed. My concern is that the house is (very) old, listed and the current meter is in a quite inaccessible place. Has anyone any experience of OVO engineers fitting meters in difficult places; and, if the engineers decide it too difficult a job, will we be charged?

Userlevel 7

@Flit I’ve replied to your other comment, but if you are worried, can you post a photo for us to check for you?  We can pass to the engineering team so they can check before the install takes place.