Solved

Smart Meter communicating with OVO but gas usage info not showing on Online Account?

• 4 November 2022
  • 50 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Cutter****
  • 22 replies

My gas usage is not showing hourly, although electricity is showing hourly. The smart meter is sending half hourly info and this has been checked by OVO. I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, checked online, logged out and back in again, and was told to ask on here for help by the chat assistant, as I think they have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas please?

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 14 November 2022, 12:27

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My gas usage is not showing hourly, although electricity is showing hourly. The smart meter is sending half hourly info and this has been checked by OVO. I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, checked online, logged out and back in again, and was told to ask on here for help by the chat assistant, as I think they have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas please?

1. Does the same thing happen when you log into the ovo website rather than the app.

2. See if one of the 3rd party apps can see the readings

https://www.glowmarkt.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @viney. Is this a constant thing - the missing info - or does it sometimes show ok?

The reason I ask is because I have occasional drop-outs but they tend to correct themselves if I leave it for a few days. I also use the loop app which sometimes gives me a better track of daily use 

Userlevel 1

Hi @BPLightlog and @Jeffus thank you so much for your replies.

I don’t know what else to do now and would appreciate any help, thank you!

I have done the following:

1. I have logged into OVO online and looked at my usage online, rather than on the app. I can’t see my hourly gas usage online either, but I can see hourly electricity usage.
  2. I downloaded the Bright app last week. That isn’t showing my gas usage at all, but it does show me hourly electricity usage. I can see the electricity meter, gas meter and a proxy gas meter (?) in the settings.
  3. I have phoned OVO again. They have just told me that it isn’t possible to see hourly gas usage with OVO. Their system doesn’t have that provision. 
  4. I checked my in house display - it doesn’t show hourly gas usage either. 
  5. OVO confirm that they are getting half hourly readings from my electricity and gas meter.
Userlevel 1

Hi @viney. Is this a constant thing - the missing info - or does it sometimes show ok?

The reason I ask is because I have occasional drop-outs but they tend to correct themselves if I leave it for a few days. I also use the loop app which sometimes gives me a better track of daily use 

Hi @BPLightlog It has never shown 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@viney

1. Check your gas readings page to make sure your gas meter is sending daily smart readings. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

You should see a daily reading with the word smart next to it. 

2. Ask OVO to set your gas and electric meter reading frequency to every 30min. 

3. Run this check 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @viney. Is this a constant thing - the missing info - or does it sometimes show ok?

Hi @BPLightlog It has never shown 

Can I just check @viney are you using android or iOS because there seems to have been a number of android app issues reported recently

Userlevel 1

@viney

1. Check your gas readings page to make sure your gas meter is sending daily smart readings. 

You should see a daily reading with the word smart next to it. 

2. Ask OVO to set your gas and electric meter reading frequency to every 30min. 

3. Run this check 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I’ve done all of those things @Jeffus and they are all working 👍. OVO have confirmed to me they are getting my meter readings every half an hour.

Userlevel 1

Hi @BPLightlog It has never shown 

Can I just check @viney are you using android or iOS because there seems to have been a number of android app issues reported recently

I’m using iOS @BPLightlog 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

One more thing from me.

Please head into the app then go to Account > App Info and tell me the following:

• App Version
  • CodePush Version
  • Also, what version of iOS are you on?

This info helps the developers a ton when trying to reproduce issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @BPLightlog and @Jeffus thank you so much for your replies.

I don’t know what else to do now and would appreciate any help, thank you!

I have done the following:

1. I have logged into OVO online and looked at my usage online, rather than on the app. I can’t see my hourly gas usage online either, but I can see hourly electricity usage.
  2. I downloaded the Bright app last week. That isn’t showing my gas usage at all, but it does show me hourly electricity usage. I can see the electricity meter, gas meter and a proxy gas meter (?) in the settings.
  3. I have phoned OVO again. They have just told me that it isn’t possible to see hourly gas usage with OVO. Their system doesn’t have that provision. 
  4. I checked my in house display - it doesn’t show hourly gas usage either. 
  5. OVO confirm that they are getting half hourly readings from my electricity and gas meter.

No 3. Doesn't make any sense, OVO can show 30min gas and electricity kWh usage on the usage page . If they are getting the data. The usage page can't display 30min cost data

No 5. Doesn't make any sense  as to why ovo are not displaying the data if they have it. I am not convinced they really have it in your case, although it may be correctly stored in your home. 

No 2. Is interesting. The 3rd party apps like Bright work in a different way to Suppliers. 3rd parties like Bright can only access usage information in kWh from your meter under their ofgem licence agreement. So they can see how much you have used in kWh in a specific period. If your meter is setup for 30min readings they can see 30min usage data in kWh. OVO can see different data as well under their ofgem license agreement. So ovo can get actual meter readings rather than usage every day they can use to populate the meter reading page and hence your bills.

The fact the Bright app doesn't work all all for gas as well as ovo 30min usage on the usage page points to it not being an ovo specific issue. Rather a 30min gas usage issue problem. 

As another check you could see what Loop displays, to see if they also can't see your gas usage. 

https://loop.homes/

Hugo is another app you could try

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

If you post a photo of your gas and electric meters, @Blastoise186 may have some suggestions.

At least for now the daily readings are being display on the readings page and your bill is correctly updating. This doesn't use the 30min gas usage. 

Userlevel 1

One more thing from me.

Please head into the app then go to Account > App Info and tell me the following:

• App Version
  • CodePush Version
  • Also, what version of iOS are you on?

This info helps the developers a ton when trying to reproduce issues.

Hi @Blastoise186 iOS version 16.0, 

App version 15.5.0

CodePush version V375

thank you :)

Userlevel 1

No 3. Doesn't make any sense, OVO can show 30min gas and electricity kWh usage on the usage page . If they are getting the data. The usage page can't display 30min cost data

No 5. Doesn't make any sense  as to why ovo are not displaying the data if they have it. I am not convinced they really have it in your case, although it may be correctly stored in your home. 

No 2. Is interesting. The 3rd party apps like Bright work in a different way to Suppliers. 3rd parties like Bright can only access usage information in kWh from your meter under their ofgem licence agreement. So they can see how much you have used in kWh in a specific period. If your meter is setup for 30min readings they can see 30min usage data in kWh. OVO can see different data as well under their ofgem license agreement. So ovo can get actual meter readings rather than usage every day they can use to populate the meter reading page and hence your bills.

The fact the Bright app doesn't work all all for gas as well as ovo 30min usage on the usage page points to it not being an ovo specific issue. Rather a 30min gas usage issue problem. 

As another check you could see what Loop displays, to see if they also can't see your gas usage. 

https://loop.homes/

Hugo is another app you could try

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

If you post a photo of your gas and electric meters, @Blastoise186 may have some suggestions.

At least for now the daily readings are being display on the readings page and your bill is correctly updating. This doesn't use the 30min gas usage. 

thank you @Jeffus, I’ve installed Loop and that isn’t showing gas at all, either. 
I’ll try Hugo too.

in case it’s of any importance - in Bright settings, I have a gas mater, a proxy meter and an electricity meter. I don’t know what a proxy gas meter is. 

i can’t add a picture of my meter to this post, so I’ll add it below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@viney would you mind posting a screenshot of this page as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

thank you @Jeffus, I’ve installed Loop and that isn’t showing gas at all, either. 
I’ll try Hugo too.

in case it’s of any importance - in Bright settings, I have a gas mater, a proxy meter and an electricity meter. I don’t know what a proxy gas meter is. 

i can’t add a picture of my meter to this post, so I’ll add it below.

@Blastoise186 do you know what a proxy meter is? 

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

@viney would you mind posting a screenshot of this page as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Jeffus gas proxy is mentioned in the system design here https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/the-smart-security-behind-the-gb-smart-metering-system

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus gas proxy is mentioned in the system design here https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/the-smart-security-behind-the-gb-smart-metering-system

Interesting. Thanks. You learn something every day. 

@viney so nothing special about the proxy info. I can see the same on my Bright app settings. 

Userlevel 1

Interesting. Thanks. You learn something every day. 

@viney so nothing special about the proxy info. I can see the same on my Bright app settings. 

Thank you @BPLightlog and @Jeffus 

Userlevel 7

Great diagnostics support on show here. I agree it sounds like everything with the meter is fine. OVO should be able to visualise your gas usage like this:

I’ve asked our Forum_Support team to private message you, @viney to see if they can spot anything internally that alludes to the issue. We may need to pass on feedback to the agent you spoke to who advised daily gas usage isn’t a thing...

Userlevel 1

Great diagnostics support on show here. I agree it sounds like everything with the meter is fine. OVO should be able to visualise your gas usage

I’ve asked our Forum_Support team to private message you, @viney to see if they can spot anything internally that alludes to the issue. We may need to pass on feedback to the agent you spoke to who advised daily gas usage isn’t a thing...

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Thank you.

It was hourly gas usage, not daily gas usage that the agent said wasn’t a thing - I did ask them to clarify twice and they said they had asked a senior for clarification.

Userlevel 1

Just to update my info, Loop has finished updating and the app cannot access my gas usage info either.

I raised a support query with Bright as I couldn’t see my gas usage through that and their reply is as follows, in case this is helpful:

”I see that you have a Flonidian gas meter and we've recently had a few other customers also with an enrolled Flonidian gas meter saying their data wasn't coming through. We have raised this with the DCC to ask them if the configuration was checked with the DCC Other User role.”

Userlevel 7

Hey @viney,

That’s really helpful, we’ve seen a few customers with similar issues who also have recently enrolled meters.

If we get any updates on this, I'll post in this thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just to update my info, Loop has finished updating and the app cannot access my gas usage info either.

I raised a support query with Bright as I couldn’t see my gas usage through that and their reply is as follows, in case this is helpful:

”I see that you have a Flonidian gas meter and we've recently had a few other customers also with an enrolled Flonidian gas meter saying their data wasn't coming through. We have raised this with the DCC to ask them if the configuration was checked with the DCC Other User role.”

@viney 

Good to know

We can definitely see the daily meter readings are coming through on the OVO screen shot you posted. 

So we know OVO can at least get that. 

The "DCC Other User Role" is a role given to the 3rd parties like Bright. 

OVO have a different "Role" so they can access more information from your meter, hence why the OVO Meter Reading page works for you, but the 30min usage on the OVO usage page doesn't. 

So it does not look like the issue is specific to the DCC Other User role but it is great they are getting the DCC to investigate as the DCC may be able to fix the issue hopefully for all "Roles" 

Did you ever get a letter saying your meter was being migrated?

Will I receive an email when my meter is being upgraded?

The Data Communications Company (DCC) is updating SMETS1 meters in batches, we receive notification of which accounts will be updated 15 days in advance which gives us time to send an email or letter to  let you know. This includes a data protection statement for obtaining and using your meter readings.

If this update is successful then we’ll send you another email or letter to let you know. If it’s unsuccessful we’ll let you know and the DCC will try and update the account again - we'll let you know if and when the update is successful. We unfortunately have no control over who gets upgraded and who doesn't, this is decided by the DCC.

Userlevel 1

@viney

Good to know

We can definitely see the daily meter readings are coming through on the OVO screen shot you posted. 

So we know OVO can at least get that. 

The "DCC Other User Role" is a role given to the 3rd parties like Bright. 

OVO have a different "Role" so they can access more information from your meter, hence why the OVO Meter Reading page works for you, but the 30min usage on the OVO usage page doesn't. 

So it does not look like the issue is specific to the DCC Other User role but it is great they are getting the DCC to investigate as the DCC may be able to fix the issue hopefully for all "Roles" 

Did you ever get a letter saying your meter was being migrated?

@Jeffus I haven’t had a letter to say my meter is being migrated. I rent the house and have been here for 2.5 years.