Solved

How far apart can my meters be to allow a smart meter upgrade?

Show first post

86 replies

Hi Emmanuelle_OVO,

Thanks for the advice. I do hope that next time the job report will be taken into account.

In the meantime, I’m happy to read both meters and submit them online. I am significantly over 65, but I’m sure there are many more deserving cases than mine.

Userlevel 7

Okay @GrandpaG, keep us posted with what progresses if you can!

Would love to see this resolved for you. 

My electric meter is  located approx. 35 meters away from the property it supplies, will a smart meter work 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @B.M. !

If you’re Electric Only then yup, you’re definitely good to go. The IHD might struggle but the electric meter itself should be fine.

If you’re Dual-Fuel then there are magic tricks like Dual-Band Comms Hubs which can easily cover that distance like it’s nothing. Those will be deployed if needed to help with the gas meter and IHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @B.M. , it’s not the distance from a property that’s key to this but the signal in your area. 
Will there be a meter for both fuels or just one?

I would prefer smart meter for both Gas and Electric, but i was told by engineer that my electric meter was too far away from property 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When were you told that?

It was during a visit last October to fit a smart meter, let me explain a bit more, the property is a log chalet, it was moved some years ago, although it was moved, the electric meter stayed where it was, a Mains gas supply was connected some time after.  The Electric meter is now approx. 35 meters away from Chalet

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Based on what I know, AltHAN should still work for that. Try booking again as this is what AltHAN and DBCH are designed for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wonder if there’s another factor rather than distance from the property. You mention that the log cabin was moved, so is the meter in its own housing? Is it difficult to work on ?

Are there any other factors at your location?

Housing is sound, i suggest that the Engineer did not want to do the job, i will try again