Solved

How far apart can my meters be to allow a smart meter upgrade?

Show first post

86 replies

Userlevel 7

We can sort out a signal relay @sethmthomas - see above for more info on what this does. 

Chase up yours (which will be posted out to you) via webchat on the Help Centre.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m a little puzzled by what the Installer told you @sethmthomas.

I would expect that meters supplied in June would be [color=#A00080]SMETS2[/color] variety. The intermediate boosters were only provided as part of [color=#D00070]SMETS1[/color] installations.

With OVO’s agreement, I actually conducted a trial at my house in May where I deployed a [color=#00C0D0]ZigBee relay[/color] on my [color=#A00080]SMETS2[/color]  installation which had lost communication with the Gas Meter.

The relay device made no difference, wherever I placed it, despite me requesting that the Gas Meter retry to make the connection.

The issue was resolved only when OVO’s SMETS2 Team used my [color=#5060b0]Communications Hub[/color] as part of a software upgrade trial about a month later. There were in fact no issues with signal strength itself.

Signal boosters/relays are not an approved part of a [color=#A00080]SMETS2 Smart Meter[/color] installation.

Thank you Tim.  I’ll look forward to receiving the relay.  Apart from the distance between the smart meter and the gas meter there are also a couple of very thick walls so hopefully the relay will fix the problem.  I am still mystified why I have not been charged for gas usage when I have been submitting the readings each month.

Seth.

Userlevel 5

It sounds like the engineer hasn’t sent us the information we need to arrange for a relay to be sent out. Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number.

If you don’t use social media, get in touch though webchat on the Help Centre.

My existing Gas meter is located in the garage.  My existing Electricity meter is located inside the house.  Does this situation preclude me from having a Smart Meter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Nope! That should be fine, especially with the new Dual-Band Comms Hubs and other magic tricks. :)

I have Dual Fuel and wanted a smart meter for unfortunately I could only have the electric meter due to the gas meter being too far away?

The distance isnt that far and roughly 10m but it is outside, one floor down through two solid non cavity walls!

I hear, since the Gas smart meter is reliant on a 10yr battery (no local supply) it uses some small low frequency radio transmitter to the electric meter?

Has this improved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are some tests that are being carried out now using something called AltHAN to extend the range

https://althanco.com

OVO are involved in the testing but I think the system hasn’t been released quite yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s also the Dual-Band Comms Hubs which are already fully available. You might be able to get your Comms Hub swapped out for one of those as part of the gas upgrade so it’s worth talking to Support about it. Those puppies have some serious range too! :)

AltHAN isn’t quite ready yet.

There are some tests that are being carried out now using something called AltHAN to extend the range

https://althanco.com

OVO are involved in the testing but I think the system hasn’t been released quite yet

cheers! I will look into that one :)

There’s also the Dual-Band Comms Hubs which are already fully available. You might be able to get your Comms Hub swapped out for one of those as part of the gas upgrade so it’s worth talking to Support about it. Those puppies have some serious range too! :)

AltHAN isn’t quite ready yet.

ah! fantastic! I will get onto support about this! :)

Installation was in Edinburgh on 1 August 2023. The installer could not get the hub (EDMI Standard 420 DB) to communicate with the gas meter (Flonidan Uniflo G4SDZV-2). He tried rebooting the hub and it still failed to connect.

The IHD3 seems to be working, and displays data from the electricity meter.

There seemed to be no automatic follow up process, but the installer offered to fill in a form if I wanted him to report the issue - I said yes, of course, and have heard nothing back.

The meters are only about 5m apart, but the installer suggested the stone wall might be the issue, and said I’d need to book a new visit to get the problem investigated.

Yesterday I filled in the standard OVO form(not much of a form!) that just asks for your account and meter numbers, and says they’ll get back to me - no acknowledgement yet. The form was showing the old meter numbers, so I fed in the new numbers.

When I log in to my OVO account, the old meter numbers are still showing but the electricity and gas usage implies that OVO are receiving data from the new meters.

When do you think I’m likely to hear back from OVO?

If the problem is the stone wall of the house, are there any solutions available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy! Forum volunteer here.

I definitely think that the stone wall is probably the issue. OVO will be in touch once they’ve reviewed the engineer report and gotten through any backlogs, so within the next few weeks at most.

Thanks, I’ve heard others say that a survey was done before installation, but that wasn’t offered.

I’m sure they’re busy, but I’d expect an acknowledgment that my problem has been logged.

I’m hoping OVO will (soon?) offer a visit to check out the signal strength.

There are a lot of stone-walled houses, especially in this area, so I still wonder if there are possible solutions to my problem.

From what I’ve read, the hub can’t be fitted with an aerial, which could direct the signal appropriately. Why not use the house wiring to get the signal closer to the gas meter? My understanding is that they had such a system, called the smart relay, which was discontinued because it had a security bug. If so, why not fix the bug.

Our gas meter was originally inside the house, where there would only be a brick internal wall between it and the hub. If no other solution is offered, I might have to ask them to move it back to where it was - cost £145 I gather. Clearly I’d want them to do a survey to check feasibility, perhaps at additional cost?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Fixing that bug was completely impossible and besides, no longer needed. AltHAN is the future - that’ll sort you out.

Yes, and I understand full rollout of AltHAN was supposed to start in July. Perhaps I should have waited a bit longer to agree to the OVO installation, but how would I have known if they’d be using AltHAN?

Meanwhile, the 868MHz frequency of dual band hubs was supposed to improve things, including for properties with stone walls.

Can you confirm my EDMI Standard 420 DB is dual band, and will be using the 868MHz frequency?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

AltHAN is not part of the Dual-Band thing, but it can be retrofitted iirc. But yes, that Comms Hub is Dual-Band capable

Thanks for all your assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Installation was in Edinburgh on 1 August 2023. The installer could not get the hub (EDMI Standard 420 DB) to communicate with the gas meter (Flonidan Uniflo G4SDZV-2). He tried rebooting the hub and it still failed to connect.

The IHD3 seems to be working, and displays data from the electricity meter.

There seemed to be no automatic follow up process, but the installer offered to fill in a form if I wanted him to report the issue - I said yes, of course, and have heard nothing back.

The meters are only about 5m apart, but the installer suggested the stone wall might be the issue, and said I’d need to book a new visit to get the problem investigated.

Yesterday I filled in the standard OVO form(not much of a form!) that just asks for your account and meter numbers, and says they’ll get back to me - no acknowledgement yet. The form was showing the old meter numbers, so I fed in the new numbers.

When I log in to my OVO account, the old meter numbers are still showing but the electricity and gas usage implies that OVO are receiving data from the new meters.

When do you think I’m likely to hear back from OVO?

If the problem is the stone wall of the house, are there any solutions available?

So I assume the old meter numbers are still on this page? That is not particularly unusual after a week, but keep an eye on it. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

You say you can see reading from your new smart meter though

Do you see smart meter readings on these pages?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

For example like this with the word smart next to it? 

Hi Jeffus,

The plan page shows new electricity and old gas meter numbers.

Meter reading page shows new electricity meter and old gas meter

On meter reading history pages -

now showing daily smart readings from 2 Aug to date.

no smart gas readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus,

The plan page shows new electricity and old gas meter numbers.

Meter reading page shows new electricity meter and old gas meter

On meter reading history pages -

now showing daily smart readings from 2 Aug to date.

no smart gas readings.

I suggest you don't enter manual readings for gas on the ovo website yet. 

Are you able to take manual readings from the new gas meter? Just to check it is actually working standalone? 

The gas meter is currently reading about 11 cubic metres.

I’m due to submit the next reading on 18th Aug.

Unless OVO show the new meter number by then, I’d be lying. 😨

Userlevel 7

Smart meters went in on the 1st August unless I’m mistaken, @GrandpaG. My advice is to sit tight, don’t submit any manual meter readings and give us a chance to set things up behind the scenes. It can take up to 6 weeks from the smart meter installation date. 

When all of your details are updated on your online account, ideally after the 6 week period has passed, complete the smart meter health check here which gets sent straight to the right team.

Hi Tim_OVO,

I’ll take your advice and sit tight. No gas meter readings until the new meter appears on my account - I assume. Although I don’t see why that should take 6 weeks when the new electricity meter has already appeared.

I found that form on the help page, and submitted it. It wasn’t really a health check though, as it didn’t ask me any questions about whether the installation is working.

The OVO response on the form is now -

“It looks like we have an open query on your smart meters, we’ll investigate further and get back to you within 45 working days.”