Solved

How do I read my gas smart meter for the switch? Is it in cubic meters or kWh?

• 4 March 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi, I moved away from ovo to Scottish power last year and had a major issue around meter readings. SP said ovo use first gen meters which don’t match to other suppliers so the usual ovo reading didn’t match anything with SP.

I’m now returning to ovo and I’m concerned that the same thing will happen only in reverse. Can someone please tell me which readings I need from the meters please. Also please don’t send me to the usual link on the ovo website as it doesn’t tell me anything about specific readings.

For info, for gas, SP want the volume cubic meters reading. I’m sure ovo prefer the imp kWh reading. Is this correct.

Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 4 March 2018, 17:47

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Great question to check before your switch back to OVO.

Hopefully your Smart meters will start communicating with us again once your switch is complete but we’d still recommend taking the reading manually for your opening reading.

Here’s how to take the reading from your Smart meter-

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters:

There’s a slight difference between the the S1 meters we installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters:

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

We’ll need to know your gas reading in metres cubed so the meter screen will show the correct reading with M3 next to it.  If you have an older non-smart meter this might be measured in cubic feet or ft3. This reading will get converted into kWh on your monthly summary.

You can submit the opening reading on your online account or via the OVO app (available to download for Android or iOS)

Good luck with the switch - Welcome back! :grinning:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!