Tutorial

Have storage heaters, underfloor heating or other 5th terminal appliances? Now you can get a SMETS2 smart meter - DIY tutorial series

• 25 August 2020
  • 12 replies
Have storage heaters, underfloor heating or other 5th terminal appliances? Now you can get a SMETS2 smart meter - DIY tutorial series
Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/03/21: Not got a smart meter yet? Book in your S2 meter fitting appointment, here. You'll need your account number to book this in, which you can find in your online account, here.

To review our plans and get your switch to OVO sorted in minutes, click here.

SMETS2 5th port smart meters - your guide

You’re now able to book 5 terminal/port SMETS2 meter installations online or via your online account, subject to available engineers. 

What is a 5 terminal meter?

A 5 terminal/port meter is an electricity meter with an extra terminal. This extra terminal usually wires up to alternative heating solutions such as underfloor heating, storage heaters, or Kaluza smart heat

How does the SMETS2 5 terminal meter work?

5 terminal meters are most often used for members on two rate tariffs. The 5th terminal will only be powered on during the off-peak hours of the your tariff. 

Technical info here, but for those interested, unlike SMETS1 the 5th terminals behaviour is not dictated by the tariff set up on the meter, but instead through an auxiliary specific service request called ECAUL (Control Auxiliary Load). The ECAUL process consists of two service requests (6.14.1 & 6.14.2) that allows us to set up the on/off schedule for the 5th terminal of the meter. The on/off times will reflect switch times of your tariff.  The ECAUL will be sent to the meter once it is set up (commissioned). 

Troubleshooting

If your heating isn’t switching on as expected following an S2 5 terminal meter exchange, it may be because of an issue with the configuration of this meter. 

• If your heating isn't turning on at all, reach out to our Support team, here.
  • If your heating is switching on but at a different time to when you expect, reach out to our Support team, here.

Both of these scenarios are likely to be related to the smart meter, which we can usually fix remotely. 

Guides

If you’re not sure about heating systems, we have a great 5 part tutorial made by one of our volunteers. Check out part 1 here

Info on SMETS2 meter installations here 

SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide - here

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

SMETS2 smart meter guide - here

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

OVO smart meters explained - here

OVO’s National update of SMETS1 meters guide - here

Smart meter appointment booking portal - here

In Home Display (IHD) topic guides:

SMETS1 Pipet In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

SMETS1 Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

SMETS2 In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

That’s it for our guide on 5th port SMETS2 smart meters. Have we missed anything? Let us know as a comment below. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s good news. But I presume the 5-terminal meters you’re installing are made by Aclara or EDMI?

The Elster Honeywell AS302P in the photo above is a 4-terminal which OVO have been installing for a year now.

Here’s a photo of the EDMI ES-12B. The Aclara layout of terminals is identical.

Userlevel 7

Let me check on make and model, @Transparent 

If we can confirm, I’ll change the image. Is the one above free to use, if it turns out to be the model being used?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I clip such images, I source them from the manufacturer’s own publicity material. After all, we  are commenting favourably, and extending their marketing reach so I can’t see anyone objecting!

I was going to use an Aclara image, but there wasn’t a photo with such a clear view of the terminals in the base. I’m sure they’ll supply one if we ask.

Userlevel 7

I was going to use an Aclara image, but there wasn’t a photo with such a clear view of the terminals in the base. I’m sure they’ll supply one if we ask.

Well, we must just have to ask them. I’ve just confirmed the model of 5th port SMETS2 meters we’re fitting is the Aclara SGM1415B

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK. That makes sense. The SGM1415B is the 5-terminal model without the additional 2A relay (which no one uses anyway!). I’ll email their Publicity Dept. and ask for photos.

I'm trying to book for 5 port smart meter (Smets2) but I can't. I don't understand are those available or not?? I'm trying to have one over 8 months. 

Userlevel 7

I'm trying to book for 5 port smart meter (Smets2) but I can't. I don't understand are those available or not?? I'm trying to have one over 8 months. 

Thanks for posting, @Constantin Pacurar 

You should be able to book this in online - one of the questions will relate to your appliances such as storage heaters, underfloor heating etc and if you confirm you have an appliance connected to a 5th port, it will ensure this is the smart meter type booked in. 

If you’re not able to confirm that, or if you have any doubt, call our Support team to get this booked in and any questions answered: 0330 303 5063.

I’m going to update this topic now, to make it much more clear.

Hello - I’m having an issue with my eco7/ smart meter at the moment and wondering if it is something OVO can help sort out (Not currently with OVO, but my current supplier aren’t able/ willing to help)

Basically, I’m renting a flat which has had an eco7 set up for years. The previous tenants however decided to get a smart meter installed and when this work was carried out the eco7 fusebox was disconnected, meaning that whilst we still have an eco7 fusebox, there is no electricity going from the smart meter to the eco7 fusebox.

We have had several electricians visit, all of whom have said the only remedy is to get our electricity supplier out to reconnect the fusebox, however this has been harder than I expected. Our landlady is really wanting to get the eco7 reconnected as she is wanting to install storage heaters in the flat.

Is this something that OVO can help us with?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @robturner07  and welcome to the Forum.

I think we could do with a bit more information on the existing Smart Meter, and possibly a photo.

The preferred method of having a separate E7 fusebox (more usually call a Consumer Unit) is to have a 5-terminal Smart Meter. This has two “live” outputs, one of which is only energised when the cheap-rate electricity is available.

It’s worthwhile noting that the concept of Economy-7 is being replaced by more flexible tariffs. As we include more sources of renewable energy within the Mix, there will be “cheap rate” electricity available on sunny and windy days too.

The 5-terminal Smart Meter is future-proofed against these changes because your Energy Supplier can send alternative tariffs to your site on a daily basis, allowing you to choose whether you’d like to take advantage of these daytime slots.

There is an alternative method to achieve the same effect if it is specifically Storage Radiators that you want to have installed.

You could purchase the innovative Quantum radiators, manufactured by Dimplex.

Dimplex Quantum control panel

The Quantum has an integral control panel which links to the Flex Platform, designed and operated by Kaluza.

The central Flex computer has direct connections to the National Wholesale Electricity Market and weather forecast data. This data combined such that the Quantum is supplied with the required quantity of the cheapest electricity in order to meet your set-temperature for the next 24 hours.

The user need not know when the radiator is receiving power, nor try to second-guess how much to store for the following day. The Quantum units can be connected to your ordinary Consumer Unit, rather than a separate E7 supply. Flex automatically adjusts your bill downwards because it knows how much energy was actually supplied for the radiators.

Userlevel 7

Hi @robturner07  and welcome to the Forum.

I think we could do with a bit more information on the existing Smart Meter, and possibly a photo.

Are we able get this sent over, @robturner07?

The preferred method of having a separate E7 fusebox (more usually call a Consumer Unit) is to have a 5-terminal Smart Meter. This has two “live” outputs, one of which is only energised when the cheap-rate electricity is available.

Yep I suspect a 4 port smart meter was fitted, and the main consumer unit was connected, with the off peak consumer unit being disconnected. 

If that’s the case, we will be able to fit a 5th port smart meter, but unless your smart meter has a fault, it will be at a cost of £106 (£325 if 3 phase). More info here:

You could purchase the innovative Quantum radiators, manufactured by Dimplex.

Dimplex Quantum control panel

The Quantum has an integral control panel which links to the Flex Platform, designed and operated by Kaluza.

@Transparent please be aware that the OVO are no longer offering Dimplex heating solutions to new customers. See our update page here for more info. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @Tim_OVO . I wasn’t aware that the Quantum storage heater was a Trial. I thought it was a fully commercial product, available from Dimplex outlets.

Hi @Transparent and @Tim_OVO  - Thanks so much for your replies, super helpful!

Yeah, our current smart meter rs a Landis + Gyr one, pictures below - It looks like it is a 4 port meter instead of the 5 port, so would need replaced if we want to use the eco7 function.

Thanks again for your help both!