Tutorial

Have storage heaters, underfloor heating or other 5th terminal appliances? Now you can get a SMETS2 smart meter - DIY tutorial series

• 25 August 2020
  • 7 replies
Have storage heaters, underfloor heating or other 5th terminal appliances? Now you can get a SMETS2 smart meter - DIY tutorial series
Userlevel 7

SMETS2 5th port smart meters - your guide

You’re now able to book 5 terminal/port SMETS2 meter installations online or via your online account, subject to available engineers. 

What is a 5 terminal meter?

A 5 terminal/port meter is an electricity meter with an extra terminal. This extra terminal usually wires up to alternative heating solutions such as underfloor heating, storage heaters, or Kaluza smart heat

How does the SMETS2 5 terminal meter work?

5 terminal meters are most often used for members on two rate tariffs. The 5th terminal will only be powered on during the off-peak hours of the your tariff. 

Technical info here, but for those interested, unlike SMETS1 the 5th terminals behaviour is not dictated by the tariff set up on the meter, but instead through an auxiliary specific service request called ECAUL (Control Auxiliary Load). The ECAUL process consists of two service requests (6.14.1 & 6.14.2) that allows us to set up the on/off schedule for the 5th terminal of the meter. The on/off times will reflect switch times of your tariff.  The ECAUL will be sent to the meter once it is set up (commissioned). 

Troubleshooting

If your heating isn’t switching on as expected following an S2 5 terminal meter exchange, it may be because of an issue with the configuration of this meter. 

• If your heating isn't turning on at all, reach out to our Support team, here.
  • If your heating is switching on but at a different time to when you expect, reach out to our Support team, here.

Both of these scenarios are likely to be related to the smart meter, which we can usually fix remotely. 

Guides

If you’re not sure about heating systems, we have a great 5 part tutorial made by one of our volunteers. Check out part 1 here

Info on SMETS2 meter installations here 

SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide - here

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

SMETS2 smart meter guide - here

SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check guide - here

OVO smart meters explained - here

OVO’s National update of SMETS1 meters guide - here

Smart meter appointment booking portal - here

In Home Display (IHD) topic guides:

SMETS1 Pipet In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

SMETS1 Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

SMETS2 In Home Display (IHD) guide - here

That’s it for our guide on 5th port SMETS2 smart meters. Have we missed anything? Let us know as a comment below. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s good news. But I presume the 5-terminal meters you’re installing are made by Aclara or EDMI?

The Elster Honeywell AS302P in the photo above is a 4-terminal which OVO have been installing for a year now.

Here’s a photo of the EDMI ES-12B. The Aclara layout of terminals is identical.

Userlevel 7

Let me check on make and model, @Transparent 

If we can confirm, I’ll change the image. Is the one above free to use, if it turns out to be the model being used?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When I clip such images, I source them from the manufacturer’s own publicity material. After all, we  are commenting favourably, and extending their marketing reach so I can’t see anyone objecting!

I was going to use an Aclara image, but there wasn’t a photo with such a clear view of the terminals in the base. I’m sure they’ll supply one if we ask.

Userlevel 7

I was going to use an Aclara image, but there wasn’t a photo with such a clear view of the terminals in the base. I’m sure they’ll supply one if we ask.

Well, we must just have to ask them. I’ve just confirmed the model of 5th port SMETS2 meters we’re fitting is the Aclara SGM1415B

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OK. That makes sense. The SGM1415B is the 5-terminal model without the additional 2A relay (which no one uses anyway!). I’ll email their Publicity Dept. and ask for photos.

I'm trying to book for 5 port smart meter (Smets2) but I can't. I don't understand are those available or not?? I'm trying to have one over 8 months. 

Userlevel 7

I'm trying to book for 5 port smart meter (Smets2) but I can't. I don't understand are those available or not?? I'm trying to have one over 8 months. 

Thanks for posting, @Constantin Pacurar 

You should be able to book this in online - one of the questions will relate to your appliances such as storage heaters, underfloor heating etc and if you confirm you have an appliance connected to a 5th port, it will ensure this is the smart meter type booked in. 

If you’re not able to confirm that, or if you have any doubt, call our Support team to get this booked in and any questions answered: 0330 303 5063.

I’m going to update this topic now, to make it much more clear.