F.A.Q.

Are there any disadvantages to getting a smart meter?

• 12 August 2021
  • 60 replies
Are there any disadvantages to getting a smart meter?

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re welcome. Personally, I’m all for constructive contributions as they help a ton. Even the ones we do backstage often lead to breakthroughs that we then make public… Or they sometimes just end up being us chatting away for fun. Either way, it keeps us busy and we enjoy it.

It’s getting late, so I’ll be heading to bed once I’ve serviced the last couple of questions that have been posted today. Knowing my luck though, Western Power Distribution will probably panic about something and post here again… :)

I am not seeking debate on Electro sensitivity science is only as valid as the criteria used to measure it .

My question was how to avoid Smart metering, which it seems is not possible if it is set up to replace  an E7 meter as they need to differentiate night and day usage for the tariff.  

1. can I ask NOT to have a dual read meter to replace the old one with a fault? My current tariff is a price per unit irrespective of time of day.
  2. If there is provision for medical evidence as to NOT having smart metering and getting it set to DUMB settings, what is acceptable
  3. Is there any company willing to offer NON Smart metering

Thanks so much and I apologise for this digressing in the flawed world of science !!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s the snag.

Every supplier I’ve checked so far has confirmed or at least reported that their remaining stocks of traditional credit meters have been depleted to zero and they’re not willing and/or able to switch off Smart functionality. Octopus also commented that they don’t think any supplier can easily source more either. It sounds like even if a supplier wanted to install non-smart, they’d have a nightmare doing so.

Essentially no company can offer a new non-smart meter unfortunately. I’m afraid there would be no medical evidence to not having a smart meter unless you went with an unapproved holistic alternative which wouldn’t be accepted anywhere.  

I sympathise with your position and how you’re feeling, wish there was a better answer for this 

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

3.  Is there any company willing to offer NON Smart metering

I think it should be possible to turn off the transmission part in the comms hub of any smart meter. The meter may still need to be able to receive transmissions, though, and this is radiation that you’re not going to be able to avoid any more than mobile phone or television signals .  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid there’s no known SMETS Command for it though. The ability to shut off the transmissions at all was (if my understanding is correct) completely nuked from S2 during development.

And as part of networking protocols like TCP/IP, the recipient must reply to confirm receipt of whatever was sent to it, otherwise the packets will be re-sent. It’s the same here with Smart Meters. No response may result in multiple retries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I am not seeking debate on Electro sensitivity science is only as valid as the criteria used to measure it .

My question was how to avoid Smart metering, which it seems is not possible if it is set up to replace  an E7 meter as they need to differentiate night and day usage for the tariff.  

1. can I ask NOT to have a dual read meter to replace the old one with a fault? My current tariff is a price per unit irrespective of time of day.
  2. If there is provision for medical evidence as to NOT having smart metering and getting it set to DUMB settings, what is acceptable
  3. Is there any company willing to offer NON Smart metering

Thanks so much and I apologise for this digressing in the flawed world of science !!! 

Hi @TLC2023 i suspect you are not going to make any more progress on this thread.

All i can suggest is you have a full diagnosis of your condition from a GMC (General Medical Council) registered practitioner (private or NHS) and get their opinion in writing as to whether you can't have a smart meter.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/the-medical-register

If you get that in writing, then speak to your current supplier. 

Thank you all so much for your replies. It is a very sad society we live in where personal choice is eroded.  I think I am most upset because my supplier assured me I could have a DUMB meter in February and that has been denied.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I just wanted to circle back onto this one with an update.

I’ve spoken directly to two of OVO’s senior managers today who lead the Smart Metering stuff. They’re about as high as you can go and are my go-to for these things. I just don’t tend to get to chat with them directly very often.

They’ve confirmed the following. Please be advised that these words are theirs and not mine:

• Smart Functionality CANNOT be disabled on SMETS2 kit under any circumstances whatsoever
  • The ability to disable Smart Functionality on SMETS1 no longer exists and possibly never even existed at all
  • There is no “Dumb Mode” option available - the only Mode available is Smart Mode
  • The Comms Hub, IHD and Meters will start transmitting the very moment any of them gets powered up - this is “fire and forget” out-of-the-box behaviour and engineers cannot override this, nor disable it
  • Public Health England has already completed a full review into the health and safety of Smart Meters and found zero issues and no triggers that could set off EHS symptoms
  • EHS does not exist (again, their words and not mine) and there’s no medical practitioner who will diagnose it
  • That someone who truly does have EHS wouldn’t even be able to have Sky TV, leave the house, go near lampposts, walk down the street or even go near police officers, paramedics or firefighters due to the Airwave Network and TETRA Radios (and the underlying Vodafone system running them) being very powerful. In other words, such a person wouldn’t be able to even leave the house - all the RFI/EMI noise from every possible source would be unbearable (and I personally agree with this point based on the longer and more technical explanation provided to all the forum volunteers in the call)
  • There are no longer options to acquire Traditional/Heritage Meters because stocks have dried up and none are being manufactured anymore

This will probably become the de-facto answer I give going forwards to anyone else who brings this up.

thanks for this rather dystopian news… No choice, no option  no preference… Only option I guess is to be off grid.. thank you so much for investigating this.. For the time being since one of the dials on our meter is turning all the time, we have reached an arrangement for my meter to stay in place …. Thanks for all the support and input . so grateful