Solved

Are Economy 10 tariffs available yet?

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Cutter***
  • 4 replies

Does anyone have any information re economy 10 tariff that was supposed to be available before the end of this year?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 30 October 2023, 14:56

View original

246 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you looked on the prices and plans page @IanC ? https://plans.ovoenergy.com/
It does depend on location but I can see a ‘Smart Economy 9’ for example. 
Be aware though that OVO can’t change some meters to multi rate due to their billing system 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 01/01/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great question! OVO does now offer Economy 10 plans for the Simpler Variable Tariff. 

If you have a ‘complex meter’ type and are trying to sign up online, you may be invited to call up instead. 

Find out more about these meter types in this helpful FAQ:

We don’t currently offer fixed rate contracts for Economy 10, If this changes in future we’ll let you know 🙂​​​​​​​

Userlevel 2

We have now been told that OVO don't offer E10 on a Smart Meter & we should never have been offered it by SSE! It appears that we had a Smart Meter fitted on Economy 10 with SSE in March. When we migrated to OVO in August Economy 10 wasn't a tariff OVO offered But NOBODY TOLD US!! I think so we have been on E7 since.  The local setup still thinks we are on E10 and the heating etc. still boosts for 10 hours per day, but that means 5 hours at expensive heating! The charging pattern on Storage Radiators is still E10 but we have been losing 5 hours of cheap electricity a day!.

There's talk of compensation, well see! Disgraceful! We can't be the only customers affect by this.

It explains why it was so difficult to reconcile readings with usage!

My advice would be not accept a Smart Meter until you are certain that E10 is available on it!

Userlevel 2

E10 must be offered by all providers at the latest when the Rollout of Smart Meters is complete. OVO are saying March next year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We have now been told that OVO don't offer E10 on a Smart Meter & we should never have been offered it by SSE! It appears that we had a Smart Meter fitted on Economy 10 with SSE in March. When we migrated to OVO in August Economy 10 wasn't a tariff OVO offered But NOBODY TOLD US!! I think so we have been on E7 since.  The local setup still thinks we are on E10 and the heating etc. still boosts for 10 hours per day, but that means 5 hours at expensive heating! The charging pattern on Storage Radiators is still E10 but we have been losing 5 hours of cheap electricity a day!.

There's talk of compensation, well see! Disgraceful! We can't be the only customers affect by this.

It explains why it was so difficult to reconcile readings with usage!

My advice would be not accept a Smart Meter until you are certain that E10 is available on it!

I am surprised to hear that.

For example here is a description of E9 with three off peak times on a smart meter

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/electric-heating/economy-9

I am pretty sure SSE customers were meant to come across on exactly the same tariff under the ofgem regulations.

Userlevel 7

I am pretty sure SSE customers were meant to come across on exactly the same tariff under the ofgem regulations.

Yes this is also my understanding, @pegem. You should keep your smart meter settings so that your 10 hours of off peak usage remains. 

Are you aware when your eco-10 times are? If so, have a look at the meter readings for each register and see which one changes. I would expect it to be the off peak register...

Userlevel 3

I am the Unicorn here! I am a former SSE customer. I have been on Economy 10 tariff since I moved in June 2022. About a year ago I requested SSE install a smart meter. In May, I was migrated to Ovo. The tariff has been consistent throughout the time (well, consistently Eco 10, but a thrilling variable tariff rollercoaster🎢).

I do like the tariff. I have turned off the storage heater (for good) and using convection heating instead, but I am still spending less money than I would be using the equivalent single rate. 

I was going to add where I lived, but SSE has closed down completely, so everyone who was on Eco 10 with when their accounts were moved across, must have been moved to an equivalent tariff. West London, FWIW and I am on Simpler Energy - Economy 10.

Usage graph indicating 3 off peak times with storage heater on.

Userlevel 4

I too am an ex-SSE customer, and have a thread documenting my ongoing nightnmare with Ovo and E10

First of all after migration I appeared to be on E10 timings but with inverted tatiff….ie peak rate at cheap rate times etc etc

In Octobe they supposedly corrected this only for me to find my meter was now on E7 timings, with only two changes a day Midnight and 7am. This is still the case today, however my page on the website clearly says Economy 10

Since migration I havent had a single bill that shows usage, except for a very brief period in October. Most of the time its just standing charges and Powermove credits. The Usage page of the site says”We can find some of your data” which is pretty remarkable seeing as all my meter readings are viewable on another page of the site

Im VERY wary that eventually Ovo will wake up and send me a huge bill. Im setting money aside but other customers Ive spoken to say OVO just pass ‘Adjustments’ which cant be checked or reconciled

Another customer (via the ombudsman) alleges that Ovo were fully aware their systems couldnt handle E10 migrations but did them anyway. If thats the case then compensation is absolutely due to all affected.

I have set the eight week clock running on my formal complaint, but so far all i get is generic (read useless) replies from hello@ovo

Theres a mini-scandal here and it needs to be exposed

Userlevel 7

Hey @MikeMilf,

Forum_Support will be in touch, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Userlevel 4

Thank you...have received their message and will see what happens

Userlevel 2

I've had a reply from CS, (copy below) I think it's outrageous that OVO can impose a tariff that we didn't sign up for! Our meter is still on E10 timings so we are not even enjoying the full benefit of E7 timings! Our contract clearly is for E10. Compensation is due for the period up to whenever they do introduce E10.

"I've taken a look at the load test you've performed, you are on economy 7. The meter off peak hours are 12-7am as I have mentioned previously, this may change in March 2024 but the date is not guaranteed. The meter does not work in Economy 10 hours anymore it is simply impossible with this smart meter. As a business OVO decided to remain with Standard Time for smart meters. This is so the switch times are in line with our SSC's we commonly use, such as 0151 and 0244 which are both Time switch SSC's (Standard Settlement Configuration). Your meter is set up with 0244 this means it switched to off peak 12-7am this information is fixed into the smart meter at the moment and will not change. Please read the article I have included in this email for useful information, I know for OVO that having a smart meter on economy 10 is impossible right now but i'm unsure if other suppliers have the same issue. Finally, your complaint has been triaged and someone will be in touch when it is ready to be assigned to a complaints handler. Unfortunately I cannot give you an estimated time just yet."

Userlevel 4

Words fail me…..so when exactly were Ovo going to annouce this to customers? Seriously….this info has had to be dragged out of your company!

Two just as important things:

(1)   So how come prior to migration from SSE I was quite happily on E10 using the same smart meter? Or are you saying SSE were mis-billing me as well?

(2)   How on earth has this precluded Ovo from sending out a correct bill since August?

This is rapidly galloping toward becoming a legal matter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gonna be honest here…

Economy 10 is a legacy tariff that 99% of suppliers either don’t support anymore, or have expressed a desire to drop support. It was designed for an era that no longer exists, and it’s arguably no longer appropriate in todays world.

Whether a supplier wants to support E10 or not is purely down to their discretion. SSE had announced some time ago that they were going to kill off E10 support in the future - it just happens to be the case that OVO has never supported it.

You’ll struggle to find any supplier that’ll take you on with E10 support.

In my personal opinion I’d say any legal case against a supplier for something like this would probably fail - you’ve had tons of opportunities to do that research and ask ahead of time, but it sounds like you probably didn’t take those chances to do so.

Userlevel 4

…..and I would have handled that if Ovo had at any time told me that. Instead, Ive had four, yes four emails saying theyve investigated my account and all is as it should be. This despite not having a bill ove £20 in four months.

Looking at the ‘Your Plan’ page on the website, it clearly says I am on Economy 10 and gives all the times of day when my rates should be changing. Of course this doesnt match to what is actually happening as you say I will really be on E7

Needless to say I dont know whether Im being charged E7 or E10 rates, as Im not getting any flipping bills……..arrrgh

Userlevel 2

If it's like my setup, your meter will be switching on E10 timings, eg the storage radiators will be on three times per day! But the readings send to OVO will be on E7 timings, once per day at night. You are getting charged peak rates for 5 hours of power that should be at off-peak rates. Do a load test at E10 times plus 5 mins to see what your on. IF the IHD only shows a change of tariff at midnight to 07.00 then you are probably on E7. if it shows TOU change at 13.00, 16.00 20.00 23.00 and 00.00 then you are on E10 timings.

Userlevel 4

Well my IHD defo states timing changes are at midnight and 7am so E7 which doesnt match to the E10 stated on my plan page on the website

Will have to observe what time my off peak circuits actually switch on an off in flat to see if it matches E7 or E10

Am heartily sick of all this as its making me tetchy at a time of year I love. So methinks Im going to forget about this now until after Boxing Day

All I hope is that when the time comes, Ovo dont think they can just pass a series of arbritary adjustments and think I will forget about compensation for non-existent billing

Trust me that isnt going to happen

Userlevel 2

PS It seem they cant even get E7 tariff

right!!

Userlevel 4

Well that was easy,…..looked in my water cylinder cupboard, and the off-peak circuit light is on as it should be for E10 between 13:00 and 16:00

Trouble is my IHD is currently showing peak rate until Midnight so everyday I am being potntially overcharged when my flat thinks it cheap rate time

My dear old mum is coming to stay tomorrow, and she will need the storage heaters on constantly. I am going to get absolutely fleeced!

Userlevel 3

This is so strange; I really am on Economy 10. Maybe I just lucked in.  I got my smart meter last November from SSE, before my first winter in an all-electric home. That was 6 months before I was migrated to Ovo, so maybe at that point they had a meter configured to work with both systems?

As you can see from the graph above, my meter is turning on at the right times. After reading some stuff here, I wondered if I was actually on E7. But no, I managed to download my daily meter readings, and the day I turned on the storage heater (the only device I use connected to off peak circuit) on, my peak usage remained the same, but the off peak went up about 10x. Final check, the kWh on my last bill matched the daily readings exactly. 

Edit: the IHD also shows tariff changes and prices for E10

(Though the whole experience with getting the meter was its own form of torture. I spent literally hours on the phone trying to get an IHD. They kept claiming it was out of stock, or telling me to use their broken app. For six months! It was kafkaesque. Oh, I want to write a whole essay about it. Eventually I spoke to someone who told me the truth; the old IHD won’t work Ovo, so yeah, they are out of stock, but they weren’t planning to restock. I had to go to the ombudsman, and did get £75 for my pains. The IHD finally arrived after the ombudsman’s decision in my favour, but then I was migrated 2 weeks later, so maybe it was from Ovo stock. Now I know you can just go buy one, I am shocked they didn’t just order one from amazon to shut me up, or find one lying around. I wish I had it last year; 3 days after turning my storage heater on this year I have turned it off for good. Useless thing. Last year I was paying £10/day, and my tiny house never got about 13°C. House is warmer and bills are lower with convection heater)

Userlevel 4

I think you got very lucky with the end result :) Although yes I do also recall getting a smart meter and IHD from SSE was absolute torture

Having just looked at my actual meter, it is showing an active tariff of 31.85p which is what my IHD displays as current peak rate. All this when my flat thinks its in an off peak period and has that circuit active.

By my calcs Im likely to be overcharged  by around 34% in the afternoon and evening off peak E10 periods

How can I demand an engineer visit? Someone from Ovo needs to see this in the flesh as the people in CS and operating hello@ovo are clueless

Userlevel 2

Looks like you have the same problem as us, E10 switching E7 charging! If only they'd been honest with us in the first place. The bosses either don't understand their tariffs, or they don't care!

I doubt it we'll get any sense out of them until next year now! 

Merry Christmas 🎄 and a better New Year! 

Userlevel 7

Hey @pegem,

I’m sorry to hear this, it sounds very frustrating.

There is the option to raise a complaint if your unhappy with the information you’ve been given, it seems you’ve exhausted the customer support route. 

Userlevel 2

I've had a phone call from a Complaints Handler called Angel. She said the Metering team would send a reset and reprogram to make everything right! After what Awesta said, I don't think that will be possible.

OVO have consistently been economical with the truth,. They either dont understand thier own system or they just don't care. I realise that E10 customers are a very small part of their customer base, but surely we deserve a better service. 

Have a good Christmas 🎄🎁!

Userlevel 4

Well firstly, sincerely Best Wishes to all here for a really Happy Christmas despite what Ovo may throw at us lol.

Ive had to bite the bullet and turn on my storage heaters today as I have my old mum coming to stay tomorrow and she isnt going to freeze to death lol

With my immersion tank and one large storage heater switched on, my IHD shows a instant usage of £2.07 per hour (gulp).

Now my flat thinks its on E10 so at 1pm the off peak circuits kicked in for the afternoon warm up. Trouble is my meter thinks its E7 and so Im getting charged peak rate

Looking on the tariff section of the IHD, the peak rate is 34.2% higher than off peak  (31.85p v 23.73p). So of the £2.07 usage rate its potentially 53p of overcharge.

Five hours a day due to the wrong tariff timings means £2.65 per day or say £79.50 on a 30 day month.

I know its a bit basic maths but does it sound in the ball park?

Ahh never mind, I should be in the pub or wrapping presents, so thats what I’ll do. All the best ladies and gents

Userlevel 2

That's interesting, my tariff is c2p cheaper than yours!

Forget about it till next year, Have a good Christmas!