Solved

Is the OVO smart meter compatible with other suppliers?

• 3 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Is the OVO smart meter compatible with other suppliers ?
I have booked a smart meter installation for next week. I have emailed OVO twice with this question but no reply.
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 4 January 2019, 11:50

This is a very good question @soozy

OVO fit 'Secure' smart meters, which work with a load of other suppliers. See this topic which lists them all 🙂
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
This is a very good question @soozy

OVO fit 'Secure' smart meters, which work with a load of other suppliers. See this topic which lists them all 🙂
Want to be sure before I switch to OVO - had smart metres fitted last week - fitted by Eon and have been told they should allow me to switch to other providers - but want to check that I can seemlessly switch to OVO
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great to hear you're thinking about joining us, @calvinorr, please see @ITGeek123's link in the above best answer, for the answer to your query.

Hope this helps!

Hi all, I just want to pass on my annoyance at so called " smart meters" . I look after bills for a friend who is 93, I regularly change suppliers to find a cheaper tariff and he's had 2 different meters fitted because the one that was in was not compatible with the new supplier. Now I have recently changed to a new supplier from ovo and the meters are not compatible, so he will have had his meters changed 3 times in just over 3 years.

Is it really too much to ask to fit a meter that all suppliers use? This is taking up too much of my life, whoever come up with the idea of SMART METERS should be ashamed.

Will the smart meter work if I change suppliers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Here’s the topic you want, @Brian Scott :sunglasses:

Hi - I recently (summer 2019) had a Smart Meter installed by OVO, who assured me it would contine to work if I changed supplier. My contract came to an end and I moved to edf, as Ovo couldn’t match the deal. The smart meter is sending reading to the new supplier. However, the in-house display just says ‘Waiting for current date’. I’ve switched it off and on again, in the time-honoured fashion, but no joy. ANy ideas? Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Sorry to hear you’ve switched, @wrongsideof40, I’ve popped your post here as there is some handy info above.

If EDF are able to take readings they may need to re-pair the IHD to get it linked to their system, I’d recommend giving them a call.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this information. It is useful