Solved

Why can't I get a smart meter fitted with a semi concealed gas meter box?

I'm told I cannot have a smart meter beciase my standard meter is located outside Electric is in a white box and gas in a brown box I'm trying to get one as I would benifit greatly from one any ideas what can be done?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 1 June 2017, 18:16

I'm told I cannot have a smart meter beciase my standard meter is located outside Electric is in a white box and gas in a brown box I'm trying to get one as I would benifit greatly from one any ideas what can be done?

Hi @Nathano

@Mattj3135 is spot on in saying that these fittings need to be based on a case by case basis. With your set up, it sounds like the engineer couldn't fit the gas smart meter as your meter box is semi concealed, meaning it's half dug into the ground.

Some of these boxes are big enough to fit the meter, as long as the engineer has a bracket on them to ensure they can tilt the meter upwards. However for prepayment customers, we don't fit them. The meter screen would be too close to the meter box wall even with the bracket, which isn't suitable for prepayment customers, as they need to use the meter's keypad to reconnect after going off supply.

If you want me to call the engineer and make sure this is the reason the meters couldn't be fitted, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB. If you don't use social media send the team an email on hello@ovoenergy.com.

A quick last note: I've edited the title and moved the topic to the All about energy forum, to help other users with the same query find it.

Thanks,
Tim

UPDATED 27/06/19
View original

33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Nathano welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

It really does depend on where the meters are located as per this for topic which you may want to check out: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/whats-the-maximum-distance-between-meters-to-go-smart-339/index1.html

It's normally done on a case by case basis - has an engineer been out and confirmed they can't fit the meters? If not I'd suggest you schedule an appointment to do this

Hope this helps
Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Nathano

@Mattj3135 is spot on in saying that these fittings need to be based on a case by case basis. With your set up, it sounds like the engineer couldn't fit the gas smart meter as your meter box is semi concealed, meaning it's half dug into the ground.

Some of these boxes are big enough to fit the meter, as long as the engineer has a bracket on them to ensure they can tilt the meter upwards. However for prepayment customers, we don't fit them. The meter screen would be too close to the meter box wall even with the bracket, which isn't suitable for prepayment customers, as they need to use the meter's keypad to reconnect after going off supply.

If you want me to call the engineer and make sure this is the reason the meters couldn't be fitted, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB. If you don't use social media send the team an email on hello@ovoenergy.com.

A quick last note: I've edited the title and moved the topic to the All about energy forum, to help other users with the same query find it.

Thanks,
Tim

UPDATED 27/06/19
Ok so I called ovo again today

I think I understand why there would be some problems fitting the smart meter into a semi concealed meter box as the new smart meters are fitted facing forwards as opposed to upwards like the basic prepayment meter but surly this be easily sorted by tilting the meter 45 degrees

Also I thought one of the pros to having a prepayment smart meter was to be able to top up via an app rather than having to keep inserting the card therefore not needing constant access?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Nathano The issue would be if a Pay as you go customer went off supply, as @Tim_OVO mentioned, the customer would need access to the meter keypad to be able to reconnect their supplies.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ping @Tim_OVO (if you haven't already) if you’d like him to help further.

Lucy
Current gas meter is external to the property below ground and covered by a hatch - there is no space for a smart meter. Electricity meter is in a cupboard indoors, again with limited space. How and where would a dual fuel smart meter be fitted? Additionally, there is no landline or cable telephone/ broadband connection to the property - how would the smart meter function? Rather than being a free installation, I can foresee I would not be able to obtain a costing prior to installation and with no prior quote, just end up with a massive uncontrolled bill following installation.
Added to this the numerous negative reports on smart meters, I will stick to sending in meter readings!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Current gas meter is external to the property below ground and covered by a hatch - there is no space for a smart meter. Electricity meter is in a cupboard indoors, again with limited space. How and where would a dual fuel smart meter be fitted? Additionally, there is no landline or cable telephone/ broadband connection to the property - how would the smart meter function? Rather than being a free installation, I can foresee I would not be able to obtain a costing prior to installation and with no prior quote, just end up with a massive uncontrolled bill following installation.
Added to this the numerous negative reports on smart meters, I will stick to sending in meter readings!

Thanks for posting this @Jasper

Hopefully @Nathano can advise about your gas meter, as they have the same set up....

In short, your old meters are taken out and replaced by the smart meters. So there needs to be enough space for them. Also, mobile signal is needed for the meters to communicate. Does anyone have mobile signal there? If it's just a specific network that's weak, that's fine. The smart meter will use the strongest signal available.

More info on how to get a smart meter here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-do-i-order-a-smart-meter.html.

Tim
Might be a free BT signal available, but cannot guarantee.
Assume if engineers came to fit meters and due to space / signal problems unable to fit or operate correctly, I would still be charged?
Not convinced smart meter is worth pursuing and will continue to provide regular readings.
I have a semi concealed gas meter outside my house and an electrical smart meter inside, these were fitted when we were with british gas, recently we had engineers come to fit OVO smart meters to replace the british gas ones, but they weren't able to do so because OVO don't have smart meters that fit in the semi concealed boxes, although other suppliers do.

When will OVO have meters that do fit in semi concealed boxes?
David, cannot answer your question regarding the OVO meters, but did you get charged for the engineers aborted visit? Not found an OVO answer to this question.
Jasper
Hi I have a partly buried gas meter and have a smart meter installation booked.
Is it possible to have one installed? as after reading other posts there seems to be issues with this type of installation.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
You won't be charged @Jasper unless the reason for the failed appointment was because of something we've already ruled out with you.

As for a smart meter in a semi concealed meter box, your best bet is to wait until the SMETS 2 meters get rolled out on a larger scale later in 2018. No promises but these are a different design to the ones that don't fit!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi I have a partly buried gas meter and have a smart meter installation booked.
Is it possible to have one installed? as after reading other posts there seems to be issues with this type of installation.

Hi @BriBarty

Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on this semi concealed meter. If you wanted to confirm what the deal is for your set up, it's best to give our Customer Service team a call so they can run through the requirements and help come to a conclusion on this one for you.

Thanks,
Darran
I received the OVO invitation. I went through the application procedure, which ended by having a response “you can’t have a Smart meter”, but with no explanation as to why not. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to resolve it?
Hey @tinfoiltom

I've moved your post over to an existing topic which best answers your query.

Cheers,
Emily
It appears there is a lot of inconsistency here as I've just had a smart gas meter fitted in a semi concealed box with no comment but I can't easily read it because the display is too low down and not slanted as the old meter was. I've been told by OVO if I want to be able to read the meter without crawling about on the ground or using a camera I can buy myself a Chameleon HID (but didn't say where or the cost). How naff is that?
I suppose at least I've got a smart meter and can monitor the usage even if I can't easily get an actual meter reading.
The only other thing is the pipes foul on the box lid which seems dodgy but OVO CS didn't comment on this when I asked.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Tony99- If you had opted in to receive an IHD when your smart meter was fitted, then the engineer should have provided this during the smart meter installation.

If one wasn’t provided, we can request this for you. All you’ll need to do is get in touch with the Social team on Facebook or Twitter and they’ll be happy to get one sent.

Lucy
Hi Lucy I did receive an IHD but this doesn't let you see the actual meter reading just the usage. Although this would seem a basic it's not, so if I want to be able to get a meter reading without crawling about on the floor I have to buy another IHD. Rather disappointing.
Tony
Hey @Tony99

You can view your monthly smart meter readings via your My OVO online account or smartphone app. I've attached a handy link with more information on this: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/my-ovo/what-does-the-ovo-app-do-for-customers-who-pay-monthly.html.

Thanks,
Emily
You won't be charged @Jasper unless the reason for the failed appointment was because of something we've already ruled out with you.

As for a smart meter in a semi concealed meter box, your best bet is to wait until the SMETS 2 meters get rolled out on a larger scale later in 2018. No promises but these are a different design to the ones that don't fit!

Tim

Hi Tim,

I had a smart meter appointment a few years ago and the engineer fitted me a smart electricity meter but informed me I could not have smart gas meter as mine is also semi concealed. I just wondered now that we are a few months into 2018 whether these SMETS 2 meters are now more widely available?

Thank you

Jenny
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
SMETS2 haven't been rolled out yet @Jenni_Treehouse but keep your eyes peeled as we'll make sure it's announced when they are!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Moderators,

So can you tell just by looking at this semi-concealed gas-meter box whether there's room enough for the Smart Meter to be fitted?

How important is it that the lid can close right down?

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Nice kangaroo @Transparent - I'll send you a PM now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Kangaroo?

Bah! He claimed to be a rat.
Said he was out of work since being an Extra in the latest series of Poldark.

I was about to evict him anyway. Look what he's done to last month's gas bill...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorted !

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
How did I miss this?! RIP kangaroo/rat thing 😛