Solved

Can I have a smart meter with Economy 7?

• 17 April 2019
  • 8 replies

When I last spoke with MyOvo I was told a smart meter could not be fitted as we were on Economy 7 dual rate tariff. I am now being bombarded with email and phone calls from MyOvo trying to get me to have a smart meter. Has the situation changed, can I now get a smart meter and keep my Economy 7 tariff?
If not, and MyOvo do have my records, why do you keep asking me (and presumably everyone else on Economy 7) the same question over and over again?
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 18 April 2019, 13:16

Yes you can, @ted! You can arrange a smart meter exchange here: https://bit.ly/2ueMUYb.

If you've got storage heaters or underfloor heating you won't be able to book the appointment online. You'll need to call our Customer Care team on 0330 303 5063, they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

As soon as your smart meters are installed, let us know how you get on with them! 🙂
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Yes you can, @ted! You can arrange a smart meter exchange here: https://bit.ly/2ueMUYb.

If you've got storage heaters or underfloor heating you won't be able to book the appointment online. You'll need to call our Customer Care team on 0330 303 5063, they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

As soon as your smart meters are installed, let us know how you get on with them! 🙂
Keep getting messages that ovo are in the area and can fit a smart meter, I go to book it and the first question is do you have storage heaters, yes but I don’t use them.
does this mean I can’t have a new smart meter ? If not why?
I’m on eco 7
Userlevel 5
Badge

As soon as your smart meters are installed, let us know how you get on with them! :)

Welcome to the forum, @Viking_man, check out the best answer above!
I have SMETs2 Smart Meters with OVO and have Economy 7 so the answer to your question must be a resounding "Yes". Readings from my electricity meter are shown daily but gas is not, somehow OVO takes these from the smart meter network once a month and then they show up in the web portal and phone app.

I don't bother with the IHD although when I did look at it post-installation it was showing completely misleading information.

It might be better now but I don't have any need to look at it, as the sole reason I asked for Smart Meters was to avoid having to send in readings, which has now been achieved so whilst I couldn't whole-heartedly recommend them, at least I don't have the fag of reading the meters anymore.
Userlevel 6
Badge
I don't bother with the IHD although when I did look at it post-installation it was showing completely misleading information.

Hi @TheFSG

With SMETS2 meters, we experienced some issues connecting them to the In Home Display devices (IHDs). We've been rolling out a software update for this since mid summer, so it's likely that your IHD will be updated fairly soon.

Hope this helps
Hi, Im now an Ovo customer (once again) and I have signed up for an EV charging point (yet to be installed). We have an old meter. I would like to use Economy 7 so I know I need a dual rate meter to do this. Ovo have just (unconnected to the EV charging point I believe) sent an email offering a new SMETS2 smart meter. Should I go ahead and arrange this to be fitted?

Many thanks
Jon
Userlevel 2
Im not sure if the SMETS2 meters are E7 compatible yet
Userlevel 5
Hi, Im now an Ovo customer (once again) and I have signed up for an EV charging point (yet to be installed). We have an old meter. I would like to use Economy 7 so I know I need a dual rate meter to do this. Ovo have just (unconnected to the EV charging point I believe) sent an email offering a new SMETS2 smart meter. Should I go ahead and arrange this to be fitted?

Many thanks
Jon

If your meter is currently running on an Economy 7 tariff, @jgpazza, we can install a SMETS2 meter as Economy 7. But, we wouldn't be able to install the SMETS2 meter on an Economy 7 tariff just yet.