Solved

Can’t top up online, what can I do instead to top up?

• 1 October 2023
  • 17 replies

I’ve been trying to top up my Gas today however I keep getting the message to enter a valid account number despite it being correct. I’ve also tried topping up my Electricity to see if it was an issue specific to Gas but it’s also saying my number is invalid there as well.

The numbers I’m entering are correct and I’ve even copied and pasted the account numbers from my previous email receipts just in case I had been making an error when entering the numbers and it’s still saying they’re incorrect.

What is going on? I’m almost out of Gas.

icon

Best answer by KatMac 1 October 2023, 22:01

View original

17 replies

Mine doing the same, and no one available to help on a Sunday! I'm new to Ovo ..this isn't good! Website was under maintenance this morning so hoping its a glitch for now :(

I’m having the same issue with electric. Been ringing them since Thursday when new meter installed. They can’t fix it. And then to rub salt in the wounds a user on this forum blamed me for my issues.

Hope you get it sorted soon. I have to take a day of work tomorrow so I can chase ovo. I will be taking legal advice. 

Updated on 10/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi me again, I was using the portal on my devices if that's the word..via Google link to top up ...didn't work (account number not valid) but just downloaded app (same email and password) and its worked .. no idea if top up via link is working now again as gave up trying but app defo worked its added to smart meter screen. 👍 

If you’ve not already got it, you can download the OVO Energy Top-up app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, where you can top up quickly and easily at you’re own convenience. 

For more on issues with topping up, check out this handy guide: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hope you get it sorted soon. I have to take a day of work tomorrow so I can chase ovo. I will be taking legal advice. 

Legal action is rarely the best path. Takes forever when a much simpler and cheaper route exists like https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

Hi me again, I was using the portal on my devices if that's the word..via Google link to top up ...didn't work (account number not valid) but just downloaded app (same email and password) and its worked .. no idea if top up via link is working now again as gave up trying but app defo worked its added to smart meter screen ..... 👍 

Glad to hear that worked for ya! Stop by again if you still have trouble. :)

I’m new to Ovo, previously with Southern Electric before the transfer.

I’m struggling to register with the App. to enable me to buy credit for the electricity meter. It asks for a 19 digit account number, but all I have received is a letter from Ovo with an 8 digit account number. 

I have not received any top up card for the electricity.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Stephen Sargent 

Sorry to hear about this.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum, so you’ll need to get in touch with the Support Team who’ll be able to help you get this registered and get topped up.

Please contact OVO Pay As You Go, the best way to get in touch is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday. Or call 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

Check out this topic hub for more information too:

I need some help and support. I have an old pay as you go smart meter in my flat. It’s an electric meter.

I arranged an engineers visit to change the sse smart meter to an Ovo smart meter that “talks” to their systems. However the engineer did not arrive.

I am now in a position that I can not top up the meter as the Ovo card that was issued does not allow the meter to be topped up as it is an sse meter. I can not use my old card.

I am now on emergency credit with no means of topping it up. Ovo can not see the meter at all on their system.

Can someone help at all by advising how I might top up at all?

thank you everyone !a

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ayr23,

I’m so sorry to hear this,

This topic should help:

Topping up for the first time?

To register your new electricity key or gas card, put it into the correct meter for at least a minute. The electricity meter will show a message to let you know it's registered, and the gas meter will beep.

My key/card isn’t working – what should I do?

We recommend taking the key/card out of the meter and wiping the chip with a clean, dry cloth. If you re-insert it in the meter and it still doesn’t work, please get in touch with us and we can send you a replacement.

Is your meter showing an ‘error code’ when you insert your key/card? Was there an error code when the shop assistant popped your key or card in a PayPoint terminal? If so, note the error code down and compare it to the list of codes we’ve listed in our guide on error codes here. That’ll help us work out how to fix the issue quicker when you contact our Support team (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and 9am to 5pm on weekends).

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Got a question about your Pay As You Go energy use, top-ups, keys, cards, or anything else? Why not see if you can find the answers in our dedicated PAYG Forum category.

There are also tons of helpful resources and information available on our OVO Help pages.  

If you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.

I have been trying to top up online all day today but can't get into the app, is there a known problem please 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try https://ovoenergypayments.paypoint.com in the meantime.

Also make sure your apps and device are fully updated.

Userlevel 7

Is this resolved now @Jenfy? Have you tried deleting and re-downloading the App? 

I’ve not heard of any issues currently, but will let you know if there is a known issue. 

I have tried that on both my tablets, and cleared the cache, had lots of help via Chat, still no joy but topped up via phone/customer services. Not sure what will happen next time though. 

Userlevel 7

I’m really sorry to hear this @Jenfy, have they raised it to the tech team to investigate?

As I haven’t heard anything about a known issue, this may be something specific to your account. 

Any ideas what that could be? It was OK a couple of weeks ago, so frustrating as I can't drive right now and am going into hospital in a couple of days. Any ideas to try would be much appreciated x

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry to hear that, it sounds very stressful. At what point are you struggling to ‘get into’ the app? If there any error message displayed @Jenfy?

It won't even open, nothing at all. Thanks for helping x

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jenfy,

Is this sorted now? Does your device need any updates?