F.A.Q.

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

Show first post

264 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should flag them up anyway, regardless of whether automatic detection exists or not 

Thanks but i guess my question is do they have systems in place to deal with this

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

From what I understand, yes. There usually is detection in place to automatically flag impossibly high bills.

How does the system work in this regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Every supplier does it differently and they rarely talk about it. What I’ve said in this thread is all I know.

Userlevel 2

My billing period ends tomorrow, and is not due to be paid until next week, is the billing period all that I will be paying for next week or will it it include this week coming. Sorry I am new to this company and was just wondering 

Userlevel 2

@BPLightlog thank you yes it does explain a bit. I have been sending in data manually every week and my smart meter is being changed next week should I carry on sending the data this weekend as normal or send it nearer the time to it being changed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog thank you yes it does explain a bit. I have been sending in data manually every week and my smart meter is being changed next week should I carry on sending the data this weekend as normal or send it nearer the time to it being changed?

Manually sending readings helps prevent estimated bills so keep sending if you can. Your smart meter usually takes a while to sync properly so keep an eye on your meter readings for a while. 
If you need any help with the new meter then someone here should be able to help

Userlevel 2

@BPLightlog ....,thank you very much for your help....talking of having a new smart meter should I take an extra reading just before it gets changed? Or  .is it not necessary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog ....,thank you very much for your help....talking of having a new smart meter should I take an extra reading just before it gets changed? Or  .is it not necessary?

The meter fitter should record the old and new reading but I tend to double check myself

Userlevel 2

@BPLightlog  yes makes sense thanks a lot for your help

My smart meter asks for separate electricity and gas monthly payments to give accurate over/under spend per day/month/year for each.

I pay a fixed direct debit total amount for both and need to know which percentage is electricity and how much for gas to satisfy accurate reading on smart meter. Can anyone help with this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Unclebill , if you check your meter readings and online account you will be able to see the supplies split with costs shown. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

Thank you for your prompt suggestion but what I’m looking for is the average monthly cost for each including all the extras, which the meter bases its readings on.

My last supplier used to split the monthly payment between each just so I could enter these figures into the meter & e.g £300 per month, £100 electricity and£200 for gas (just example numbers) and the meter told me if I was under or over spent for each.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again - the average does differ quite a lot depending on your own situation. There will also presumably be higher costs for you in winter compared to summer. 
The levels on your in house display are just a guide of course but I understand how useful they might be for you. 

Ofgem estimates the typical household in Britain uses 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas in a year. 

There is more detail on their site 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/average-gas-and-electricity-use-explained

Perhaps this might also help 

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-gas-electricity-bill-uk-household 

The main reason I ask is because if I don’t put in the numbers it requires what will it base its calculations on and how am I to know if I’m over or under per month?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The main reason I ask is because if I don’t put in the numbers it requires what will it base its calculations on and how am I to know if I’m over or under per month?

Don’t know if you saw the figures above @Unclebill ? They will depend on your actual usage and tariff of course.

On the IHD, it doesn’t calculate budget for you so whatever you set will be used to give feedback. Your direct debit being ‘flat’ means that some months you will be under and some months over budget. You can see this effect on your account if you look at the online estimate for your dd  or usage graph.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=yearly&unit=pounds

Thanks again for your knowledgable input. OK I give up and will remove the figures I have entered into the meter and see what happens. I just wonder why it asks for separate electric and gas monthly payments in the first place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks again for your knowledgable input. OK I give up and will remove the figures I have entered into the meter and see what happens. I just wonder why it asks for separate electric and gas monthly payments in the first place.

If you think about it, some use gas for heating some use electric and some have a single fuel anyway. The IHD is generic and needs to support all users 

You are, of course, correct.

One more question please. I have removed the numbers in the monthly payment boxes and now it tells me what my spend per day is for both. Do these figures include VAT and the standing charges for each or just what my spend is for what I am using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You are, of course, correct.

One more question please. I have removed the numbers in the monthly payment boxes and now it tells me what my spend per day is for both. Do these figures include VAT and the standing charges for each or just what my spend is for what I am using?

They do (should) include VAT and standing charge but mine for example add these at various times of the day so my electric total shows my standing charge soon after midnight whereas my gas standing charge gets added sometime later in the day. 
It will be slightly different to your usage on your online account as those figures don’t include standing charge and VAT until the billing part

Thank you once again for you prompt and clear answers

Hi OVO energy.My account number is *Edited by Mod*.

My *Edited by Mod*.

My electricity meter reading :

Credit-0000065.4

Coast-00017.48

My gas meter reading:

Credit-000292.51

Coast-00017.24

15/05/2023

For the last few months you guys have been sending me some random bills.We dont use much electricity divices like heaters but still you guys are sending me random bills which arw very expensive.

Also the bills for the gas is a lot even though we dont use much of it.

2nd of may you guys sent a me a bill which costs £2884.92.This so to expensive.

Please send me proper bills.

I not sure if there is a problem with my meter please send someone over to check it out.Because i dont use much energy.

Please give an update soon as possible.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OVO customer service aren't on this forum. You need to contact them using one of the methods on this web page…

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Also, it's not a good idea to post personal information on a public forum. I've notified the moderators to get those details removed.

While I was paying my monthly energy charges and the balance was shown as 0, suddenly after sending a meter reading, I received a bill saying that from september 2022, I owe 640 pounds , I cannot understand !!! Plus I can see high charges on months I have been away from home. What should I do? I cannot catch anyone on phone when I am trying to call on the number provided. Thanks in advance.