Solved

New Electrical Connection to my garage

I have a new electrical connection to my garage installed by UKPN and have an MPAN ready for a meter to be installed as part of this new connection. 

OVO are my energy provider for my house so I’m starting here.

How do start this process of requesting the meter?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 19 July 2023, 17:13

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @AdamF !

OVO should be able to set this up. Try Live Chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com in the first instance. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @AdamF , I’m not sure on a brand new install but this is OVO’s general guide

I do know that there are occasions when the local DNO does the first install

Userlevel 6

Hey @AdamF 

The Support Team can help make a request to our operations team for a new install, they’ll just need to check a few things for the operations team to ensure we can do the new connection, and the team will contact you when they’ve reviewed the request.

There’s some handy details on another topic on new installations, but I’ve detailed some of the important parts below:

We’ll need to have a check that you have the supporting infrastructure in place (as we'll only be joining the meter to the connections):

• Electricity: cabling from the mains should already be on site

If the main connections are available, our Support team can request a new connection from our operations team.

You can check out the rest of this topic below if you’d like:

Feel free to update us on how you get on with the new installation journey, it’ll be helpful for others who may be doing the same to know what to expect.

Userlevel 7

Hey @AdamF,

I thought the information given in this similar topic may be helpful:

OVO Energy can now take on new connections. Some details of what to do is below:

Is a new connection needed?

If you have a supply number already (MPAN for electricity, MPAN for gas) and a meter attached, you already have a new connection and you can switch via the normal way online (when available).

Are you a domestic customer?

• Are you a domestic customer who will be living at the property
    • If no: we can only offer a new connection to domestic customers who'll be living at the property. 
    • If yes: continue to the next section below

Request a new connection

1. We’ll need to have a check that you have the supporting infrastructure in place (as we'll only be joining the meter to the connections):
    • Electricity: cabling from the mains should already be on site
    • Gas: pipework from the gas main in the street should be on site
  2. If the main connections are available, our Support team can request a new connection from our operations team.

What you should know

• We'll complete a few checks and confirm the date for an engineer visit
    • Please look out for this and contact us if the date isn't suitable
  • If we arrive and can't complete the new connection, we'll let you know why and next steps needed to resolve the issue
  • We'll install smart meters by default, and they'll be in pay monthly (credit/PAYM) setting
  • If you want a prepayment (PAYG) meter, we'll:
    • Install as pay monthly first
    • Check the meters are working correctly (so we don't leave you without supply)
    • Switch them to a PAYG tariff and account
    • Add any debt accrued in the PAYM setting, set at a repayment rate aligned with our current processes

I have been waiting a long time to get my metre fitted, last April and Ovo cancelled and still Ovo haven’t connected me, is it because of metre fitter issues, Are there none in Scotland? 

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @renwickmoira8,

Really sorry to hear this, it sounds like a very stressful situation.

We don’t have access to customer accounts on the Forum, I’d advise contacting our support team to re-book an appointment. If there’s a reason the previous appointments were cancelled they should be able to advise why.

Hope this gets sorted for you. 

Can anyone tell me how to request installation of gas and electric meters for a new build house?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If it’s a new build, you need to get in touch with your local DNO @Kathleen H .

Here's an example https://connections.nationalgrid.co.uk/new-to-connections/

but it will depend on your location

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll also need to talk to a Supplier to get the meters installed. If you would like that to be OVO, call 0330 303 5063 and ask for a new connection - the Support Team will ping a request over to OVO’s Operations Team and they’ll take it from there.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Kathleen H 

A couple of our volunteers have left some great advice on this for you already.

We also have a really helpful topic on having a new meter installed, check it out below for more on how to go about getting the meters installed:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information.  I get the impression that OVO is not interested in new customers.  They do not make information available online and their reply to my complaint did not address the issue, just made excuses about how they were so busy it took a while to reply.

I will almost certainly go with British Gas as they replied the next working day.