Tutorial

How to book a smart meter appointment on your online account or OVO app

• 28 September 2021
  • 68 replies
How to book a smart meter appointment on your online account or OVO app

Show first post

68 replies

Sorry, we encountered an error

We're having difficulty setting up your smart meter booking at the moment. Please try again later.

This is ‘later’.

This is ridiculous. Just tell us if you can’t make bookings (although your calendar implies otherwise).

Really fed up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @evenmoredisappointed ,

Sorry to hear of the trouble there. If you’re struggling to get the self-service options to work, try the Live Chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com or call 0330 303 5063. Both of these routes will also offer WhatsApp if you’d rather use that.

Userlevel 2

OVO just tell customers to apply for Smart Meters to keep Ofgem happy. They don’t seem to be very interested in actually installing them or they would employ enough staff to do the work.  You just get told there are no appointments available in you area.

Userlevel 7

Hey @DuncanL,

Sorry to hear you’ve had issues booking an appointment,

If you contact Support they’ll be able to give you more information as to why we can’t book a smart meter appointment. 

It may be due to there being no wide area network, or it may be a lack of engineers in your area. We use OVO engineers but also engineers from a third party SMS. 

Userlevel 2

It’s due to a lack of engineers, as I have been repeatedly told.  Calling Support isn’t going to resolve that.

I have applied online for a smart meter but have been told that I am not eligible. Does anyone know why this would be? Or if there is anything I can do to change this? I am a new Ovo customer 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @RHIP !

If you’ve only just signed up with OVO, it might be too soon to make that request. Could you show us your current meters please? It might help reveal more clues too.

I don’t understand why I haven’t been offered a smart meter. My energy bill is twice the national average and it is worrying me so much. How can I have this reviewed? I also have not received any hard copy bills or even anything online. My bill is paid by direct debit and is extremely high

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Cosmothecat , you should be able to see bills online https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history

and should be able to book an appointment for a smart meter there.

Wish I could stop being harassed to have a smart meter fitted. Can you please stop sending me these

I have been advised for years my meter and home layout is not compatible with them.

I will phone OVO and tell you to stop or a complaint.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wish I could stop being harassed to have a smart meter fitted. Can you please stop sending me these

I have been advised for years my meter and home layout is not compatible with them.

I will phone OVO and tell you to stop or a complaint.

Hi, 

What meter do you currently have? Can you post a picture of it?

When did a smart meter engineer last visit your home to advice you? 

About 3 years ago. Countless engineers have said there is no way I can have a smart meter for both supplies. I did not want the route where I have one supply on a smart meter and another non smart, as with my friend. I see no point in showing you a picture.

I have also had a gas engineer out to fit Hive in the last few months and he said there is no way I can have a smart meter set up, is not compatible.

I also have reservations as in my job I have met a lot of people who have smart meter faults . In one case the smart meter was faulty for 6 months, the customer (my friend) was suddenly sent a threatening letter demanding £150 or face legal action, despite the fact they had no idea the meter was not working for about 6 months they paid it in one go and were left without money for food for a few weeks  so I ended up buying her food.

British gas and SSE engineers I meet in my work say the meters are riddled with faults and not to touch them. 

It is getting irritating receiving pressure to have something I cannot have. I have taken time off work to meet engineers, who come to my home and instantly say no. A waste of time. 

Just remove my information please

My friend, also an OVO customer, had her smart energy monitor removed as it was faulty and advised by the OVO engineer not to bother with another. Supposedly a compatability issue. The problem is the technology is poor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Things have changed in the last three years…

It’s become more reliable now. This stuff moves fast and the issues of yesterday may not exist tomorrow.

Yes, but sadly I have had thr same conversation for over 5 years. They push for people to take these things up and the last minute, is no go. The only way I can see to do it is have my electric meters and supplies moved but this is far too expensive. At least I gave been able to have a new gas boiler. Sadly technology was again not there for alternatives. We are not properly set up in the UK for technological advances 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Originally I refused a smart meter until they were through the initial phase. I’ve now had one for almost 2 years and wouldn’t want the traditional meter at all. There is so much they can now do, helping to reduce overall energy use by showing me what I use and when. 
You may think “I know that anyway” but just think, when you make a cup of tea or coffee do you know what else is consuming power? Having information helps to understand how you can reduce bills and also reduce peak use which in turn helps to reduce harmful emissions. 

Thats great, but I can't have one fitted anyway as my home is not compatible. All I want is the meter itself and not any of the rest of it. I have the heating off permanently upstairs, watch TV in the dark, use sola powered lights etc indoors to save costs. I don't want the actual monitors as sadly I have seen many are faulty and inaccurate, through my own employment. What really irritates is OVO trying to shove these meters down your throat, when they know you can't have them. 

Userlevel 1

After many months of asking an agreed date of installation / replacement of existing meters was agree to. The account with OVO Energy has been in place for many years . The account is for electricity only supplied through 5 meters , on a three phase supply for various reasons of past usage. The engineer turned up on the day and the agree to time with ONE meter. He said he could change the ONE meter but the remaining 4 would still have to be read and the values phoned through (old platform restricted) to OVO. The ONE meter wasn't installed as it would not serve any useful purpose. If an OVO moderator does read this please advise what additional steps or recourse do we have to take to get ALL the meters replaced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @3Phasesupplies ,

For the forum volunteers like myself to advise, we need to see your meters first. Sounds like you have a very complicated setup and I’m afraid we don’t have X-Ray Vision.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about that, @3Phasesupplies. Yes some set up photos would be handy to advise you on next steps...

Hi I need  a appointment  for a new electricity  meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Eusebiu Marin , you will need to contact customer support. This forum isn’t a direct route to that being mainly other customers. 

Customer Support  -  tel:03303035063

Webchat  -https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Hello,

As ( hopefully) the title implies: is it possible to replace my old gas prepayment meter to a smart meter?

I've had a few issues with the new ovo prepayment gas card, so was thinking about getting a meter whereby I can top up online, as with  my electricity. 

Is there even a gas smart meter available.? Sounds silly, but I'm sure I made a similar inquiry a few years back and was told the current model at that time were beset with problems and to leave alone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I get in touch with OVO.

Regards, 

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Tomo !

Yup, this is indeed possible and the new SMETS2 meters are way more reliable than the old SMETS1 ones were. Please have a chat with Support and they can talk you through the options and get that set up for you.

You’ll want to keep your credit on the existing meter low as you approach the appointment date, but keep enough on there so you remain on supply. That way, you won’t be left massively out of pocket in the meantime.

Thank you Blastoise186, appreciate your input.

I shall give OVO a call one afternoon this week after work.

Thanks again,

Tom