Solved

How can I apply for the Warm Home Discount?

Show first post

112 replies

Like yiur comments I am in a similar position and I believe you have to claim this additional benefit
Regards

Simon Tate 

Thank you for your reply Simon.

That’s great 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Devildaniels22,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

*Copied from another thread* This post I recently wrote in response to a similar question:

How is Warm Home Discount (WHD) changing?

Key changes in numbers

• WHD spending is increasing from £350 million to £475 million across all suppliers 

• 780,000 more households will receive the rebate

• 560,000 more fuel poor households will get help 

• The Warm Home discount rebate is increasing from £140 to £150

• 59% of recipients under the new scheme will be fuel poor compared to around 47% of recipients for the current scheme

These changes will apply for the next four years. 

Changes for England and Wales

Instead of having Core Group and Broader Group, these will now be Core Group 1 and Core Group 2. You can also check the website for the latest updates.

Core Group 1 

This group will be the same customers who were eligible for the previous Core Group, customers eligible for the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit will continue to automatically receive the rebate.

Core Group 2

The Broader group in England and Wales is replaced with Core Group 2 and customers identified as eligible for a rebate no longer need to apply. Eligibility for Core Group 2 is determined using fuel poverty targeting. Rebates are provided to low income households with high energy costs.

Core Group 2 recipients are identified using

• Data from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) on property characteristics such as floor plan, property age and property type; and 

• Data from the DWP and HMRC on household benefits (households in receipt of certain means-tested benefits and income-capped Tax Credits will be deemed as low income)

Non-eligible customers

Some customers who used to be eligible, won’t be any more. This can be for the following reasons:

1. The customer is in receipt of non-means tested benefits (likely disability based) that are not considered as a low-income proxy under Core Group 2. (It‘s important to note that recipients who also receive a means-tested benefit would still be considered low income under Core Group 2)

2. Those in receipt of non-means tested benefits who receive another, means-tested benefit but who do not have high energy costs might not be eligible for the rebate. 

Please note that OVO’s Support team aren’t in a position to advise you on your benefits or warm home discount eligibility. If you’re not sure of any of the details above, Citizens Advice are well place to offer help and support.

Changes for Scotland

The process for customers living in Scotland will remain largely unchanged. People who receive certain income based benefits and who meet their energy supplier’s criteria for getting the Warm Home Discount (only customers in Scotland can apply for the “broader group”).

We’ll have more information over the coming months and we’ll be in touch with previous recipients to let them know how to proceed. Customers can also check the  website for the latest updates. 

Energy Bills Support Scheme

This page has all the information that we have on the Energy Bills Support Scheme right now. You can find the latest information on the Energy Bills Support Scheme on the government website. 

Ways to get financial support

If you’re struggling financially or you’re worried about your energy bills, we’re here to support you. Find out about the different ways we can help here.

Price rises: we're here to support you

Here’s the latest information on rising energy prices, and how we can help. 

I now qualify for warm home discount, pension credit, when c I apply as I wasn't on the list last year.

Bill

As I wasn't on the list for warm home discount last year, when can I apply for this winter

Bii

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @BikerBill ,

You’ll already be on the list if you qualify. No action will be required as the DWP will figure things out for you.

Thanks for answering.

Sounds good news 

Just wondering how DWP would know what company I'm with

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Don’t count me on this, but I think it’s either one of two methods:

• DWP notifies ALL energy suppliers as to everyone who qualifies and the each supplier filters the list down to find accounts with matching details, discarding any that don’t match
  • Energy suppliers provide the DWP with their customer lists and the DWP does the filtering to report back who matches their records as eligible

My guess is that the first scenario is more likely, but either way OVO will be notified if you’re eligible and it’ll be handled from there.

Ok thanks for that. Like everyone else I need all the help I can get now on a basic pension.😀

Badge +1

From the Age Uk website:

“How do I claim the Warm Home Discount?

In winter 2022-23, most eligible households will get Warm Home Discount automatically.

This is different from previous years, when you had to claim the money from your supplier if you weren't claiming the Guarantee Credit portion of Pension Credit.

To decide whether you get the discount, the government will look at your circumstances on a specific date, known as the 'qualifying date'. For 2022-23, this is 21 August 2022.”

Given the DWP have a really appalling record of computing pensions (their core task) I think this has disaster written all over it.

Userlevel 7

Hey @BikerBill,

Great to see our community members giving some tip-top advice here. Just wanted to step and say that you check out my response at the top of this thread.

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 1

Hi all, has there been any updates as to when the WHD is going to put into our energy accounts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @markymate ,

Not yet, but soon! OVO needs to wait for the government to make the next move before it can do anything further.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for replying, @Blastoise186. Guess we’ll have to wait a little longer👍

Userlevel 7

Hey @markymate,

We’re starting to add Warm Home Discount for some customers in the ‘core’ group.

The Department for Work and Pensions will write to all matched and unmatched customers between mid November and mid December.  If a customer receives a matched letter they will be paid automatically by OVO on the qualifying date.  If a customer receives an unmatched or request for information letter then they must follow the instructions in the letter and contact the government helpline within the timescales quoted.  

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

@Emmanuelle_OVO  That’s good to hear. Thank you for the update.

How and where do I apply for the warm discount?

thanks

Userlevel 4

I got a letter from Dwp saying. I had warm home discount and cost of living payment to be paid shortly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I got a letter from Dwp saying. I had warm home discount and cost of living payment to be paid shortly.

Great - I understand that once you’re on the system, it’s all done automatically 

Userlevel 1

Has anyone recieved the warm home discount this winter yet?

No not yet.But Don't think I had it until at least mid December last year.

Userlevel 4

Not yet letter said November/December 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Dizzy diana I believe it’s due to be paid by 20th December for those eligible. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve not had a letter! Should I have?