Solved

How can I apply for the Warm Home Discount?

Show first post

112 replies

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much for the replies, you’ve put my mind at ease!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hope it all gets sorted for you - there should be a communication of some sort whether letter, email or whatever at some point

Userlevel 1

Was I correct in reading we don’t apply for WHdiscount this year, it will automatically be applied if we are eligible?

Userlevel 1

Hope it all gets sorted for you - there should be a communication of some sort whether letter, email or whatever at some point

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Was I correct in reading we don’t apply for WHdiscount this year, it will automatically be applied if we are eligible?

Assuming you are in England, Wales or the core group in Scotland, yes. 
https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

Userlevel 1

That’s great I was worried as I’ve not had a letter yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s great I was worried as I’ve not had a letter yet

If you notice on the gov details, it say -

The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October 2022 and March 2023.

- so perhaps there’s a variety of dates when you will hear, depending on your own circumstances 

Userlevel 1

Yes I realise it goes into my energy account, thanks

I had to apply  for mine despite having received it for the previous 6 years.

Userlevel 1

I had to apply  for mine despite having received it for the previous 6 years.

Did Ovo ask you too? Or did you just do it as it won’t let anyone apply now says it’s done automatically

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re in England or Wales, it’s fully automated. In Scotland, you may need to apply.

Last Friday I received a letter from DWP telling me I had to apply and contact the phone number on the letter which I did on Monday 1st thing. Got through and took about 5 minutes to confirm  my details and for them to check that I was entitled to the credit. I xan only assume that this occurred  because  I have  recently  migrated from SSE.

Userlevel 7

Hey @geoffb29,

Are you in the core group? (Do you get guaranteed element of pension credit)

When you say apply do you mean you had to confirm details to the DWP? 

On the DWP website it says for ‘core group’ customers:

“You’ll receive a letter between November 2022 and January 2023 telling you about the discount if you’re eligible.

Most eligible households will receive an automatic discount. Your letter will say if you need to call a helpline by 28 February 2023 to confirm your details.

If you’re eligible, your electricity supplier will apply the discount to your bill by 31 March 2023.”

Think this might be what you’re referring to.

Hope this helps. 

Good evening all.

I have been awarded the Warm Home Discount for this winter 2022. My award letter advises me that I will receive help towards my energy costs. As an OVO dual fuel customer can I assume that this covers both my electricity and gas? Any thoughts much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you're OVO Pay Monthly then yup, it'll be £150 shared between both meters. Whichever one needs the credit first at any given time will get it.

Last year mine ONLY went in my electric.

Not sure about this year sorry.

Userlevel 1

What is this "Warm Winter Discount" and can anyone get it??

Userlevel 7
Badge

What is this "Warm Winter Discount" and can anyone get it??

Read about the Warm Home Discount here: The Warm Home Discount scheme: what it is and how to apply | OVO Energy

Thank you.

Interesting to note your perspective Shelly.  Do you heat and cook electric?

I have gas central heating and a gas cooker so quite keen to be clear on this matter.

Thanks also for your certainty  Blastoise 186 although I don’t really understand the mechanics of that which you describe. I am indeed a pay monthly direct debit customer and my dual fuel account always remains in credit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re on Dual Fuel with OVO, you don’t have two separate accounts with two separate balances - it’s a single account with a combined balance. :)

So the WHD will go into that and you can use it for any combination of electric and gas you desire freely.

Many thanks Blastoise 186 for your informed response. Much appreciated!

Userlevel 1

Just found out that I’m not eligible for the warm home discount anymore as I don’t have an EPC, Energy Performance certificate. This is now part of the Governments criteria for the WHD, not just what benefits you receive.   Firstly, I’d never heard of an EPC, and secondly it appears that my council landlord didn’t know either!  

Spent the last half an hour talking to a baffled council employee from the Estate management dept. She is going to find out why one hasn’t been issued.

So, if you haven’t had a letter yet, best to go on .gov and do their eligibility test, as that’s the way I found out about not having an EPC

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Government EPC checker: https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m not aware of the need for an EPC but it is mentioned regarding finding the size and age of the property https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount

Userlevel 1

When I called the WHD help line today to ask why after receiving the WHD for years I was now not eligible, he told me it was because my council property didn’t have an EPC.   

He said to call the council as I legally should have one.  Sadly the 3 different departments I was bounced through didn’t seem to have a clue. The first two had never heard of an EPC, the last one said he’d heard of it but didn’t know what dept I should be passed onto!

I’m still waiting to hear back from the council at this moment.

The EPC checker I looked at last night doesn’t have my address, or my next-door neighbours address on it.

I’m on the same benefits as I have been for a while now, but sadly it seems under the scheme I’m no longer eligible.