Solved

Why is my gas meter beeping?

5ec0c241-19dc-44b3-822a-1b67afc74ef5.jpg

Why is my meter beeping? It’s driving my dog mad and she won't come into the house.

icon

Best answer by Amandaagar 18 June 2018, 16:35

View original

10 replies

Mine has started to do the same.....either 2 beeps or a single beep every 10 minutes or so...it's breaking me
Userlevel 5
Hi @Amandaagar and @Jutd1974. That sounds really annoying. Is it the electricity meter, the gas meter or the In Home display unit that is beeping?

Updated on 20/07/23 by Abby_OVO:​​​​​

I phoned OVO today and they said it was the battery going (normally last 20 years but some don't).

As mentioned above, a beeping gas meter indicates that the battery is low and the meter will need to be replaced. As a battery failure could affect your supply, reach out to our Support team as soon as you can to confirm this is the issue and book in a free meter exchange. All gas meters have a battery installed so this is an issue which can affect smart meters and traditional meters, although as the battery is designed to outlast your meter certification date it’s rare for the battery to fail before you’d be due a meter replacement anyway.

If your smart gas meter is making a strange sound that isn’t beeping, see this topic for what it is and what to do. 

We’ve made a full guide on meter faults here

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 5
@Amandaagar Oh dear! Hopefully it will be resolved quickly and thank you for replying as we now know what the beeping means!

It's good that you noticed and reported it as other users have reported that when their battery ran out the whole meter stopped working and they had no gas! Maybe they didn't hear the beeping or ignored it??!

This just started happening to my meter - loud beeps every minute or so. Tried calling ovo but the line is closed for the day. We won’t sleep tonight if it goes on! 
(It’s the meter itself, not the smart display thing)

Is there a way to stop the beeping until the battery can be replaced? Or I don’t suppose we can replace the battery ourselves? 

This happened before within the past 3 years so it definitely doesn’t last 20! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @JoL ,

I’m afraid it might not be possible to reach anyone at this hour. Could you take some photos of the meter and I’ll see if I can figure something out.

In the meantime, I’ll see if @Tim_OVO is still around.

Userlevel 7

Sorry for the delay in seeing this topic. 

A beeping gas meter, @JoL, and within 3 years - that’s unfortunate! 

It will need replacing, and I’m not sure there’s a way to stop the beeping in the meantime. If it’s a nuisance, I would push for an emergency meter exchange appointment. However with the meter’s low battery being triggered at times when there can be month’s worth of battery life left, it might not be possible to get a same day appointment. 

Please check with our Support team and let us know the outcome, here

My meter is beeping every single minute. Everyone in our flat cannot sleep or focus on the task.

Has anyone else been in a similar jam? How did you deal with it? Is there any way to fix this by myself or tone down the noise?

I contacted OVO customer support, and they can only send an engineer over the next month. Although I have found some threads saying this is a low battery sound, the supply will cut off soon if it hasn't changed. OVO support said I needed to wait until it is cut off, and they would count this as an emergency. It's ridiculous, and I'm very disappointed with how OVO supports customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This should be prioritised. I'm afraid you can't stop it in the meantime - it's factory set that way by the meter manufacturer. 

I'll flag this for attention 

Userlevel 6

Hey @pinyaponp 

Sorry to hear about this,

Do you know if it’s the gas meter that’s making this noise?  A beeping gas meter usually indicates that the battery is low and the meter will need to be replaced. As a battery failure could affect your supply, reach out to our Support team as soon as you can to confirm this is the issue and book in a free meter exchange.

Check out these similar topics below for more: