Solved

Why do I have high overnight usage showing on the In Home Display (IHD)?

• 6 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi

Just started to review our usage on the small monitor and don't understand why the hourly usage between 1.30am and 5.30am is almost as high as when i had the washing machine and dish washer on this morning. Any idea? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 14 February 2019, 14:32

Just started to review our usage on the small monitor and don't understand why the hourly usage between 1.30am and 5.30am is almost as high as when i had the washing machine and dish washer on this morning. Any idea?

That's odd @Elainecul - it depends on the appliances you have at home. A big fridge/freezer or a very efficient washer could level it out, storage heaters on at night? Things on charge?

This page might be worth a look

Also think about adjusting targets on the IHD

This is a similar topic with good advice

@The_Happy_Pig here's a topic with a similar issue!
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Just started to review our usage on the small monitor and don't understand why the hourly usage between 1.30am and 5.30am is almost as high as when i had the washing machine and dish washer on this morning. Any idea?

That's odd @Elainecul - it depends on the appliances you have at home. A big fridge/freezer or a very efficient washer could level it out, storage heaters on at night? Things on charge?

This page might be worth a look

Also think about adjusting targets on the IHD

This is a similar topic with good advice

@The_Happy_Pig here's a topic with a similar issue!
This is something that I have noticed since getting OVO smart meters installed about 3 weeks ago.

So I go to bed and check the meter, when I wake up in the morning all if a sudden there's a big jump in what the meter said I had used when I went to bed and what the meter is telling me I used the previous day when I get up in the morning.

So, yesterday, I went to bed not long before midnight with the meter saying I had used £4.76

Today, when I check to see what my total usage was for yesterday, it tells me I used £11.85!!

Despite the fact that it says that I used 0.06 kWh more than when I went to bed. My daily standing charge for electricity is 27.4p and gas is 24.7p. electricity per kWh is 14.83p and gas is 32.13p so I can't work out where £7.09 came from.

Weirdly, it never seems to add an extra charge on a Friday.

What is this extra charge and where is it coming from? Any ideas anyone?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @The_Happy_Pig, we'd really need access to your readings/usage in order to answer this for you. Best thing to do is call the team on 0330 303 5063 and they'll be able to access this.

The smart meter is recording useage of gas at very early hours eg 4-5am when I have no appliances running and central heating boiler is turned off. I’m then being charged for this useage and my bills are just going up and up!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Dee99 and welcome to the Forum.

I assume you are looking at the display on your In Home Device (IHD) rather than the Smart Gas Meter itself.

The IHD is fed its data from the Communications Hub which sits on top of your electricity meter. That is where your tariff data is stored.

This enables the IHD to display the cost including the daily standing charge. This is added shortly after midnight, giving the impression that gas has been used. However, if you look at the “raw” gas meter reading in cubic-meters, this should show no actual gas usage during that period.

Post again here if you’d like any further clarifications.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Dee99 and @Transparent - I’ve moved your question and answer into this topic, I think it’ll be helpful for anyone looking for an answer to this one!