Sort out the issues with the OVO registration/password

Related products: OVO app

We see weekly issues raised with the OVO registration/password.

Some we are told is due to timing

Some we are told is due to email clients,although it doesn't seem to be issue for other companies sometimes. 

Can someone in OVO finally sort this  sort this out? I don't think that is too much to ask. The forum is full of examples. Here are a few to get started. 

It is not clear what is going on or what ovo is going to do about it. 

Seems to be yet another version of how to solve this problem… what’s going on ???

Seems to be yet another version of how to solve this problem… what’s going on ???

That doesn't work for me either. I can't believe how badly its run.

Thanks for this idea, I’ve seen a few different bits of advice on this. Perhaps because not all examples have the same issue at their root. 

I’ll be changing this idea to ‘Open for votes’, but you can be sure the team will be working on this as we speak. As it stands we have the following advice:

If you’re having an issue resetting your password and are using the Outlook Live app we are aware this may cause an error message, if so, please switch to a browser version. 

Password Resets

You can reset your password by clicking here.

• There's no difference between ‘First time logging in?’ and ‘Reset my password’
  • Password reset emails expire after six hours or if a newer password reset is requested within that time
  • A reset email is only sent if the email address used matches a registered email address
  • If multiple password reset emails are sent, only the most recent one is valid

The criteria for setting a password is:

• At least 8 characters

• At least 1 upper case letter

• At least 1 lower case letter

• At least 1 number

• At least 1 special character (!?£@#$%)

If you’re not able to access the password reset screen by clicking on the ‘Reset My Password’ button in the reset email, you can copy and paste the long reset link from the bottom of the email into the URL to get to the same destination. An example is shown here:

diLPOnZ-K4GrfJzLl6IlVp5TVLO6k_vX1lI5ifH_B9jwtko_xx_vWGyEOe5b2pp6o8-r45tf39DwPk01xR3lFtZUE59aY46VTZ1RlgsLsZrqrcTwswwYwZzDrckiPqSc1VcxC3kV

Haven’t received a password reset email?

There are no known issues with the password reset platform and reset emails are typically delivered within seconds.

If you haven’t received the email then it’s usually caused by the following:

Your email inbox hasn’t refreshed

The email may have been delivered but hasn’t synced on the member's device/browser. This could be due to a network issue or because their email client is set to refresh on a schedule, e.g. every 15 minutes. Try refreshing this manually.

The email has been filtered as junk/spam

You should also check that you haven’t accidentally marked us as ‘Spam’ or blacklisted emails from hello@ovoenergy.com or noreply@ovoenergy.com.

The email address you’ve got registered has recently been changed on our systems and hasn’t had time to update on your online account

If you've changed your registered email address it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for this to update. In this case, try and request a password rest email the following day.

If none of the above is successful

Check you’re using the most recent version of the app (try deleting and re-downloading for Android and iOS) or Google Chrome browser if logging in to your online account.

Try disabling any password managers that may be interfering with the login details you’re entering.

You should also try:

• Logging in via the app if you can’t login via a browser (or vice-versa).

• Using a different device or browser (Chrome is recommended).

• Clear cache/cookies on browser.

• Clear cache and app data then uninstall/reinstall the app.

• Waiting a day for any changes you've made to update across all systems

If you've followed all of these steps and you're confident there's still a login issue with your online account or the OVO App then contact the Support Team. If you can provide as much of the the following information as possible we’ll then be able to forward this on to our Tech team if required:

• Mention all actions you have taken already.

• The correct email address that you’d would like to use.

• Are you trying to login using the app or browser?

• What device, OS and browser are you using?

• Are there any specific error messages? This does not include 'Wrong Email or Password'.

• How long has this been occurring?

• Relevant screenshots are always welcome and useful.

Hope this helps get things sorted - There’s more great advice on our Online Account Tutorial Collection:punch:

NewOpen for votes

NewOpen for votes

Thanks for following up

If you’re having an issue resetting your password and are using the Outlook Live app we are aware this may cause an error message, if so, please switch to a browser version. 

GMail does the same irrespective of the browser and platform 

Just to point out that there is no such animal as “the Outlook Live app”. Microsoft provide a bewildering array of offerings for managing email, many of them called Outlook, but the ‘Live’ designation used with some of them was dropped ten years ago. The possibilities are:

• Outlook, a program in the Microsoft 365 suite (formerly known as Office) which is also available as a standalone application;
  • Outlook for Android and iOS, apps available from the respective app stores;
  • Outlook PWA, a Progressive Web App available with some Chromium-based browsers - notably Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge;
  • Outlook.com, a webmail application whose Sunday URL is outlook.live.com;
  • Windows Mail, the mail client built-in to Windows 10 and 11 and some earlier versions;
  • Windows Live Mail, a long-deprecated standalone mail client originally made available on Windows 7 but last updated in 2012;
  • [just for the sake of completeness] Outlook Express, the built-in mail client on Windows XP which may still have some diehard adherents. 

Not an Outlook Live to be seen, so perhaps whoever wrote that text should find out which of these possibilities are known to cause errors when resetting passwords and amend the language accordingly. 

[Another point: the URL in your screenshot has something approaching 1300 characters. For users with a Microsoft 365 subscription, Outlook mail clients have an extra anti-phishing feature - enabled by default - which protects them against malicious URLs from untrusted senders. This feature adds a lot of characters to the URL, which might well cause some browsers to choke on it. I haven’t tested this, but the techs might consider doing so.]

Hi @Tim_OVO

I have been thinking about this. 

Although it is a detailed write up, i actually haven't seen any visible improvement on the forum.

Sorry, but that is the reality i see. It is not getting any better.

Have the team been given any target for improving the situation, say 3 months? 

I’ve passed this on and asked these questions, @Jeffus @Firedog :)

Another example 

Fwiw the bug with Outlook is a trivial one to fix, just looking at the source code of the email, tue code to render the button is different for Outlook, and there is one space missing at the end of the URL in the mail OVO sends. This is really a one man job, 5 minute fix on OVO’s end, but somehow I still see people complaining about that for more than a year. So not sure what tech team we are talking about here.

--

As for the other issue, I of course tried all of the above and contacted OVO numerous times, but they just tend to say they’ll get back to me, then 2 days close my ticket lol.

To support my claim on the Outlook issue:

I have to say, this doesn't really give me any confidence on OVO’s ability to fix the actual issue I am having.

For the other issue, this is what the API endpoint responds after I attempt to set a password:

URL: https://my.ovoenergy.com/api/identity/perform-password-reset

{
  "code" : "InvalidActionToken",
  "message" : "Invalid password reset token"
}

Another poster used this method

Just to say I forwarded the email from my usual email account which uses a local version of Outlook to my Gmail account and set the password from there successfully!

I’m told there is a fix for some online account registration / password reset scenarios. We’re working on the wording of this and we’ll be updating all relevant topics when we do. Including this idea. 

I’m told there is a fix for some online account registration / password reset scenarios. We’re working on the wording of this and we’ll be updating all relevant topics when we do. Including this idea. 

Thanks for the update @Tim_OVO