Tutorial

Using an air source heat pump (ASHP) to reduce your carbon footprint - guide

Using an air source heat pump (ASHP) to reduce your carbon footprint - guide

Show first post

57 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

An interesting plug for My Home Farm, @mrmhf ! :sunglasses:

So long as it’s for a non-commercial venture, I guess the Moderators will let it pass.

I’m unsurprised that you’ve effectively moved to a mixed-fuel system… especially in the old farmhouse you’re living in. What we still lack is a hybrid Heat pump where the secondary fuel doesn’t add CO2 to the atmosphere.

Two quick observations:

1: 8°C is quite a high temperature, below which you deem your ASHP too inefficient.

2: Whyever use an ASHP when you have sufficient land (and water) in which to lay Ground Source Heat Pump collector-coils? You’d achieve 25-30% greater heat output for the same amount of mains-power fed in.

I’ve based our 8C on efficiency and price of electricity. We lose significant efficiency at 3C (especially when it’s humid and leads to loads of defrost cycles), but gave ourselves the 5C “buffer” (to 8C) to compensate for electricity at 22p/kWh.

Userlevel 7

I think you should all consider coming along next Tuesday - who’s free at 5pm on the 2nd? 

You can hear from 3 heat pump guest speakers, sharing their experience and learnings and answering questions:

@Transparent  @sylm_2000 @nealmurphy @Roy_and_Becky @knight - it would be great to see you there!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I was speaking to  swede the other day and I asked about Heatpumps there, they have them and said they work fine, regularly in minus temps.

Having looks at data from there Gov it seems they install about 40%+ Heatpumps on new builds and it can get to -20.  Also the key factor is insulation, by law any new home in Sweden heated with gas must use no more then 90kwh/m2 per year, but crucially if heated with a Heatpump they must use no more than 50kwh/m2, this would be equivalent to A+ EPC rating.  I think that is also why the Wales trial results and engineers were saying UK homes needed to be ‘A’ or ‘B’ rated. It is not just efficiency, in really cold weather only the ‘A’ rated homes will have a decent COP above 1, otherwise you might as well breakout the old blower heaters and turn the HP off, as least then you avoid ¼ of the time spending 1kw on defrosting cycles!

When it comes to HP in cold cond  you want the lightest heat demand poss, insulation is the best way to get that rather than turning down the thermostat and just being cold 🥶

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

FYI The average UK housing stock is around 250kw/m2 per year which is using 5x more energy to heat than a Swedish Heatpump home, you'd need a Heatpump with a COP of 5 just to match that kind of heat loss, which would go out the window as soon at the sniff of any cold weather.

So if you insulate massively then Heatpumps are really viable and save you money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@OrphM62 A heat pump does not know what type of property it's linked to. It's simple job is to extract warm air from the atmosphere for use by the heating system. It doesn't care about the insulation or whether you've got windows open. The COP depends on external temperature, flow rates and quality of install. 

A poorly insulated property will require more energy to be used to generate more heat for longer but it won't significantly affect the COP.

I have an EPC D rated property. Even in minus temperatures the COP is above 3. It does require more energy to be used than if it was better insulated, but it still works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I suppose the point is to reduce the amount of energy the house needs, so insulation is key. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

My point wasn't about COP but more that Swedish Heatpump homes require 5x less heat than average UK housing. You are right that the COP of heatpumps insn't determined by the housing parameters, but if in cold weather the COP of the HP is dropping to 2 or below, the house that requires 5x less heat to stay warm will require the HP to work less hard, so less energy used, less wasted on Defrost cycles etc.