Skip to main content

Updated on 14/06/24 by Shads_OVO

Update on RTS shutdown:

As part of the RTS Project development, we are really happy to share with you our progress:

As you may be aware, the RTS signal that instructs some of our meters when to move to the “Off Peak Period”  will be closing down soon and we need to arrange for all of our RTS customers to have a meter exchange so they don’t lose any of their meter functionality.

The RTS signal will end for our customers on 30 June 2025. The period between 1 July - 30 September 2025 will then be used to close-down the RTS signal and allow us to manage any unexpected customers impacted.

After a very successful pilot, from the 17th June 2024 we will begin writing to our Economy 10 RTS customers to invite them to call us to arrange for their meter exchange. 

We are continuing to work at pace to enable the same solution for the majority of our other RTS customers and our aim is to begin writing to these customers in Aug 2024. 

We will continue to update you on our progress.

Multi-rate meters are also sometimes known as ‘complex’ or ‘exotic’ meters

These older types of meter are being phased out and support for them will be ending soon. If you have one of these meters, and think you’ll be affected, don’t worry- we’ll be in touch to arrange an upgrade to make sure your heating and hot water keeps working properly.

So, what is an ‘exotic meter type’ and why is support for some of these meters ending? Let’s find out more...

We’re saying goodbye to Radio Teleswitch Meters (RTS Meter) and Dynamically Teleswitched Meters (DTS Meter).

Support is ending for old electric meters that use Radio Teleswitches. The Radio Teleswitch System (or RTS) was created to help with electricity meters that had special tariffs (such as Economy 7) before smart meters came along. 

Even though it has a few features that are seen in today’s smart meters, such as automatically turning heating or hot water on or off, it isn’t quite as smart. It can’t send us your meter readings remotely to make sure your bills are correct.

RTS Meters (sometimes known as Dynamically Teleswitched Meters), are old meter types. A Radio Teleswitch device would also be installed, alongside the electricity meter, to pick up the RTS signals and control the time switching features on the meter.

The shutdown of the RTS service would mean that the teleswitching features, to allow electricity meters to be switched between tariff rates and to allow the switching of electrical loads such as heaters, would completely stop working. 

Older meter types aren’t being installed by suppliers anymore, and many of these meters are reaching their end (certifications). 

Here are some of the RTS/DTS tariffs:

• Economy 7*
  • Economy 10*
  • Total Heat Total Control
  • Weathercall
  • HeatWise
  • WarmWise
  • Storage Heat Control
  • White Meter
  • Superdeal
  • Flexiheat
  • Comfort Plus
  • Comfort Plus Control
  • Twin Heat

*Economy 7 or 10 meters with controlled load. Controlled load is a special type of electricity rate, or tariff, for high-energy appliances. It's ideal for things that use a lot of energy, like underfloor heating or hot water systems.*

Want to find out more about this topic? Why not check out this helpful FAQ:

Don’t forget- If you have a meter that’s affected, we’ll be in touch to arrange a meter and tariff upgrade to keep your heating and hot water working.

Exotic Tariffs 

Storage heating control (SHC)

With Storage Heating Control you usually have two separate meters. One meter records energy used during the off-peak periods, and the other records all other electricity used.

Customers save the most if they have storage heating and hot water. These heat up during the off-peak times, on the cheaper rate, to last throughout the day. 

The standard meter records all the domestic usage (cooking, lights, electronic devices) in a home. There are no off-peak times for any domestic use, and these appliances can be used at any time. 

What about heating and hot water?

SHC was designed to work with storage heaters. To benefit from the off-peak price, the storage heating and hot water would need to be connected to the off-peak meter. If you have this type of meter and are unsure if yours is connected, an electrician can check this for you.

Out of off-peak times, any appliances connected to the off-peak meter won’t operate, so SHC isn’t suitable for direct acting heating, such as a towel rail or underfloor heating. 

As long as the storage heaters are connected to the off-peak meter, they’ll come on automatically during off-peak periods. 

SHC offers 8 hours per day for customers to charge their storage heaters and heat their hot water. At least 3 of these hours will be available from between 10pm and 10am. There’s also a minimum of 2 hours between 10am and 10pm.

The times do vary which means we can’t give a customer the exact times their off-peak will operate. But, as long as the heating and hot water is connected to the off-peak meter, they should automatically come on when the cheaper rate is available. 

SHC doesn’t offer a cheaper rate for domestic appliances, which means regardless of the time these appliances are being used, they’ll always be charged at the standard rate. 

Dimplex Quantum storage heaters work in the same way as standard night storage heaters, by charging up during off-peak times at a cheaper rate. Quantum heaters have thermostats and a digital programmer, which means that operating them is much more ‘hands-free’.

You can choose the times of the day when the heat can be released, and you can also choose the temperature. The heater automatically works out how much to charge overnight. A fan helps to draw air through the heater and warm up the room when the thermostat senses that the temperature has dropped.

Quantum heaters are better insulated than older models, meaning that less heat escapes when it isn’t needed. This is better for both your wallet and the planet. 

Input/Output Dial Storage Heaters work by storing heat made by cheap off-peak electricity and releasing it during the day.

An input setting allows customers to control the amount of heat that the heater stores during off-peak hours. The higher the setting the more heat is stored, but this also means running costs will be higher.

An output setting allows a customer to control the amount of heat that the storage heater releases. The higher the setting, the quicker the heat is released into the room. The recommendation is to keep the output setting low when heat isn’t needed (like in the night or when the home is empty).

Total Heating Total Control (THTC)

How many meters? 

THTC is usually a two meter set up. Although pay as you go THTC meters normally only have one meter.

What does it do? 

With THTC you normally have two meters with one rate on each. One meter records all of the domestic usage at the property (lights, sockets etc) and the other records the usage from the heating and hot water in the home. 

On the heating control meter there is the stored circuit which gives a customer between 5 & 12 hours daily based on the weather forecast to store heat, and around 5 hours 45 minutes to heat water daily. Because the off peak times are determined in part by the weather forecast we are unable to tell a consumer exactly when the peak/off peak hours are. 

There is also the 24 hour off peak circuit, this is for any additional heating and hot water in the home, panel heaters, focal point fires, electric towel rails, electric showers, and to boost hot water. 

THTC was designed to work with storage heaters, and they should charge automatically during the off peak hours, along with the hot water. As long as any additional heating appliances are connected to the 24 hour circuit, they will be charged at the lower rate regardless of what time they are being used. This is not something we are able to check for a customer, they would need a private electrician to tell them what is wired where. 

To find out more about THTC and SHC please check out our helpful guide on the website.

Superdeal

Superdeal is usually a one meter set up. It is only available in the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) 20 area. 

Unsure what your MPAN number is or who your Distribution Network Operator is? Check out our handy Tutorial below:

What does it do? 

With Superdeal you get one meter which has three rates of electricity; Day rate, Night rate,  and Off-peak rate. The Day rate records energy used between 7am and midnight, the night records domestic (lights, electrical appliances, sockets) energy between midnight and 7am, the stored records for 5 hours overnight and has a 2 hour afternoon boost. 

Superdeal provides 7 hours of off peak electricity over 2 periods  for heating and hot water appliances. It provides a 7 hour off peak period overnight for all domestic appliances. 

Superdeal was designed to work with storage heating, a customer receives 5 hours of charge over night for their storage heaters and hot water, and an additional 2 hours afternoon boost. During these 7 hours, the heating and hot water should automatically come on.

This meter is handy for customers who need to top up their heat during the day so they have enough for the evening, if they have older heaters or if they are at home and use their stored heat frequently throughout the day. 

Flexiheat

• Flexiheat is designed to work with electric storage heating
  • The tariff offers 7 hours of cheaper, off-peak electricity for stored heat 
  • Energy used outside of the off-peak times costs more at the standard rate, so if you have this set up we’d encourage you to use more during the cheaper times
  • Usually not suitable for homes with Gas or Oil heating 

How does it work?

With Flexiheat you get one meter which has three rates. One rate records all the electricity you use during the day, another records all of the electricity you use during the evening and weekend period, and the third measures all the electricity you use during the 7 hours of stored heat. 

Flexiheat works by storing up heat and hot water using the lowest possible rate of electricity.

All the electricity you use during the off-peak times is charged at the cheaper rate, not just your heating and hot water.

When are the cheaper off-peak times?

A consumer is supplied with 7 hours at the cheapest rate for stored heat. At least two of those hours will be during the day - which tops up heating and hot water.

They would also benefit from cheaper electricity for all domestic appliances used on weekdays between 7:30pm to 7.30am, and weekends from Friday 7.30pm to Monday 7.30am. In addition to this, Flexiheat customers benefit from cheaper electricity for all domestic appliances used between 24 December and 1st January.

There is more information about Flexiheat and Superdeal here.

Heatwise 

Heatwise is designed to work with electric storage heating. It can be a 1 or 2 meter setup which is only found in MPAN 11. The meter(s) generally have a combined 3 or 4 rates and provide 10 hours of off peak electricity for hard wired heating and water appliances. It’s usually not suitable for homes with Gas or Oil heating

How does it work?

All the electricity used during the off-peak times is charged at the cheaper rate, not just heating and hot water. 

When are the cheaper off-peak times?

Afternoons Monday to Friday – 3 hours between 1pm and 4.30pm

Afternoons Saturday and Sunday – 3 hours between 1pm and 5.30pm

Evenings Monday to Sunday – 2 hours between 5.30pm and 10pm

Night’s Monday to Friday – 5 hours between midnight and 7am

Night’s Saturday and Sunday – 5 hours between midnight and 8am

Economy 10

Economy 10 provides 10 hours of off-peak electricity for everything in the home and can be suitable for a number of electric heating systems, including wet electric central heating and storage heaters. Storage heaters will automatically store at the off-peak times on the lower rate.

Electric immersion water heaters will also usually heat automatically during the off-peak hours and you may want to install an external timer to regulate when and for how long the water heats.  The off-peak hours offered with an Economy 10 plan add up to 10 hours during each 24-hour period – which is why this plan is known as Economy 10. 

(MPAN) 10,11,12, 14,15,16,19,20, 21, 22, 23

(Traditional, Pay as you go & Smart)

12.00am - 5.00am 1.00pm - 4.00pm 8.00pm - 10.00pm (GMT)

1.00am - 6.00am 2.00pm - 5.00pm 9.00pm - 11.00pm (BST)

18 & 13

(Traditional)

4:30am - 7:30am 1:00pm - 4:00pm 8:30pm - 12:30am

(Paygo & Smart)

4:30am - 7:30am 1:00pm - 4:00pm 8:30pm - 12:30am (GMT)

5:30am - 8:30am 2:00pm - 5:00pm 9:30pm - 01:30am (BST)

(Traditional)

4:30am - 7:30am 1:30pm - 4:30pm 8:30pm - 12:30am

(Pay as you go and Smart)

4:30am - 7:30am 1:30pm - 4:30pm 8:30pm - 12:30am (GMT)

5:30am - 8:30am 2:30pm - 5:30pm 9:30pm - 01:30am (BST)

You may not want that experience for your customers but OVO will not communicate with me or reply to several emails. They even still list Raman Bhatia as the CEO! He departed weeks ago & the new one, David Buttress has no obvious email address to contact like his predecessor! The Ombudsman is looming.

We have already raised the name change to the right team - just yesterday in fact. It’s being worked on.

In the meantime, my understanding is the Raman Complaints inbox at Raman-complaints@ovoenergy.com still works as-is.

Well they do not reply to emails!

Hi @johndebs,

I’m really sorry to hear this. 

This is currently with our Forum_Support team who’ll be looking into this for you.

Asking for a friend, yes really. He is on Superdeal. Has 3 meter readings. Peak and off peak meter and a MPAN. Heating Energy Use meter has a MPAN. 2 people in a 2 bed house out all day. No storage heaters EVER turned on just 2 electric heaters when they need them. No hot water turned on EVER. they put dishwasher on a couple times a week. A power shower as and when. Summer bills Peak £250 + Off Peak £43 , Heating Energy use £73. Firstly can someone explain the off peak and heating energy use? I thought off peak is for instance storage heaters and water. NONE of which he uses. So what is the stored heat use? His yearly bills are hitting £6000+ we are are 4 people in 3 bed two doors down with OVO on economy 7 and use a quarter of that. Anyone have any thoughts what’s using all the flipping energy?

Hi @Tricko ,

We’d probably need to see photos of the entire setup to be able to offer much advice on this one. If you can provide that, it’d help a ton. Details on the tariff itself can be found at https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/electric-heating/three-rate-tariffs . It does a better job than I could of explaining this particular tariff. Long story short, stored heat would be referring to storage heaters and immersion heaters.

With that being said… Superdeal probably isn’t the right tariff for your friend anymore. Given that his Superdeal Meters are no longer supported anyway, it’s probably about the right time to arrange a migration to Smart Meters. This would allow him to shift to a tariff that’s almost certainly better value and I’m willing to bet will probably be much, much cheaper.

If he’s up for it, give OVO a call on 0330 303 5063 (Squad 70 is best suited for this particular request) or use Live Chat to request migration to Smart Meters. The team can discuss his options and figure out the best path forward. OVO won’t proceed without his explicit consent so he’d be welcome to just talk about it initially and have the notes saved on the account to come back to make a decision later if that’s what he’d rather do.

Please don’t wait too long though! As the deadline of June 2025 looms, we think there’ll be a massive rush to get the upgrades done.

Firstly can someone explain the off peak and heating energy use? I thought off peak is for instance storage heaters and water. NONE of which he uses. So what is the stored heat use?

The stored heat is for storage heaters and immersion heaters, usually on an entirely separate circuit.  It only turns that circuit on at cheap times and it’s billed at different rates and usually on a different “meter number” (MPAN) to ordinary usage.  It USED to be far cheaper than off-peak, nowadays it can actually be more expensive and it’s largely pointless unless you’re at home 24/7 (e.g. housebound, etc.).

Peak and off-peak circuits are always switched on, their pricing just changes during the day.  Heating circuits are NOT (unless you manually press a boost button or similar).

His yearly bills are hitting £6000+ we are are 4 people in 3 bed two doors down with OVO on economy 7 and use a quarter of that. Anyone have any thoughts what’s using all the flipping energy?

That’s a ridiculous amount of energy and I would guess he has a water immersion heater and/or storage heating that’s always “switched on” but that the heating meter controls, and he doesn’t realise it.  So he’s boiling up the water heater every time the heating tariff turns on, whether he needs it or not.

I moved into a house with the same, and I had all the heating ripped out and just replaced it with convector heaters.  My normal rate is actually cheaper than my storage heating rate, and I only care about heating when I come home from work, not throughout the day when I’m not at home.

I’m also changing the immersion heater for an instant hot-water heater because I really don’t need to be heating hot water throughout the night, having one quick shower, and then letting it get cold throughout the rest of the day until I get home when I have to heat it up again.

Usually the heating circuit will have a separate fusebox (consumer unit) for it.  You can switch it off and see what circuits goes off and whether that reduces his bill.  I imagine he’s got the water/heating devices themselves “turned on” but doesn’t know that because they are only actually powered late into the night.

Hello,

I currently live in the north of Scotland and rent a house which is currently on the THTC. tariff. Ahead of the planned radio tele switch shut down next June, I have been contacted by Ovo to book a smart meter fitting to replace the current meters.

I believe that I will need to move to an economy 10 tariff with the smart meter installation, this being the closest tariff to the THTC heating charge-up schedule.

I would be very grateful if anyone who has any experience of economy 10 and storage heating could share their views on the following questions.

1. I think I may need to install an immersion heater timer, as I don't believe we will want 10 hours of water heating for our needs (I do not believe THTC tariff heats the water for as much as10 hours). Am I thinking right here please?
  2. Secondly, we have the very earliest Dimplex storage heaters in our property. They tend to give out most of their heat simultaneously with charging up i.e. they aren’t great at storage of heat. I am concerned that they may not be best suited to the rigid economy 10 charge up times, mainly because the gap between the end of the early morning charge up (4.30 a.m to 7.30 a.m.) and the start of the early pm charge up (1.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.) is six hours. Last winter our THTC tariff boosted the heaters until about 10 a.m. in the morning on very cold days, and it really helped.

I wonder perhaps that having more up- to- date storage heaters such as ‘quantum’ heaters may be advisable with economy 10? 

Any experience with old storage heaters, water heating and economy ten would be most welcome and thank you if you can share this.

Hi @ElectricLadyland ,

I can call on @BPLightlog @Nukecad and @Firedog for part of this - they’re more experienced than me at the number crunching!

But Economy 10 does split things up so you get a couple of top-up boosts during the day - it’s not a single 10 hour continuous charge overnight! :)

Bear with us, more replies are on the way!

Hi

I am currently going though the process from THTC  to E10/smart metre being installed 7th Oct.  I also have a few old storage heaters.

I believe the change will only involve a metre change. The timings given by OVO are I understand a guide and should in theory remain as they are as OVO has no control over the E10 timings, they are controlled by the grid/power producers. I too in some of the colder days notice my HTHC timings on occasions to operate outside of the published HTHC timings in very cold weather. As you will notice in the past normally weather timings of THTC switched on/off near the published time but not always on the dot, give or take 30 mins. 

The side benefit from the change is that when the E10 is on, the whole property benefits, all sockets, at the moment only the heating and hot water comes live using HTHC. So plan heavy use appliance use around E10, washing machine etc to save a little.

I have added wifi spurs/timers to my Storage heater and water heater, so turn on off during THTC/E10 as needed and are not always on during THTC/E10. . I changed some of the old storage heaters to WiFi controlled heaters. This allows me to warm up rooms using only when needed with the THTC/E10. As you say the old storage heaters do not store any heat for a long time. If I could afford it I would change the whole system to a wet radiators/heat pump, but  the whole house needs piping for radiators and the amount of work to install then redecorate the whole house is way outside my budget, even after the Heat pump grant, as I qualify for no other benefits.

In short apart from changing the metre, not much else should change in timings, with benifit of E10 use to all sockets.

I don’t think I can add much, I’m afraid. There are just so many variables, like

• the number, size and type of the night storage heaters (NSH). If they’re set to charge for three hours before 07:30 and again 13:30 - 16:30, that might work.
    Mine are rated at 3kW, and they take 3 hours to get hot. Sadly, though, they’ve run out of steam by mid-afternoon (I’m on Economy 7, so no daytime offpeak slots). I’m sure a 13:30-16:30 boost would help a lot. 
  • The size of the hot water tank and how much hot water you need each day. Many of them have two elements, one at the bottom and the other near the top. The bottom one would be live at offpeak times, the other always live, so it could be switched on for a peak-rate boost if someone uses all the hot water before you’ve managed to wash up. In any case, it would be a good idea to fit a timer switch to manage it. 
    My own tank is at 210 litres far too big for little me; if I leave it to heat up during the night, it takes about 2½ hours and uses 7.5kWh at cheap rate. It provides enough hot water for two or three days, although it wouldn’t stretch to a third (hot) bath. 
  • The late evening offpeak slot would allow you to use extra direct heating (panel heaters, convectors) to maximize comfort before bedtime. 

If you’re currently on OVO’s THTC tariff, you should find that your heating would be only marginally more expensive. Your other usage, though, would be at a lot lower rate on E10 than on THTC. If you have a friendly neighbourhood electrician, he may be able to advise, and quote you for fitting a £20-30 immersion heater time switch.

Any more questions, please ask!

Hello, many many thanks to all of you for your very thoughtful comments, I appreciate you taking the time to write these replies.I think I will aim to get a water tank timer fitted and persevere with my landlord to try to upgrade the old storage heaters.

Once again, many thanks to you all!

Hey @ElectricLadyland,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

I’ll ask internally & see if I can add anything to what Firedog has already said.

We have a helpful forum topic you may find interesting:

Our expert was very happy with your response @Firedog🙂

They just wanted me to add clarity that the Economy 10 times are rigid and not controlled by the grid @ElectricLadyland 

I had OVO on a radio teleswitch meter / tariff.  They came out the other week to change to a smart meter and Economy 10.

It has a set series of hours spread over the day (they differ in Scotland, I believe), and those hours are ALWAYS by GMT (so in the summer they are staggered by an hour).  There are 3 periods for mine, for example. 

The heating circuits will turn on in those hours.

The smart meter given will give you an hour’s warning when the tariff is going to go up or down and a little countdown to it (it doesn’t announce this, it’s just on the screen if you’re on the right “page” on the device).  This is I suppose the idea behind smart meters, that you think “Oh, the price is going to go up in an hour… I’ll put dinner on now” or similar.

I now have only two chargeable rates (peak and off-peak), and the water / storage heating only turns on when the Economy 10 times are active (and are charged the same as other off-peak usage).

It seems a LITTLE more sensible, but I still believe that storage heaters and stored water heating is a bad idea in the modern age unless you’re trapped at home and absolutely on the lowest budget necessary (and prepared to survive a little cold, especially in Scotland!).

I replaced my storage heating entirely (so I basically just have peak/off-peak and convector heaters given that I have no gas supply), and I will be replacing my stored hot water when I can (probably not this winter by the look of it).

From what I can tell, Economy 10 and a SMETSv2 smart mater is far easier to transfer to other providers, too.

Hi Emmanuelle-OVO

Your post that E10 timings are rigid, can you please post times for *edited by mod* postcode and are these times guaranteed by OVO and soley controlled by the smart meter ?

Hi @Kirrimove ,

Please don’t post your address/postcode here - this Forum is public and you just leaked your location to the world.

The best place to get the exact timings from is via OVO Support at https://ovoenergy.com/help - they can look it up for you.

But I can confirm that with Smart Meters, the meter itself controls the times locally once it has been configured, after which it will continue to run them on a static basis even if Comms drops out for any reason.

Economy 10 …  has a set series of hours spread over the day (they differ in Scotland, I believe), and those hours are ALWAYS by GMT (so in the summer they are staggered by an hour). 

The only example we’ve seen here of actual Economy 10 timings in Northern Scotland (the Scottish Hydro region, designated 17 or P, depending on where you look) were as follows:

SSC TPR Timings Type GMT
938 376 All days all months 0000-0030, 0430-0730,1330-1630,2030-2400 Off Peak !1
938 377 All days all months 0030-0430, 0730-1330, 1630-2030 Peak !1

I extracted the detailed information I have given here from one of the scripts powering the account site*.  This source gives my own timings (which are not E10) as GMT: !0, and I know that they shift by an hour in British Summertime. 

I don’t know how to confirm this categorically; I wouldn’t trust Support from my experience to have either accurate or up-to-date records of things like this. We’ll know in a couple of weeks’ time if all those newly-installed E10 meters in N Scotland suddenly start switching heaters on and off at the same local time as before.

If anyone’s really interested, I found the list of TPRs at line 61222 (getClockingHours) in 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/_static/vendor.bundle.18b2ab63bbe3baa1.js

You can find the associated SSCs in this file:
TPR Reference Sheet16.pdf

This was I obtain from support today for Glens/Angus area in Scotland. Not the same as I was informed when signing for new smart meter change from THTC. But not a million miles away. I will report back after a couple of days to see if this is indeed the case. 

Those are exactly the same GMT times as I quoted above, so what is different from what you were told when you signed up for Economy 10? The times are agreed between the supplier and the DNO (SSEN), so should be set in stone.

I’ll be very interested to hear what times your heating comes on after 27 October! It could well be that the data I found aren’t completely accurate. 

As regards the guarantee you were given, there may be a slight delay (a few minutes) before the heating comes on at the start of each offpeak period. I say ‘may’, because I’m not entirely sure whether the random delay built-in to these meters applies to this plan times. You may have to take a stopwatch to compare the time shown on your IHD at the advertised start of an offpeak period and the time when the red light comes on to indicate a major load. 

Please keep us informed!

Following on.

I was told by CS when I arranged smart meter install my new E10 timings would BST 1-4 pm 8-10pm 12-5 am. As these timing was not what was happening I contact CS via chat  a few days ago and was told my timings would be BST 5.30-8.30 am 2. 30-5.30 pm 9.30pm-01.30 am. These timings I am actually receiving at he moment (bst), take a few minutes. Location Angus Scotland.

On arranging set up I was told by CS my Tariff shown on smart screen would be Stand charge 0.6635, Standard 0.2402 and off peake 0.1821, this was quoted for a start date of 7th Oct. My screen is showing Standing Charge 0.6292 Standard 0.2616 off Peake 0.1821. So a difference in Standing Charge. 

Meter reading take on transfer, and what was added to my account did not corresponded. After phone call reading adjusted to correct reading on old meter, now seen on my online account this morning. New billing seen online is all over the place. I cannot see tariffs for Standard and off Peake rates. I can only see Standing Charge 0.6292 (inc tax). OVO app does work for E10 tariffs, account viewed online.

I was told on this call billing will take 2-6 weeks to sort it self out. Why this long ? Why was my traiff not fully showing.  Todate I have not received a written notice of E10 tariff costs , only verbally via CS and this has not been 100% correct.

I am hoping that billing will adjust in time, but fearful if it not correct on setup/now it will take longer to untangle. So far I spent 3-4hrs dealing with this either on chat, a call or on hold. 

I was told on this call billing will take 2-6 weeks to sort it self out. Why this long ? Why was my traiff not fully showing.  Todate I have not received a written notice of E10 tariff costs , only verbally via CS and this has not been 100% correct.

I am hoping that billing will adjust in time, but fearful if it not correct on setup/now it will take longer to untangle. So far I spent 3-4hrs dealing with this either on chat, a call or on hold. 

Hey @Kirrimove

When a meter is exchanged the national database needs to be informed so they can update their records. The removal reading & install readings are confirmed by a third party data collector & need to be loaded & updated onto our billing systems as well as the new serial number(s). So the industry timeframe is six weeks.

Keep us posted with how you get on once the timeframe has elapsed. 

I was told by CS when I arranged smart meter install my new E10 timings would BST 1-4 pm 8-10pm 12-5 am.

I was told by CS my Tariff shown on smart screen would be ...

Sadly, Support don’t always get it 100% right. The timings should be pretty straightforward, but it’s easy to misread a line in a long table. Rates, on the other hand, are a jungle that it takes a native to navigate, because there are just so many variables:

• Region
  • Name of tariff
  • Date tariff was released
  • Type of meter (single- or multi-rate)
  • Payment method (Direct Debit, On Demand or Prepayment)

OVO are required to publish their tariffs, so you can find them for your region on this page: Our prices | OVO Energy Note that these aren’t set in stone, with some of them changing weekly. These figures are all given ex VAT.

When your account is transferred to a different tariff, you should get a message (nowadays usually by email) giving the rates you’re signing up to - including VAT - and other T&Cs. This is the basis of your contract with OVO, and if there’s any difference between what the email contains and what you see on the Plans page, you’ll have to contact support to find out why.

It may take some time for all these details to be updated in your account, specifically on the Plan page and on bills. Your first bill should have the right rates, although even this can’t be guaranteed, because there are separate bits of the company that deal with all the various aspects of account management. Updates unfortunately don’t move between them at the same pace.

The timings are laid down for an individual multi-rate account by the Meter Timeswitch Code (MTC) which is part of the MPAN (the label in the graphic on that page isn’t quite right). 

I am hoping that billing will adjust in time, …

I’m sure it will. How long that might take is another question.