Skip to main content
Solved

IHD not been received- Old meter type

Hello, this is a long story but I’ll try to keep it short.

I moved into my current property 4 years ago. When I moved in, it was apparent that there was no IHD here. It appears that the previous occupants very annoyingly took it with them.

At the time I was with Eon. I tried numerous times to request an IHD from them, but Eon’s policy is not to give IHDs to anyone!

Since the energy prices rising I am now desperate to get an IHD, it’s impossible for me to track my usage effectively without one. I am aware of the apps (such as Loop), but these are almost useless for working out the amounts of energy and the cost of appliances in real time. I have tried.  Also I’ve seen the Ivie bud IHDs, but I really can’t afford to spend £55 on this, the whole reason I need an IHD is because I’m really trying to save money. 

So, I messaged Ovo, who said of course they would provide me with an IHD if I were to switch to them. With this knowledge, I made the switch just under 1 month ago. I’ve phoned up to request an IHD today, and to my massive disappointment, I’ve been told that my meters are SMETS1, and that they don’t have any SMETS1 IHDs in stock, and that these have now been discontinued.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement, really gutted, all the hassle of switching suppliers seems to have been a total waste of time. I just thought I’d make a post here as a last resort. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for the response @Tim_OVO, and to everyone else who’s contributed thanks again. 

That’s exactly it, being able to work out how much it’s costing for individual appliances. Being able to see how much energy (mainly heating) is costing by simply glancing up at the display. Being able to budget and keep my spending to what I can afford.
I have tried the third party apps, and the dashboards on Eon and now Ovo. Short of me leaving my phone display on 24/7 on the mantle piece, it’s not quite the same as having a tangible purpose-built display. 
It’s a first world problem I’m sure, but it just feels really unfair that the whole population gets one and I’ve never in my life had one!  Such is life though I suppose. 

I see you have gas, just in case you were not aware an IHD only updates every 30min for gas unlike electricity.

Simply to conserve the battery in the gas meter. 

@Smurfhito we say that it can take up to 6 weeks for meter readings to be confirmed between suppliers and final bills issues. Has it been longer? See our guide here for more info:

Have you seen the usage breakdowns available here, @Smurfhito? They offer you usage and cost insight per appliance: https://dashboard.carbon-zero.ovoenergy.com/ovo-greenlight/bill-breakdown

Thanks @Tim_OVO  I can’t see any appliance breakdown on mine, but it says it can’t get my daily usage data now so that’s probably why!

Quick update on my situation, I phoned Ovo today and spoke to a lovely lady, who confirmed that my smets1 meter has now in fact been updated, so should be compatible with the IHDs that Ovo have available to them. She said they don’t have any in stock currently, so she’s put me on the waiting list, but couldn’t give any indication of how long I might be waiting. 
I just wondered if you might have any idea how long the wait could be? @Tim_OVO Any further advice would be appreciated.

The Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 is the one you probably need. Those things are literally gold dust.

The Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 is the one you probably need. Those things are literally gold dust.

Have we seen any posts where people have been given S1 IHDs over the last few months?

I can't honestly remember any, but i may have missed them. 

@Jeffus Hopefully that’s down to people receiving them not feeling a need to come back here… I suppose the still waiting/unhappy ones are more likely to come back here!  I promise though, I will come back here and let you know once (if!) I receive one.

@Blastoise186 thanks for the info, that’s good to know

@Jeffus Hopefully that’s down to people receiving them not feeling a need to come back here… I suppose the still waiting/unhappy ones are more likely to come back here!  I promise though, I will come back here and let you know once (if!) I receive one.

@Blastoise186 thanks for the info, that’s good to know

Honestly, i fear you have been misled again by the OVO Support Team, again an honest mistake.

But hopefully i am wrong 😊

That would be a shame. Previously (when they thought my SMETS1 hadn’t been upgraded) they basically said there’s no chance of getting an IHD (until it’s upgraded at least), as those IHDs had been discontinued, and so they wouldn’t be getting anymore.

Today however, they said that now their system is updated, and they can now see that my SMETS1 has been updated recently, that they can obtain IHDs for it…. But that they didn’t have any in stock. So hopefully it’s just a waiting game… and ideally not too long! I’m am a bit more hopeful at least. 
Maybe Tim or another Ovo rep can shed some light on stock levels/wait times etc. 

Fingers crossed you get your IHD soon, @Smurfhito. I won’t be able to confirm stock levels or give delivery estimates. But your online account pages should be working in the meantime.

Do you have daily smart readings? Check this here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

If you do, those great usage breakdowns should be available: https://dashboard.carbon-zero.ovoenergy.com/ovo-greenlight/bill-breakdown

Thanks @Tim_OVO  Shame no one can give any idea of wait time, I’m sure someone in Ovo must have some idea… seems like I might be in for a long wait. 

I don’t have any daily readings on the first link, and also no daily usage data on the usage section. It seems that you are just taking my smart meter readings monthly at present (once on 21st March and then the next one on 21st April).

Thanks @Tim_OVO  Shame no one can give any idea of wait time, I’m sure someone in Ovo must have some idea… seems like I might be in for a long wait. 

I don’t have any daily readings on the first link, and also no daily usage data on the usage section. It seems that you are just taking my smart meter readings monthly at present (once on 21st March and then the next one on 21st April).

If you phone up OVO you can ask them to change your meter reading frequency to every 30mins.

Then you should see 30min data on the usage page and daily readings on the readings page

That would be a shame. Previously (when they thought my SMETS1 hadn’t been upgraded) they basically said there’s no chance of getting an IHD (until it’s upgraded at least), as those IHDs had been discontinued, and so they wouldn’t be getting anymore.

Today however, they said that now their system is updated, and they can now see that my SMETS1 has been updated recently, that they can obtain IHDs for it…. But that they didn’t have any in stock. So hopefully it’s just a waiting game… and ideally not too long! I’m am a bit more hopeful at least. 
Maybe Tim or another Ovo rep can shed some light on stock levels/wait times etc. 

Back in the day, one of the only IHDs compatible with a Secure Liberty meter was the Secure Pipit 500, though some Chameleon IHDs (like the original IHD1, IHD2 and IHD3) also worked. It’s no longer manufactured and Secure has basically run out of stock. I’m told that OVO’s stocks of spare Pipit 500 IHDs have also completely dried up and the only ones left are a handful of test units in the Smart Meter Lab (I spotted a couple when I was there last year) - but those ones cannot be used outside of testing.

Now you’ve got your meter on DCC though, it’s a bit easier. You could for example look into the SMETS1 variants of the ivie Bud or Hildebrand Glow IHD as they both work with S1+ meters.

Thanks again for all the responses guys. 

I can see that this has been marked as ‘solved’, but as I still haven’t received the IHD, I wouldn’t consider the matter solved at all, so could my post be unmarked as such? This gives a false impression that Ovo have solved the problem, and that is far from the truth at present. 

I promise, as soon as I receive the IHD I will report back, and then of course I think we can reasonably mark the post as solved. 

Thanks again for all the responses guys. 

I can see that this has been marked as ‘solved’, but as I still haven’t received the IHD, I wouldn’t consider the matter solved at all, so could my post be unmarked as such? This gives a false impression that Ovo have solved the problem, and that is far from the truth at present. 

I promise, as soon as I receive the IHD I will report back, and then of course I think we can reasonably mark the post as solved. 

Hi @Smurfhito 

That is a good question that has been raised before by others. 

In general the way the customer forum works is that when the forum has done its best to answer a question then the best answer is selected and the thread is marked as solved. 

This sometimes means the customers query isn't fixed, but there isn't anything else that the forum can  realistically suggest. The customer forum isn't meant to be an alternative to any case management tool that OVO have internally. 

It doesn’t stop you posting updates or queries.

You could add an Idea if you have other thoughts about this feature and see if it gets any traction with other customers and OVO if you feel strongly. 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas

You may also notice at some point your separate thread may disappear and the content merged with similar threads related to IHDs now.  You will notice that on some of the threads with lots of posts. 

Just popping in to update my situation in relation to obtaining (or more accurately, not obtaining!) a smart meter IHD.

Despite countless phone calls, emails, a complaint, and a scathing review on trustpilot, I am still waiting for an IHD, almost 15 months after joining OVO. Not forgetting before I joined, they promised (in writing) that they could send me one if I joined.

I don’t expect I’ll ever get one from OVO, so will probably be looking to change supplier in the next week.

Hi @Smurfhito ,

As we’ve said before, getting an IHD for an S1 Meter is an absolute nightmare. It’s unlikely any other supplier will be able to get you one, so if that’s the sole reason for switching you should probably reconsider.

The FASTEST way to get one is to use my guide:

Thanks @Blastoise186 

I’ve already spoken to Octopus Energy who confirmed that they can provide one for my meter if I were to join them. Fingers crossed they will be true to their word (unlike OVO).

I begrudge paying for one. I’ve never had one before, work hard for a living, and pay my bills on time. I feel that frankly, I shouldn’t have to pay for something that every other household gets for free - although maybe I am mad, considering the amount of time I’ve spent trying to obtain one!

Thanks for your advice today and previously, you’re an asset to the forum. It is appreciated.

Unbelievably, my IHD arrived today. I’m assuming I must be in some kind of mundane dream (dammit, dreaming of IHDs again)! But on the off chance I’m not, I’m doing as promised and letting you know when it was received. 

For any stats fans, the current wait time for a SMETS1 IHD from Ovo, at least in my case, was 452 days (mine was first requested on 21 March 2023). 

Good luck to anyone trying to get hold of one, I hope you get yours quicker than I got mine!

Hi @Smurfhito 

I’m glad to hear you’ve received an IHD for your SMETS1 - I know these have been in high demand with such low stock throughout all suppliers so I’m glad you’ve managed to get one.

Keep us updated with how you get on and if you’ve got any other questions always feel free to pop back to the Forum.🙂