Solved

Why is the reading on my smart meter different from the reading on my account?

• 5 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve just looked at my electricity smart meter reading on the actual meter and on the IHD and although they are the same (34350) they are both different to the smart reading given on my OVO account (33384).

I’m wondering where the extra 966 kWh have gone! When I had the smart meter installed I was on a dual rate tariff which was then changed to a single rate via the smart meter. Is that where the difference has come from?

icon

Best answer by juliamc 5 June 2023, 15:59

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are different registers on the smart meter including one of ‘total’ use/history. I wonder if the higher reading is related to that rather than the main register in current use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Be interesting to see what some of the 3rd party apps pull off the meters

https://loop.homes/

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

https://glowmarkt.com/bright

Whether it is what you are seeing on the meter or on the ovo website.

Although i am not sure if any of the 3rd party apps can actually pull off this data. I suspect they might not be able to. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There are different registers on the smart meter including one of ‘total’ use/history. I wonder if the higher reading is related to that rather than the main register in current use?

Interesting, so it may be reading the total of the two registers (old peak and off peak data), but now only one of the registers is being used. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks. I’ll have another look, but I didn’t see one that gave the 33384 reading… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks ! I now have pressed button 6 (Secure Liberty 100 meter) and found Register 01 with the 33384 (now 33390) reading. Register 02 reads 961.6 so I assume that’s not being increased now. Previously I was pressing button 9 so getting the total.

What is kVArh please ? I have Imp 883.0 and Exp 1989.7

@Jeffus my Bright app doesn’t give the meter reading as you suspected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

kVArh isn’t generally used for domestic properties so you don’t need to worry there. :)

It’s more useful for the DNO than it is for OVO!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5264697/energy-measurement-kvarh

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, as the mse forum poster tries to explain there’s useful power and no-use power which combine to make the kvar measurement. 
If you imagine pushing a car, the horizontal part of the push is useful but say the rear has a spoiler and you push on that .. the part of the push that goes elsewhere (more up or down) is not that useful and so is not converted into useful power (kw).

As Blastoise mentions, it’s not really for domestic properties but for commercial, they have to try and make sure most of their energy is useful as they pay for it all

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks ! I now have pressed button 6 (Secure Liberty 100 meter) and found Register 01 with the 33384 (now 33390) reading. Register 02 reads 961.6 so I assume that’s not being increased now. Previously I was pressing button 9 so getting the total.

What is kVArh please ? I have Imp 883.0 and Exp 1989.7

@Jeffus my Bright app doesn’t give the meter reading as you suspected.

There is a change request for the 3rd party applications to get the meter reading data as well as the 30min usage data  but the last time i looked there were already concerns about capacity given the much higher use of 3rd party apps already than was originally expected. Forums like this are probably part of the reason, along with the scheme National Grid ran over the winter to reduce energy at peak times which many of the apps took part in.