Solved

Why is my British Gas Landis and Gyr (L & G) electricity smart meter beeping?

• 3 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Landis+GYR E470 electricity meter beeping

Please please help! Day two of this darn meter beeping and I can't even escape it because I live in a small flat! It's 1.35am... this meter is driving me nuts!

On the digital display thing I've also increased the budget as per one of the conversations on here. This hasn't worked... It's still beeping.

I've had the smart meter for a couple of years with no problems. I genuinely don't understand how to stop the beeping.

Who takes responsibility for the unit? British Gas installed it but I'm now with BULB.

Please please make the beeping stop!

Thanks,
Nirmita

icon

Best answer by NinjaGeek 3 January 2019, 11:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 12/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear about the beeping Landis and Gyr meter - that does sound like a very frustrating issue!

I’d recommend checking that the beep is definitely coming from your electricity meter and not your gas meter - All gas meters have an internal battery that power them. If it’s your gas smart meter that’s making a beeping sound, it's likely that the battery is low and the meter will need replacing free of charge. See more details about this here.

Even if they didn’t originally install the meters, it would be your current supplier who are responsible for maintaining them. If you’re an OVO member with this issue, reach out to our Support Team, if not contact your current supplier for more help.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi,

Hoping that someone can help me before I lose the will to live! I had a Landis+ Gyr E470 Smart Meter installed about 7 or 8 years ago. This afternoon the HAN light on the accompanying Trilliant box has started flashing red and it is continually beeping. 

Any ideas on how I can stop the beeping? I’ve got two young children and the meter is at the bottom of the stairs so it’s likely to disrupt their sleep :-| 

Any help will be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Simon V ,

That sounds like a possible fault or that the tamper alarm on the Comms Hub has been triggered somehow. I’m afraid you can’t stop that yourself but you can request a faulty meter exchange via the Support Team and someone can fix it for you.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Simon V and thanks for posting this question. What an annoying situation that beeping comms hub must be!

Not sure that one was related to a Trilliant comms hub, which is actually separate from the meter. As Blastoise has mentioned, our Support team may need to arrange an engineer visit. 

Thanks for responding Tim. Turns out my wife had moved some bits around in our cupboard where the meters are and had knocked something onto the carbon monoxide alarm! Moved it off that and all is good (and quiet) in the world! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice detective work there!

My theory wasn’t completely wrong though - the Trilliant comms hubs can beep in the event of a fault or upon triggering the anti-tamper mechanism. It’s the only model known to have that functionality but it’s not very helpful!