Solved

Why does the language on my Chameleon IHD appear to be Welsh and how can I resolve my IHD signal issues?

• 19 January 2019
  • 10 replies

The language is in what appears to be Welsh, is there a way to change this?
And there's no signal showing at all on the device, not for wan or to the meter.
I think it's showing usage for the past few days I guess, as I don't understand Welsh it's hard to tell!
Hoping someone can help.
icon

Best answer by direhi9637 1 August 2020, 11:31

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

The language is in what appears to be Welsh, is there a way to change this?

I have never heard of this @dazzypops - would love a picture so we can advise more!

I've only ever seen the IHD be in English...

The unit itself is due to be replaced. I believe EDF are sending a new one as this appears to be faulty. It wasn't showing any signs of connectivity at all either.

Updated 14/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great to hear about your new smart meters. Sounds like your In-Home Display has been affected by a slight glitch and defaulted to Welsh - Ddrwg ‘da fi! (Sorry!)

Follow these steps to change back to English:

1. Tap the”OK” button at the bottom of the IHD screen.
2. Tap the right arrow until you see “Gosodiadau Wedi anfon yr” and tap OK.
3. Tap the right arrow 8 times until you reach the option “Dewis iaith Wedi anfon yr” (if this doesn't work, you may need to try the next option: “Clirio Gosodidau Wedi anfon yr") and tap “OK”.
4. Tap the left arrow to select English, then tap "OK".

If you still notice connection issues that don’t resolve themselves once the language is updated, there are a few things to check:

• Ensure the IHD is near the Electricity meter.
  • Check the Wifi symbol on the IHD, if this is flashing or has a line through it then the IHD is out of range or disconnected.
  • Check if your Smart meter is sending us readings (you can do this by logging in to your online account or OVO app - download for Android or iOS) - if not please complete a Smart meter health check (S1 health check or S2 health check) and contact our Support Team with the results.

There’s more advice on our Chameleon IHD guides for S1 meters or S2 meters

The advice above relates to our Chameleon IHDs, if you have a Pipit IHD, see this IHD guide for more help.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7

This is brilliant to have online, @direhi9637 - now anyone with the same issue can find this question and get your answer to fix it - nice one! :cowboy:

My language has also changed to Welsh. I have tried the steps above but seem to have different Welsh prompts coming up in my menu so have been unable to change back to English. Also my three lights are not working….. 

Userlevel 6

How odd, @Helene, the above info is spot on. It’s going to be best to give the team a call, they’ll be in the best position to help. 

You can reach the team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps. 

Have just moved into a new place and our smart meter gives all the information in Welsh! We are in Bristol and neither of us speak or understand Welsh. How can I change the language?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Neil Sherring 1 

Follow these steps to change back to English:

1. Tap the”OK” button at the bottom of the IHD screen.
2. Tap the right arrow until you see “Gosodiadau Wedi anfon yr” and tap OK.
3. Tap the right arrow 8 times until you reach the option “Dewis iaith Wedi anfon yr” (if this doesn't work, you may need to try the next option: “Clirio Gosodidau Wedi anfon yr") and tap “OK”.
4. Tap the left arrow to select English, then tap "OK".

Userlevel 7
Badge

I don’t have one of these, but a quick Internet search revealed many pages with instructions for the Chameleon. One of them showed this:

The OK or MENU button allows you to access the settings of your Smart In-Home Display including budget, screen settings such as brightness, and language. Use the arrows to navigate through the menu followed by OK to confirm your selection

Smart In-Home Displays: User Guides and Frequently Asked Questions - Chameleon Technology 

Thanks for your help. 

All good now that I can understand the smart meter 👍