Question

What to do if my smart gas meter has condensation in the display screen, doesn't send readings remotely and can't be read?

• 7 February 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

Rank

Hope someone  can help. Our gas smart meter is not communicating, I did contact Ovo via the chat. They asked me to fill out a questionnaire, which I duly did, & haven't heard anything since. The problem is the meters display has bad condensation on the inside of it, (pic) making it impossible to read. It also doesn't respond to any button pressing and is making a noise. There clearly is a problem with this meter, and would like it looked at asap, as my bills seemed to have increased, probably due to an estimation on the gas.
I look forward to your reply.

Regards.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Howdy @Steveo ,

That looks like one faulty gas meter to me! I can definitely say that the display should NOT look that unhealthy at all. It looks like water or condensation has gotten into the electronics and probably damaged something.

The best advice I’d recommend here would probably be to have your meters swapped out via a Meter Exchange request. Since there’s a fault on the gas meter, OVO should be happy to pull out their credit card to pay for the job.

You might also want to chat with them about your bill concerns too. If it looks like the fault has messed up the metering, OVO can take a look and go from there.

I’d recommend the live chat in this case. If you tell the agent you spoke to Blastoise186 on the forums and provide a link to this thread, they’ll be able to see what we’ve said here.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Steveo and thanks for posting. 

You’ve outlined a few things here, but they may or may not be related. 

1. Condensation in the meter display screen: this would likely mean a free ‘faulty meter exchange’ can be booked in here. Especially if that gas smart meter can’t send OVO the readings remotely. However we need to look at why there’s condensation. Is the gas meter box getting wet? Does it have an intact meter box door? Does it flood? Please see this topic on gas meter boxes with water in them. This topic also lists types of engineer visits and what you have to do with broken meter boxes. 
  2. Why isn’t your gas meter sending its readings remotely? Please see this topic to diagnose Secure S1 smart communication issues. 
  3. Noise coming from your gas meter area is not uncommon. To see if it’s normal or needs an engineer visit, see this topic

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply Tim. The meter box is dry as a bone !

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So it’s probably not a broken meter box then. And I’m not sure noise is the issue here. Since the electronics have probably been fried anyway, how about a free gift from OVO in the form of some shiny new smart meters @Steveo ?

OVO no longer fits the SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters that you currently have, since they now fit SMETS2 meters these days. This might mean your electricity meter will be switched out as well, to ensure compatibility (plus, see if you can get the team to throw in a free Chameleon  IHD6 too as a bonus gift!). :wink:

I don’t think this counts as an emergency, but you should be able to get someone out to take a look.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Steveo and thanks for posting. 

You’ve outlined a few things here, but they may or may not be related. 

1. Condensation in the meter display screen: this would likely mean a free ‘faulty meter exchange’ can be booked in here. Especially if that gas smart meter can’t send OVO the readings remotely. However we need to look at why there’s condensation. Is the gas meter box getting wet? Does it have an intact meter box door? Does it flood? Please see this topic on gas meter boxes with water in them. This topic also lists types of engineer visits and what you have to do with broken meter boxes. 
  2. Why isn’t your gas meter sending its readings remotely? Please see this topic to diagnose Secure S1 smart communication issues. 
  3. Noise coming from your gas meter area is not uncommon. To see if it’s normal or needs an engineer visit, see this topic

Hope this helps! 

Thanks,   Cant  check meter without a working display ! the IHD is blank on the gas read out too ! your link for a meter exchange doesn’t take me anywhere helpful……….Really getting fed up with all the chasing around !  Please forward this onto the relevant engineering dept If you represent OVO ? and follow up confirmation. Let me know if you cannot do this, and I will persevere !!!

Regards

Userlevel 1

So it’s probably not a broken meter box then. And I’m not sure noise is the issue here. Since the electronics have probably been fried anyway, how about a free gift from OVO in the form of some shiny new smart meters @Steveo ?

OVO no longer fits the SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters that you currently have, since they now fit SMETS2 meters these days. This might mean your electricity meter will be switched out as well, to ensure compatibility (plus, see if you can get the team to throw in a free Chameleon  IHD6 too as a bonus gift!). :wink:

I don’t think this counts as an emergency, but you should be able to get someone out to take a look.

Cheers……..This is dammed frustrating ! 👎

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sorry for the trouble @Steveo .

You should find the contact details at https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container if that helps. The support team can make the arrangements from there.

The forums are volunteer led and I’m a customer who helps out on a regular basis as a trusted volunteer. Tim is an OVO Employee and can step in if needed though.

Userlevel 1

Sorry for the trouble @Steveo .

You should find the contact details at https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container if that helps. The support team can make the arrangements from there.

The forums are volunteer led and I’m a customer who helps out on a regular basis as a trusted volunteer. Tim is an OVO Employee and can step in if needed though.

Thanks,  appreciate the volunteers ! Same page link as Tim’s. So what option should I click on to get further with this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @Steveo .

Feel free to give the pink Online Chat button a go, which will let you reach the team via Live Chat. If you’d rather speak to someone over the phone, Call Us will reveal the number. Both are near the bottom of the page.

Live Chat tends to be a bit faster than phone. Average waits are under 30 seconds.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Blastoise186 

Managed to speak to a human. Will see if they manage to replace the faulty meter in approx 4 weeks time. She didn't know if it would be the Smets 2 ! Will report back with either a thumbs up or down 🤔👍

Userlevel 1

Will be "Solved" when all is completed Tim !

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No worries.

It most likely will be a SMETS2, since the old SMETS1 Secure Liberty meters don’t get installed anymore by any supplier, except in very specific edge cases. Most likely if your meters do get replaced you’d get something like a SMETS2 Aclara SGM1400 Series electric meter and a SMETS2 Flonidan UniFlo gas meter.

This sort of setup would also come with a SMETS2 Comms Hub on the electric meter, usually from either Toshiba or WNC. Since they’re not compatible with SMETS1 meters, you may well get lucky yet. Just a heads up though, whether it’s a SMETS1 or SMETS2, it may take a few weeks after the installation for new meters to go live properly, but they will go live eventually.

Userlevel 1

Thanks...lots of info Therein. You must love OVO 👊

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Uh oh, you’ve caught me red handed there!

Yup. I’ve never had better service elsewhere myself. OVO is also one of the only suppliers to have a community forum too. There’s a few others that have one as well, but not many. You should never underestimate the power of the community...

Userlevel 1

To be fair we've had a trouble free few years. Maybe it's me, but it seemed like jumping through hoops to get to where I wanted to be ! Next time I will speak to a member of the team for answers. It's much slower dealing on line imho. Thanks for being so proactive, you deserve a pat on the back 💪 perhaps they who monitor, could take a leaf out of your book. But trust me, if things don't go as planned, " I will be back"

atb 

Steve

Alb