Skip to main content
Solved

Smart meter reading not matching the In Home Display or online account reading?

• 27 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m a former SSE customer who was moved to OVO in July and I’ve had nothing but problems with readings and bills since then.

My latest problem is that the smart metre readings sent automatically and registered to my account are wildly inaccurate. Today’s registered reading from the smart metre for example was 3664 but the actual reading on my electricity meter is 3466. How is this so out?? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @ash882 ,

Can you show me photos of your meters please? I’ll see if I can help you figure some of this out.

Userlevel 7

It sounds like we’re estimating your readings, either because the smart meter has a communication issues or because OVO haven’t managed to connect to the meter yet since you switched. It can take 6 weeks. If that’s correct, you should be able to manually submit readings here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Submit that reading to get your live billing and charges corrected with an actual reading. 

Let us know the latest when you have a chance,
Tim

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply.

There’s nothing on the app to indicated these readings are an estimate. See below screenshot taken from my app just now.

So again, where are these readings coming from??

Furthermore, I am unable to add my own metre reading since a smart metre reading has been recorded…!

Make it make sense. 😩

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There seems to be a problem with your meter readings. Somehow, someone or something submitted a Manual reading of 3420 on the 3rd August 2022 when you previously had a Smart reading of 3468 on the 8th July 2022. That’s meant to be impossible and could be a clue as to when and where things went wrong.

Smart readings also take priority over Manual readings but if you really desperately need to force something through that’s different, there’s a way to do that. I only recommend doing this if things are significantly different though. Contact support and ask them to help submit a meter reading. Live chat should work for this but in your case I wouldn’t recommend trying to submit a manual reading at all right now unless the smart meter really has messed up the readings that got sent in.

Hi there. Yes I entered that manual reading in august because that’s what the electricity meter in my flat said at the time, hence why I’m getting stressed about about these inaccurate smart metre readings. I don’t know if my downstairs neighbours smart metre has been added to my account incorrectly or what!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s a way to check. Please look at the Meter Serial Number(s) under https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan and see if they match up to what’s on the meter(s) themselves. If none of them match up, this is a clue and I’ll be able to recommend your next steps.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 09/08/24 by Abby_OVO

It sounds like we’re estimating your readings, either because the smart meter has a communication issues or because OVO haven’t managed to connect to the meter yet since you switched. It can take 6 weeks. If that’s correct, you should be able to manually submit readings here:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Submit that reading to get your live billing and charges corrected with an actual reading. 

There’s nothing on the app to indicated these readings are an estimate. See below screenshot taken from my app just now.

I entered that manual reading in august because that’s what the electricity meter in my flat said at the time, hence why I’m getting stressed about about these inaccurate smart metre readings. I don’t know if my downstairs neighbours smart metre has been added to my account incorrectly or what!

Yep nice one Blastoise, my first impression here is that either @ash882 you might’ve read the wrong meter, or the smart readings we’re getting aren’t from your meter. Can you check that meter serial number like Blastoise mentioned here:

There’s a way to check. Please look at the Meter Serial Number(s) under https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan and see if they match up to what’s on the meter(s) themselves. If none of them match up, this is a clue and I’ll be able to recommend your next steps.