Solved

Moved into a home with a smart meter, my usage seems really high?

• 14 December 2023
  • 38 replies

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 2

Thanks. All this has used a lot of my limited energy and has become very stressful as I need steady temperatures to not put a strain on my M.E. Other people's neglect and carelessness is so unhelpful. I will keep you posted and would not hesitate to return in the future as it has been invaluable. Thank you.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Technophobe,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

Registering for the Priority Services might help as you may be eligible for a free gas safety check.

• Free Gas Safety Checks – some PSR members can get free Gas Safety Checks. Check if you're eligible for a free check:

• Live with a child under five years old,

• Live alone or with others and have reached state pension age, or

• Live alone or with others and are disabled or chronically ill,

• Live with others who have reached state pension age or are disabled, chronically ill or under 18 years old

• I’m eligible. How do I apply? Just call 0330 303 5063 and we’ll get you booked in

• What happens at a gas safety check?

• A Gas Safe registered* engineer will come to your home to check the safety of your gas appliances and other gas fittings.

• They’ll also examine the effectiveness of any flue, the supply of combustion air, it's operating pressure and/or heat input and that it's operating safely. If the engineer spots anything that’s faulty or not safe, they’ll disconnect your gas supply before they leave

• The Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body in Great Britain and the Isle of Man on 1 April 2009.

So....2 adults living in a terraced house,both of us work nights,maybe have tv on for an hour a day,have airfryer don't use oven,probably use washer 2 days a week (non peak time)and have dryer(bought new one just in case old 1 was using lots of electric)currently paying £163 per month for electric!according to the ovo app I'm using 287% more than other ovo homes😳my home last week 155kwh,other homes 40.25kwh!my home £40.12,other homes £11.00!tried talking to ovo and they tell me your only paying for what you're using(smart meter fitted)surely this can't be right?FYI last months bill £324!!!!!!any help appreciated 🤷🤦

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yiddo74 , the ‘similar homes’ bit should be taken with a significant pinch of salt .. you’re never sure what they’re comparing. 
It's best to check your meter readings to make sure they’re using actual and not estimated readings (can happen even with a smart meter).

You don’t mention heating - what fuel is used for space and water heating?

Gas central heating, meter readings seem similar to there readings.just find it amazing according to there app in a week,£12.58 for entertainment?£8.19 washer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Gas central heating, meter readings seem similar to there readings.just find it amazing according to there app in a week,£12.58 for entertainment?£8.19 washer?

The appliance usage part is questionable as well .. more if a guess than anything else

Userlevel 7
Badge

Of the items you mention, the dryer is the most greedy. If you have an In-Home Display, use it to see just how much electricity (in kWh) it’s using while it’s running.

As BP pointed out, you didn’t mention any sort of heating apparatus; they have the biggest appetite of all. My electric shower alone gobbles up 1.5 kWh, so together with the fan heater I have to use to defrost the bathroom before showering, each shower costs me 2.5 kWh. Most people without gas will have an immersion heater for hot water, and it’s really common to switch it on and forget about it. They are often rated at 3-6 kW, so having it on for just one hour could use up 3-6 kWh.

All that said, your usage does look crazy as you say, so have a look at your meter readings page to find out whether your consumption is being estimated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thinking a little more about this @Yiddo74 , if you have a smart meter, it would help to understand when and possibly what is consuming the energy. 
Set to give 30 minute readings, they can show peaks of usage which can help to guide towards any unintended usage

Userlevel 6

Hey @Yiddo74 

Our volunteers have left some really helpful advice here already.

Energy insights are a guess bases on the amount of energy consumed in a period of time, there’s no true way for the smart meter to tell what appliance etc is being used exactly.

It would be good to know what your meter reading schedule is, as this will give us a better indication of how accurate those guesses are.

Thinking a little more about this @Yiddo74 , if you have a smart meter, it would help to understand when and possibly what is consuming the energy. 
Set to give 30 minute readings, they can show peaks of usage which can help to guide towards any unintended usage

A meter reading schedule set to half hourly readings will give you the best idea of how much is being used by appliances like BPLightlog mentioned.

Has anybody experienced higher than normal meter readings. My account is showing fin January to April, 2024, I have used more than my total bill for 2023.

I have always been a low user so this is confusing to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Marshy56 ,

Gonna need some more info from you before we can offer any advice. Please post photos of your meters so we know what you’ve got.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3

Hi @Marshy56, 

I’m sorry to hear this. 

As Blastoise186 has mentioned, we’d just need some more information from you before we can try to offer any advice. I’m afraid we don’t have access to your account here so it may also be worth contacting our Support Team who’d be able to look into this further for you.

Thank you very much for the help and advice.

I have just been contacted by OVO, by telephone and with a follow up email, that explained things in detail. I now understand.

Thank you