Solved

Immersion heater stopped working after smart meter installation

Hi,

I had a smart meter installed on Friday and since then my immersion heater has not been heating up overnight. I’m on an economy 7 tarrif and the meter installed is a 5 terminal meter. The meter shows two rates and both meter readings have changed so it appears to be recording energy use on both tarriffs. Nothing has been tripped and I’ve also tried resetting the immersion heater but still no hot water. The boost function still works though. 

Has anyone had a similar experience/know what a fix might be?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 March 2023, 15:51

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @cwebster17 ,

Sounds like it just needs the schedules set up via SMETS Commands. Support can arrange that for you! :)

Hi @Blastoise186 

Thanks for your response! Do you know how long that might take and would an engineer need to visit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Once requested, it should be done within a couple of days remotely, no engineer visit needed.

Hi @cwebster17 - I’ve had similar, last week, when new smart meter fitted.  Still to fully resolve.

Fifth terminal feeds dedicated E7 bottom element in water heater cylinder (possibly same in your case).

@Tim_OVO kindly requested remote ALCS update but secondary contactor on fifth port/terminal still not activating (the update did activate the 2A load control relay, but nothing is connected to this).

Hopefully another try will get it back on track!

Hi @SteveBee 

Thanks for tagging me in your post, really helpful info as to understanding how the whole thing works. It seems like we’re having the exact same problem - hope they are both fixed soon! 

@Tim_OVO if I provide my meter serial number could you please request the same for my meter as to whether the ECAUL/ALCS schedule is configured correctly ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That might just be possible to do. Could you grab a photo of the meter and post it here? That usually makes things easier as one of us can extract the MSN from that.

Thanks @Blastoise186, here’s my meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This message was posted by SkyNet Blastoise Bot, on behalf of Blastoise186

Image analysis complete! A Meter Serial Number was detected and extracted!

Identification method: MSN Barcode

Detected MSN: 21M0207735

Thanks @cwebster17, let me know how it goes.

Userlevel 7

@cwebster17 I’ve shared your details in case the team are able to help via the forum. Normally we’d recommend doing this via our Support team but hopefully the team are able to help this way for now. 

@SteveBee I’ve just replied to your topic with an update as well!

@Tim_OVO Thank you! I did also contact the support team on Tuesday morning and I believe they were going to resend the ECAUL. I’m yet to hear anything back/have the off peak supply start working again so I was wondering how long I can expect this to take? Completely understand that these things take time. Just a bit of a pain (and expensive) having to constantly use the boost function for hot water and not know how long I might be doing this for. 

Userlevel 1

Hi. 
Had a smart meter installed yesterday on economy 7  and this morning woke up to no hot water and cold storage heaters. The display unit says we have only used 65p since midnight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Userlevel 1

Hi BPLightlog. 
Yes it has terminal 5 connected. I did notice the contactor icon never closed at all last night and I suppose this would explain it not using any electricity. 
Thanks for getting back. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi BPLightlog. 
Yes it has terminal 5 connected. I did notice the contactor icon never closed at all last night and I suppose this would explain it not using any electricity. 
Thanks for getting back. 

Looking at the other thread, they managed to update the meter config remotely so it’s worth following the same process. You will need to let them know your meter id as they can’t tell just from your account here (it’s not linked and a public forum)

Userlevel 1

Thank you! I’ll have a look. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @cwebster17 yep that fits with the update on our side, which is that the request to update the meter was sent on 23/03 but failed with a status of ‘E21’ (which means no response from the device). There are various reasons this may have happened and we asked someone to re-try it today.

That worked, so this should now be sorted!

Hi @Tim_OVO 

Everything seems to be working this morning, thank you! 

had the same kinda prb.. Before I had the smart metre everything was fine I had hot water and storage heaters on economy 7 since the meter Ive got no water and no storage heaters ,I spoke to yourself who are asking for a report to say the storage heaters are working when I told you that I can get a electriction to cone out at midnight , and I still got get hot water ,

Userlevel 6

Hey @katesmith1304 

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve been having.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so you’ll be best to get in touch with the Support Team to check this and get them to make the change if that’s what is required. 

Keep us updated with how you get on with this issue, as it may be helpful for other users in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Most likely it just needs ECAUL and ALCS configs applied. Provided it’s a Five-Terminal Meter, the fix can be deployed remotely which should kick that heater back into action at the right times.

I’ve had the same issue. We had a smart meter installed last week. When I called support, they told me that it shouldn’t have affected the immersion heater, or radiators, and that I should book an engineer to sort it out 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Martyb76 it’s probably just ECAUL/ALCS settings. This can be fixed remotely quite easily in most cases - the settings just need to be sent over.

Hello Experts,

I have same issue since last Wednesday. Everything was working well until smart meter got installed. 

Now No hot water and No heater since Wednesday.

Honestly, I am not at all technical in this matter. So, some of the terminologies are completely beyond my head.

I only know that without heater and hot water, this time is painful.

Please do us needful.

Thank You

Maulik

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Maulik , if you have the same sort of meter (5 terminal) as the others, it maybe a similar update required. You will need to ask customer support to action

Great. I will call them again on Monday. Surprisingly, They don’t work in weekends.

Thank You @BPLightlog