Skip to main content
Solved

I have a first generation smart meter can I get an upgrade?

• 1 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I moved to OVO on the 17th April. I was previously with British Gas and I have a SMETS1 Smart Meter. How long do I need to wait until I can get a SMETS2 meter installed?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jesmond ,

Can you do something for me and tell me what the tool at https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/ says?

Badge

Hi,

I have checked the website and it confirms that my meter isworking in smart mode.

Badge

I have also just found this post which I guess answers my question.

Updated on 06/03/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

OVO are now fitting Aclara second generation SMETS2 (S2) smart meters for all smart meter installations. You can find out more about these meters on our S2 smart meter guide here and more about the installation process here. As with all suppliers there’s never a charge for upgrading to a smart meter.

If you decide to switch to OVO, you’ll be able to book a Smart meter installation online once you’ve received your opening statement. You’ll just need your Account number (which you can find on your online account or OVO app - Download for Android or iOS).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 14/05/24 by Abby_OVO

Ok. If your current meter works fine with OVO, you won’t be eligible to have it replaced because you won’t need it to be replaced.

As Blastoise186 has mentioned, if you’ve already got a working smart meter, no matter what generation model it is, we won’t replace that meter unless it becomes out life span or faulty.

If you think there’s a problem with your smart meter, check out the smart meter health checks below and complete the necessary check for your meter: