Solved

How can I check my Economy 7 smart meter readings on my Chameleon In-Home Display?

• 20 March 2022
  • 2 replies

had a smart meter installed recently on economy 7 tarrif with an in house display (camelion). the gas meter reading appears on the display but the electricity meter readings appear as 1 reading which seems to be the day and night rate added together. Have I got the unit set up wrong ? 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 21 March 2022, 13:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 12/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @ben335 and thanks for posting this question on the OVO Forum. We do IHDs pretty well over here…

I’m going to make some assumptions in my answer, as you’ve had a recent smart meter. That means it’s likely an S2 (SMETS2) meter. If OVO fitted it, this will be an Aclara, which we’ve made a guide for here:

I’ve listed how to take an economy 7 meter reading for this smart meter and both types of Chameleon IHDs that we provide:

Chameleon IHD3:

How to check your meter readings 1. Tap OK 2. Press the right arrow three times 3. Tap OK 4. Use the UTILITY button to toggle between your electricity and gas readings

Chameleon IHD6:

How to check your meter readings 1. Tap MENU 2. Press the right arrow to go to the next page 3. Tap METER INFO 4. Use the arrows to scroll through your old readings and your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN)

Aclara S2 smart meter:

How to check your meter readings: To take an electricity reading, press ‘A’ three times - ‘TOU rate 1’ will be the electricity reading. For Economy 7 members, pressing ‘A’ a fourth time will show the second reading labelled ‘TOU rate 2’.

I’d recommend you refer to the meter reading on the meter itself, and you can see your peak and off peak (rate 1 and rate 2) charges in the Billing history tab of your online account, here. If you believe you’re actually being charges on one rate, please flag this to our Support team so they can check the plan that’s connected to your smart meter and IHD. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @ben335 , sorry for the wait!

I’m Blastoise186 by the way, one of the forum volunteers who helps out here.

I’ve been trying to dig into this one using the resources I can find, and based on those I don’t think you’ve set anything up incorrectly. It actually seems to be a bit of a limitation with IHDs and I’ve not yet been able to find anything that states they’re capable of properly handling Economy 7.

I’ve added this thread to my subscriptions list though, so I’ll be notified of any further replies. If I manage to find anything else, I’ll reply back here again.