Solved

Geo In Home Display (IHD) lost connection to my L&G smart meter - are they too far apart?

• 18 October 2022
  • 18 replies

• Carbon Cutter****
  • 6 replies

My meters are on the outside of my house with the garage between us. The ' in home display' constantly says ' lost connection '. Is it because its more than 2 metres from the meter or is it faulty? 

icon

Best answer by kevinmcintyre09 25 October 2022, 11:44

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Morning @Ljb67 !

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers.

I think we can help you figure this one out, but we’re going to need some photos of everything first so that we know what you’ve got. Could you pop them in your next reply please?

Thankyou. These

are the usual screens I have. I've tried resetting the device. It may work for an hour or two but then I'm back to these displays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha. Can you show me the meters as well please? There’s some diagnostic tricks we can do right here once I know what you’ve got.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha! Looks like that’s all working fine, but can you tell me what the WAN and HAN lights on the Comms Hub are doing?

Flashing green every few seconds 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sounds good to me then.

We are definitely making progress here! I can see that the IHD has the correct time for the photo you originally uploaded, but as it’s a Geo IHD there’s another trick I can try with you. All of this stuff helps me to figure out what to recommend, so don’t worry!

Please can you go into System Status on the IHD and post a photo of what you see there. If you also then go into each entry on that screen, press the circle button on each one and then post photos of the codes you see as well, it really helps us out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Wow, that’s a bit of a mess then, isn’t it! This is telling me that the IHD thinks there’s no connection at all, but somehow also has the right time which is only possible if it’s getting a signal from the Comms Hub.

Let me see if @kevinmcintyre09 is around. He might know more.

Thankyou!

Userlevel 2

Please can you go into System Status on the IHD and post a photo of what you see there. 

Hi @Ljb67 the status code 26-0 is the network down or lost. From what you described in above it sounds like you have lost the network. When the IHD first looses the network it will re-try for around 30 minutes before saying the network is down. If it then manages to pick up the network again it will show the normal energy screens. Should it loose the network it will go through the process above.

I am assuming it does occasionally pick the smart meter network.

The two meter codes 28-2 and 29-2 can be ignored for now, as the IHD has lost the network.

You should never need to reset the device to get it to connect. Occasionally switching it off and then on again may be needed.

It could be the IHD is at the edge of its range, based on your description above. When it does connect how many bars does it show in the banner?  Range is less about how far from your meters, rather what is between the meters and IHD that may impact the signal. 

The icon is the top-left of the banner bar and looks like a mobile signal strength indicator. If it is down at one, then it is at the edge of its range.

You can try moving the IHD to the meters (you will need 3x AAA batteries), I would expect the IHD to show all the bars.

Let me know how you get on and I can see what else we can do.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi there, yes, if I stand outside next to the meters, it has full bars signal. Inside the house, there is only one bar.

It can be working fine for hours then it loses everything and may not work properly for days. It was on last week for a couple of days then went off.  No matter where i moved it or re connected it, nothing. Today, its back working again but for how long, who knows.

It's never bothered me before but with the current situation,  I would have liked to keep a monitor of my usage on the IHD. I'm trying to just rely on the app instead now.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ljb67,

Sorry for the issues you’re having with your IHD.

It sounds like it’s an issue with the Home Area Network, the signal in the home. But very frustrating especially with what’s going on with energy prices. 

The Online Account and App are a more accurate way of keeping track of your usage as the reads from your smart meters themselves are what we bill you to.

We have a live billing system, so whenever we receive a read from your smart meter your account balance will update accordingly. We have a great guide about this topic here:

I’d advise making sure your meter reading schedule is set to half hourly, this will give you the most accurate information and allow you to get the most out of your account. Here are some similar topics you might find useful:

Hope this helps. 

My IHD has never worked very well. I would say 80% of the time it says it cannot connect to the meter regardless of where I put it and its been like this from day one.

I am currently trying to cut down on my energy usage (aren't we all right,) and this thing not working is becoming a real pain.

Do you think its worth replacing the IHD? What are the chances its the meter that's crap, and if so how would you test that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the same issues but not for the same reason. If I place the meter on the top of the meter I still get connection issues. Hence why I want to know if its possible to check if its the meter or the IHD. If its the IHD I will replace it, but I don't want to waste the money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Can you go into the System Status menu on the IHD, select each element and tell us the Status Codes please? :)

Could you tell me how to do that please? There are only 2 button and they just show me the current balance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Press the Home button on the left to access the menu, then the right arrow to get to System Status, followed by the Circle.

Then use Left, Right and Circle to move around and select one of the elements. Press the return arrow on the far right to go back one screen after you get the code for that element.