Solved

Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?

Show first post

156 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This is a very important question @Middy

I haven't yet heard of any consumer with practical experience of switching Energy Suppliers once they have pre-existing SMETS2 meters.

The reason that the meters are interchangeable between Suppliers isn't so much down to the software which they run, but rather that all SMETS2 meters are connected to DCC's National Smart Meter Network.

In comparison, earlier SMETS1 and other ADM equipment was connected to DCC using the proprietary network arranged between the Supplier and the meter manufacturer. DCC were therefore not in control of the process.

You can read more about SMETS2 meters and the networks on this other Forum Topic.
Can we get an update on the over the air upgrade from SMETS 1 to SMETS 2. I'm currently stuck on the OVO variable rate and every single move I have tried has been rejected due to the smart meters I had installed. I'm hoping things will be easier after the upgrade.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Good point @KS5150. The DCC Announcement stated that there would be three phases of migrating SMETS1 meters to their new National Smart Meter Network, the first of which would occur in May 2019. As I write, it is now June!

I will be visiting OVO next week on Monday 17th, and spending an hour with their "Smart Team"! If we hear nothing more in the next 5 days on this Forum Topic, then we can ask the question at that meeting.

I'll add it to our Question List in just a moment.
Userlevel 4
We don't have a definite date for the remote update, @KS5150, but your meter should not restrict your ability to switch.

It sounds like your meter is on Half Hourly Settlements - which means your meter readings are submitted to the industry every half hour instead of every month/quarter, so the industry can calculate customers usage more accurately.

This is an industry wide change, so your new supplier and USwitch should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Although there are a lot of suppliers who interpret this as a business supply, which is not the case.

The forum will be updated as soon as we have more information on the software upgrade!

See you soon, @Transparent ! ☺
Considering changing to a SMETS2 smart meter. Some of the Forum comments are ancient! What is the current situation and what are the downsides encountered by other users. Help please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Can you please clarify this @tinytess ?

Do you already have a SMETS1 meter?

There are three stages to perform in transferring SMETS1 meters onto the National Smart Meter Network. The first stage has been completed. The "Middle Operating Capability" stage will be executed in September.

The date for the Final migration will be set once the second stage has been verified.

There are three main problems being experienced by a few customers who have had SMETS2 meters installed anew. You can read some of the recent comments here.