Solved

Is there enough space to install a gas smart meter?

• 28 April 2019
  • 9 replies

• Carbon Cutter***
  • 5 replies

7ffd8821-411d-4009-befd-f39732f94c1d.jpg

Hi there,

Recent OVO customer, been a long time since I've been one.

I'd like to have smart meters installed, but would appreciate some advice as to whether we have enough room first, because access to the gas meter is a tad limited due to some building work (so I want to know before I book to avoid charges).

We also have quite an old Electricity meter so I figure I will also ask about clearance/room there as well while I'm here

First up, Gas Meter (note, I'll have moved all our stuff out the way!):

548fc054-b672-46f3-b9e6-58d296c6e5a6.jpg

Gap is 40cm wide so a bit tight. Would rather not have to smash up the under-stairs cupboard right now.

Secondly, electricity meter:

08877382-2f1d-4e4a-86e4-d7ea3d1a56a5.jpg

This is our electricity meter box. Its a 1930s house so upstairs landing is the location. As you can see, space between the electricity meter and the DNO fuse is not huge 17cm but perhaps its enough?

Any advice most welcome, rather than me booking an appointment and finding out the hard way!

icon

Best answer by Transparent 29 April 2019, 11:15

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great question to ask about the space required to upgrade to one of our smart meters.

We’re now installing Aclara S2 electricity meter and Flonidan S2 gas meters with the following dimensions:

​​​​​​Hopefully these will fit snugly in your current meter boxes. If so you can go ahead and make the smart meter appointment here.

If the engineer is unable to fit the meters, don’t worry there won’t be any charges for an aborted appointment. They may advise you need to contact your DNO to replace the meter box if it’s not able to fit in the current location.

Hope this is helpful and you’ll be enjoying the benefits of going smart soon!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

British Gas cancelled the appointment to fit smart meters because they have not o afoot of clear space around them.

They refused a pre-installation survey.

Second try: the installation was cancelled because they did not have any meters.

Third try: I had to give an alternative location or fit a (meter) box. Meter boxes were introduced in the 70’s and used continually ever since.

Do I take this up with Ofgen, as BG make it very clear that it’s my problem.

To rub salt into the would, my neighbour had Siemens out to install smart meters at his house, a couple of weeks ago.

All comments will be appieciated

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @robpattison ,

As far as I can tell, there should be enough space for a gas meter in the existing location, but I’m not so sure about the electric as that meter box is rather… Compact…

I’d probably suggest looking at whether a larger meter box for the electric might help, but I also think that a second opinion from an actual engineer might help. Luckily, I happen to know one (rather convenient, right?)!

Let me see what @Lukepeniket_OVO thinks. He’s not always available, but if he gets a chance he’ll try to stop by. :)

I recon an Alcara will fit with 30mm+ free space either side. 

Even the next size meter box would not satisfy BG’s demands of a foot on either side

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can definitely say that a Three-Phase Meter won’t fit, smart or not.

However, OVO did let me visit their Smart Meter lab a couple of weeks ago and I got to see a whole bunch of different smart meters. An Aclara isn’t much wider than whatever that current one is and I’ve known engineers like Luke be able to squeeze both Aclara electric meters and Flonidan gas meters into fairly tight spaces.

I think the BG engineer was just being fussy. You can’t possibly have a foot either side of the meter in a meter box and I know of literally thousands of properties where the electric and gas meter are side by side in one form or another.

Engineer being fussy? I haven’t got beyond the call centre yet. It’s these little H…,  thats calling the shots. I have to do what the say, or else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh… Now I see where the problems lie.

Tell you what, next time you talk to them, it might be useful to tell them that a forum volunteer who helps out at a competing/rival supplier - and has never even worked in the energy industry himself - has already figured out the solution and that it is likely possible to upgrade both meters. And that if they refuse to do the job, you’ll leave BG completely.

I don’t like to plug OVO too hard, but if you did want to switch over, you can use https://switch.ovoenergy.com - but only if you want to!

Thank you for your reply;

I am considering switching, I am tired of dealing with these idiots.

I didn’t mention that way back in the 1970’s I was a Test & Meter Inspector with the old North Eastern Electricity Board, so do have knowledge of meter installations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. We’ll be here if you need us. Just need to let you know that the forum volunteers are taking a break over Christmas, including myself. We’ll try to be around, but we’d like to apologise in advance for any slow replies!

And wow, you do have a long history!