TIPS

What's the biggest impact changes I can make to my usage to help me hit my Power Move target?

What's the biggest impact changes I can make to my usage to help me hit my Power Move target?

Show first post

136 replies

We have worked very hard to use only lights and make the odd cup of tea during the peak hours. I am not happy that we did not qualify for this month. How are others managing to do this? Has anyone actually achieved this target?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Has anyone actually achieved this target?

Yes, thousands.

I wonder if the forum mods could find out just (a) how many are participating in this quarter’s challenge, and (b) how many of them achieved one or other of the targets in January. 

Those of us who took part in the autumn challenge were told that the accumulated shift (energy that might otherwise have been used in the 4-7 PM period) amounted to 570MWh, but not how many customers were involved.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @SiSi, can I ask what your total peak hours electricity usage for the month was, as a percentage of your total electricity weekday usage?

You understand that I’m not enquiring what your actual total kWh (“units”) usage was for either peak hours or for weekday usage, but rather the proportion of one to t’other, which is how Power Move is calculated.

If you’re only using lights and the occasional cuppa during peak hours, I admire your fortitude! Mind you, the odd cuppa can be hard on electricity consumption…and it also depends on what your usage is on weekdays outside that key 4 - 7 segment. 

As @Firedog says, loads of folk do attain the target and there are plenty on here who’re delighted to offer suggestions and ideas…don’t give up yet!  And of course, Power Move is not practical for everyone, but it sounds to me as though you’ve got your Peak Hours consumption well down….

Userlevel 7

Has anyone actually achieved this target?

Yes, thousands.

I wonder if the forum mods could find out just (a) how many are participating in this quarter’s challenge, and (b) how many of them achieved one or other of the targets in January. 

Those of us who took part in the autumn challenge were told that the accumulated shift (energy that might otherwise have been used in the 4-7 PM period) amounted to 570MWh, but not how many customers were involved.

I’ll ask the question 🙂

So every month I don’t hit target for discounts as I only have tv and freezer fridge on and everything else is off it is impossible to reduce my usage!!! Big con 

Userlevel 4

So every month I don’t hit target for discounts as I only have tv and freezer fridge on and everything else is off it is impossible to reduce my usage!!! Big con 

It isn't a con it just a scheme that isnt suitable for everyone. If you are a low user then it probably isn't for you. If you are a average to higher user you just need to make sure you use high usage appliances during the week away from the 4-7 period.

No scheme will suit all, there are many different companies offering different schemes that might be better for some.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

As many people have said on here under the many Power Move conversations it is about MOVING your usage from the peak period, 4pm-7pm, to another time during a weekday. It’s not a con as I understand what is required and I’ve managed to reduce my usage during the peak to about 7-8% for every month since September last year by moving my heavy usage OUTSIDE of the weekday peak to another time on a weekday. Some people try moving their heavy usage to the weekend but this doesn’t help. Some people don’t have any heavy usage to move and for that reason it could be impossible for them to achieve the target in any practical way.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It's not a con.

Some people don't ever use much energy so don't have the opportunity to move it. In some ways they are lucky.

Others like me use quite a bit of power all the time, but the peak time for others is not my peak time so I also do not have the opportunity to move it unless I start switching critical stuff off, and I'm not doing that.

Some things in life are not fair. Like Solar Power, it's free when the sun is out, but not at night. If you only use electricity at night then solar power is not for you. Unless you have a battery to store it  😀

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@TonyC I agree with a couple of comments. Solar power can make it more difficult to achieve the Power Move target as it supplies power mainly out of the peak thereby making the in-peak usage look correspondingly larger. A battery, on the other hand, can supply power in the peak period and help you meet the target that way.

Even better you could charge the battery out of peak (cloudy days or during the winter) to use in-peak because that helps you both ways to meet the target. In that sense it would be doing exactly what the Grid is trying to achieve; storing energy outside the peak to use in the peak.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If you are really that mithered by this, one thing you could do is use a plug in timer that turns off the fridge and freezer at 16:00 and turns them back on at 19:00. If you are away and there is nothing else running, then the power consumption will drop to zero for the three hours which means it has to be at least 10% for that period when compared with the rest of the day. If you are not there and the fridge and freezer doors are shut, then the heat gain on the fridge and freezer will be insignificant. If you use some thing like a Tapo plug in unit which measures consumption and can be used as a timed unit. You can see what’s going on and do it remotely. It does mean that you will have to leave your internet router on, but that will consume very little. It’s really a question of how much saving £15 a month is worth to you in terms of effort.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Interesting point concerning the fridge. I wonder if it really makes any difference whether it's on or off for the 3 hours. If it's off then will it use up any energy saved when its turned back on again, or more likely, if it's left on but the door not opened, then it shouldn't need to switch itself on during the three hours. Same logic for a freezer. During power cuts my fridge and freezer stay cold for hours, but they are good ones (Neff).

One day I might experiment with my plug in power monitor. But at my age, life is too short.

I do wish people would read and understand what Power move is about before rushing into print and,quite frankly, looking a bit silly. As does switching off a freezer for 3 hours when it's unlikely to use power anyway!!

We really tried to get our usage down between 4 and 7 but have always been just outside the % required. We have a couple from Ukraine who live in our annexe so we can't tell how much they are using. Also we have solar panels which generate most of the power we use in the morning so have now given up. We always do our washing either in the morning or overnight (economy 7) and have stopped using the oven between 4 and 7. Not much else we could do.

Userlevel 7

It is a good point to make about the fridge/freezer

Your fridge/freezer may use up to 100 Watts when it's running- but it isn't running constantly.

How many minutes in each hour does it actually run? That depends on what's in there, what the room temperature is, how often you open the door, etc.

Mine is a very old one and uses 95W when it kicks in, it runs for about 10 minutes each hour if I'm not opening the door (and makes a noise about it while running, did I mention it's pretty old?) 0.095×10/60 = 0.016 kWh.

A newer one should use even less than that.

Userlevel 7
Badge

A comment about lighter evenings and warmer spring days:

1. This month (May), I can just about manage without switching any lights on at all until 9PM. And I’ve not missed not switching the television on until 10PM. This whittles away at my peak-hour usage.
  2. On the minus side, warmer days and nights have meant that two changes in behaviour militate against meeting the PM target:

1. I’ve managed without switching on the 2kW fan heater to defrost the bathroom before having a shower. It’s not as comfortable as I’d like yet,

… but this makes a big dent in my offpeak usage.

2. For the first time this year, I’ve tried getting into bed without having used the electric blanket to pre-condition it. The shock soon wears off, but again it cuts down my offpeak consumption.

These measures are good for my monthly bill, but they mean I have to try a bit harder to be sure of staying under the ceiling. My April result was 5.86%; so far this month, it’s crept up to 6.61% having peaked at 7.73%.

Moral: make sure that spring/summer reductions in offpeak (and therefore total) usage don’t increase the peak/total ratio too much.  

Badge +1

How do I reduce my usage between 6 and 9pm - any ideas? I already put the dishwasher, washing machine and immersion heater on overnight, and have no tumble drier. I have a small portable solar panel that charges battery packs, and in the summer that takes care of my phone, iPad, kindle, small fan, and bedside light. I can’t do anything about the fridge, freezer or router - they stay on. Between 6 and 9 I make my dinner and a cup of tea, and some nights I watch tv. So what am I meant to give up to reduce my carbon footprint even more? Live on salads and sandwiches? Never watch tv? Go without tea?

Userlevel 4
Badge

First thing power move ISN'T about reducing your carbon foot print or reducing your consumption. The clue is in the name it's all about moving consumption from the peak time, ie 6-9 to another time. If you have a relatively low but constant usage you'll find it VERY difficult to meet the targets. If this is you then I wouldn't even bother trying just to save yourself a max of £10 a month

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

No idea, but I get it every month. 

Userlevel 2

Unless you can alter your lifestyle and cook dinner earlier there’s not much you can do - and even that might not be sufficient.  Maybe you should just accept that you are already doing all you can to do to save carbon and this scheme is not for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sounds as if you should already be meeting the moving target and your 6 to 9 pm be a very small % of your overall consumption.

The only way I can do it without massive inconvenience is by timing the charging of my plug-in hybrid car, as our main meal is at 7pm and we do all our cooking on electricity.

The inclusion of the weekends in the total weekly consumption means I can charge the car on Sundays instead of waiting until the early hours of Monday morning, and we no longer have to defer clothes- and dish-washing tumble-drying etc on Saturdays and Sundays to weekdays.

Michael

Userlevel 7

If you are cooking on electricity then the biggest impact you can make is to move that out of the peak hours, and don’t use the kettle.

Salad and sandwiches is one way, but could get a bit monotonous.

I’ll often cook just before peak, say between 5 and 6, and eat when it’s ready.
I’ll also often cook earlier, and then just microwave to reheat when i want to eat between 6-9.
5 or so minutes of microwave use to reheat things that have already been cooked earlier isn’t a lot.
One-pot dishes like stews, casseroles, pasta or rice dishes are all ideal for that, but plated meals can be done that way too.
Don’t microwave frozen meals during peak, that takes longer and uses more energy.

If you want to try something a bit different look up ‘Thermos Cooking’.
You can cook rice, pasta, etc. in a thermos flask of boiling water rather than simmering it on the hob.
I hardly ever cook them any other way now. I find that for rice in particular it’s the best way of cooking it, although pasta can tend to stick together so shake the flask now and again.
(Generally I’ll do it earlier and then microwave for a couple of minutes if needed later).

See this post and the one following it for my way of doing thermos Spaghetti and mini-meatballs in tomato sauce, I’m planning on doing it for my tea today:

Power Move friendly Spaghetti and Meatballs

And while on boiling water - avoid using an electric kettle during peak hours.
Many people taking part in Power Move have got into the habit of filling a thermos with boiling water before the peak hours and using that to make cuppa’s during peak instead of the kettle.

Like you the fridge/freezer, router, etc stay on.
You might want to check how much power your TV takes, some can be greedy.
I’ll generally have my laptop on (only 15 watts plugged in, or 0 if on battery) and can watch films, TV, etc on that if I want to.

Userlevel 7
Badge

First thing power move ISN'T about reducing your carbon foot print or reducing your consumption. 

That’s not strictly true. Sure, you can reduce your carbon footprint by using less electricity overall - but you can also reduce it by making changes to when you use it. Because most people in this country make tea, cook dinner and watch TV between 6 PM and 9 PM, the national demand for power is highest. This means that the electricity generators have to use more fossil fuels (primarily gas and sometimes even coal) in this period, so pumping up the carbon emissions. By reducing demand in this period and shifting it to earlier or later in the day, the amount of fossil fuels needed is also reduced and along with it our collective carbon footprint.

Between 6 and 9 I make my dinner and a cup of tea, and some nights I watch tv. 

There you have it. Cooking (with electricity) and boiling the kettle use lots of energy. The TV not so much, but a significant amount nonetheless, depending on how big it is and how old it is - newer ones consume in general a lot less than older ones. 

If you can’t bear to do without a hot meal in this peak period, you could prepare it earlier and heat it up in the microwave (which uses a lot less energy than the electric stove) when your stomach tells you. If you could think of drinking instant coffee instead of tea, you could fill a thermos flask with boiling water before 6 - it will still be plenty hot enough two or three hours later. And you may be surprised to discover what you don’t really miss by not being glued to the telly for those three hours. 

Userlevel 2

A lot depends on why you are trying to succeed with Power Move.  If you are trying to reduce your bill for financial reasons there might be merit in living on salad and soup from a thermos flask but if you are simply trying to reduce your carbon footprint at peak hours then that all seems to be a bit OTT.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@JoCarroll It's more about reducing peak demand rather than carbon footprint. If the wind is blowing there is plenty of green energy on the grid.

As a light user it is extraordinarily difficult to meet the target but also as a light user £10 will be a significant percentage of your bill. Perhaps the best advice is to reduce any non-essential use during the peak and see if you can meet the target.

Peter