Skip to main content

Power Move is now live in the OVO app/Beyond. If you already have consented to HHR before, when you go back to the home screen after providing consent you should see the Power Move tab again with "Join Now", if you click on this, you'll be able to complete sign up. If this is your first time providing consent, you will be emailed once the meter settings have been updated. Please note, you will need to have the most recent updated version of the app, if you're on an older version you may not be able to see Power Move so please make sure you update your app to the new version.

Hi everyone,

Throughout 2024 so far customers have saved over £1.3 million by shifting their energy and making greener choices with Power Move.

Ahead of the next challenge starting October 1, we have a few changes we wanted to let you know about.

Power Move will now be exclusive to Beyond. 

If you want to take part in the next, and future Power Move challenges, you'll need to join each challenge when it opens in Beyond. Beyond is our free Energy Savings Account - you can read more about Beyond here.

To unlock Beyond, you’ll need to download the OVO app, have a smart meter and pay by Direct Debit. 

You won’t be able to opt in or see the new challenge details in the Power Move section on your online account. 

We also won’t be auto-enrolling current Power Move customers onto the new challenge, but will be contacting customers when the new challenge is available to opt in.

Changes to eligibility 

To take part you will need to have a single-rate meter, pay by Direct Debit, and have a smart meter. Multi-rate meters, like those used for Economy 7 or Economy 10, can’t be used for Power Move from October 1.

We're looking at how we can include more customers in the future.

Updates via the OVO app

You’ll soon be able to see your progress through the app. When the new challenge is live, sign in to your account and select 'Power Move' on the home screen.

Don’t have the OVO app? Download it from the App Store or Google Play Store.

New tiers and rewards

We’ve made the monthly peak usage targets easier for the next challenge, and increased the rewards. Peak times for this challenge will be 4pm-7pm and the rewards are:

• 12.00% to 10.01% = £3
  • 10.00% to 8.01% = £6
  • 8.00% or less = £12

Thanks

The OVO team

Oh no 😭 I get the power move nearly every month and it helps so much but I'm on Economy 7 😭

@lousimps Likewise. I’m on E7 and kept on getting emails to join which I was surprised about because I didn't think an E7 account qualified but I joined and was accepted but now told I don't qualify from October which is disappointing but hopefully be able to rejoin later on.

I supose that it’s one way of promoting the Beyond app, and getting more customers to download it.

TBH as I live in a housing association property, (so no solar panels and boilers and repairs are already taken care of), can’t drive for medical reasons, and live miles from the OVO arenas, there isn’t a lot in Beyond that has been of interest to me.
But it looks like I’ll now have to get it anyway if I want to continue with Power Move.

PS. In case anyone else noticed the ommision, I’ve already asked backstage for the above announcement to have clarification added about weekend useage in this new challenge.

Hey @lousimps,

I’m sorry that this change will affect you! The team are looking at how to include E7/E10 customers in the future and any changes again will be published as an article here on the Forum. Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you back to Power Move soon! 

@Peter E I know we’ve had a chat about this through private message and thought I would add a public response regarding any emails that members may receive. If anyone else has received any emails about the new challenge starting before today and are on either E7/E10 please disregard these as you’ll not be eligible at this time. 

@Nukecad It’s nice to see that our offers are all going to be in the one area so it should make customers journeys easier than before. Beyond has exceeded our expectations with how many customers have signed up so far. We’re adding more and more offers to the Beyond app from local discounts to bigger offers on things like Solar etc (I know you said this doesn’t impact you but just added for reference). Hopefully we’ll add more things along the journey that you can take advantage of!

@Chris_OVO Has clarified that the new Winter Power move includes weekends as being all off peak (same as the current challenge).

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/powermove-challenge/d46897ef-f7c0-4429-af53-0e8c3532d092

Time slot

You’ll need to shift your energy use out of peak times (4pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday) to reach the monthly target levels. The energy you use on weekends will be included in the challenge. That means the monthly targets will look a little tougher. But it’ll be easier to lower the energy you use at peak times - because weekends count as off-peak for this challenge.

@Chris_OVO Has clarified that the new Winter Power move includes weekends as being all off peak (same as the current challenge).

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/powermove-challenge/d46897ef-f7c0-4429-af53-0e8c3532d092

Time slot

You’ll need to shift your energy use out of peak times (4pm to 7pm, Monday to Friday) to reach the monthly target levels. The energy you use on weekends will be included in the challenge. That means the monthly targets will look a little tougher. But it’ll be easier to lower the energy you use at peak times - because weekends count as off-peak for this challenge.

Sorry everyone I should have added this on the thread but I can confirm the times and peak/offpeak status as above. Thank you to @Nukecad for noticing this and adding it to the thread for everyone 🙂

Hey @lousimps,

I’m sorry that this change will affect you! The team are looking at how to include E7/E10 customers in the future and any changes again will be published as an article here on the Forum. Hopefully we’ll be able to welcome you back to Power Move soon! 

@Peter E I know we’ve had a chat about this through private message and thought I would add a public response regarding any emails that members may receive. If anyone else has received any emails about the new challenge starting before today and are on either E7/E10 please disregard these as you’ll not be eligible at this time. 

@Nukecad It’s nice to see that our offers are all going to be in the one area so it should make customers journeys easier than before. Beyond has exceeded our expectations with how many customers have signed up so far. We’re adding more and more offers to the Beyond app from local discounts to bigger offers on things like Solar etc (I know you said this doesn’t impact you but just added for reference). Hopefully we’ll add more things along the journey that you can take advantage of!

How come I could do it previously and can't now? What's changed?

It’s possible that Power Move didn’t play well with E7/E10 setups. I suspect it’ll return in the future once the bugs are ironed out.

Four months ago, I reported an apparent error in Power Move which meant that I was summarily discharged from the scheme. @Emmanuelle_OVO did her thing and got an admission from the PM team: “We know this is a live issue impacting some of our customers. We're working on a resolution to enable you to re-sign up again and we'll let those impacted know once this has been rectified.”

Sadly, I have to say that (a) no resolution has been forthcoming, (b) nothing has been rectified, and consequently (c) there has been nothing but silence from them. Living in hope, I adhered to the terms of the challenge and have been very careful to keep my peak-period usage below the threshold for maximum reward ever since.  

The error I’m seeing now when I try to sign up has changed in the past few days. It used to say notSmartMeter (I’ve had a smart meter since March 2017). Now it says invalidMeterReadFrequency (my reading frequency has been set to half-hourly from the beginning, re-asserted as soon as the option page was released a few days ago). 

Someone’s not being completely honest here ...

It’s possible that Power Move didn’t play well with E7/E10 setups. I suspect it’ll return in the future once the bugs are ironed out.

Out of ignorance I'm not sure how E7/E10 could be an issue. Simplistically (well inside my head) the power usage percentage is calculated in exactly the same way as a single rate and it would work in the same spreadsheet. The only complexity is calculating the cost using two (or more) different rates but that is not part of PM.

However, logically there may be an issue that if you are already getting a discount on your cheap rate why should you get a second discount when you will almost certainly get the reward for meeting the PM percentage as your heavy usage has to be non peak by definition. That is why I thought E7/E10 users would not be eligible.

Any thoughts?

I must confess I too am confused.

I have been taking part in the Power Move Challenge since September 2023 and have benefitted most months.

So I am on an E7 tariff, and my meter supports dual rate. Not by choice, but because the house was fitted with a dual rate meter. Come the swap to a smart meter they changed like for like. I would actually pay slightly less if I was on a single rate tariff. When I was with British Gas they happily swapped me to a single rate tariff. When I moved back to OVO, they put me back onto E7 (I assume because the meter is dual rate).

There seems to be an assumption that people on E7 tariffs are heavy users off-peak. From personal experience this isn't so, just a hangover from when the house was built 35 years ago.

Four months ago, I reported an apparent error in Power Move which meant that I was summarily discharged from the scheme. @Emmanuelle_OVO did her thing and got an admission from the PM team: “We know this is a live issue impacting some of our customers. We're working on a resolution to enable you to re-sign up again and we'll let those impacted know once this has been rectified.”

Sadly, I have to say that (a) no resolution has been forthcoming, (b) nothing has been rectified, and consequently (c) there has been nothing but silence from them. Living in hope, I adhered to the terms of the challenge and have been very careful to keep my peak-period usage below the threshold for maximum reward ever since.  

The error I’m seeing now when I try to sign up has changed in the past few days. It used to say notSmartMeter (I’ve had a smart meter since March 2017). Now it says invalidMeterReadFrequency (my reading frequency has been set to half-hourly from the beginning, re-asserted as soon as the option page was released a few days ago). 

Someone’s not being completely honest here ...

Hey @Firedog

I heard that this is still an ongoing issue, and I’m sorry it’s still affecting you. They’re still working on solving what’s blocking it, and as soon as we know more and have a solution, the plan is to notify the affected customers.

Hey @BeePee,

So I am on an E7 tariff, and my meter supports dual rate. Not by choice, but because the house was fitted with a dual rate meter. Come the swap to a smart meter they changed like for like. I would actually pay slightly less if I was on a single rate tariff. When I was with British Gas they happily swapped me to a single rate tariff. When I moved back to OVO, they put me back onto E7 (I assume because the meter is dual rate).

There seems to be an assumption that people on E7 tariffs are heavy users off-peak. From personal experience this isn't so, just a hangover from when the house was built 35 years ago.

If you believe that you’d benefit from a single rate meter, then it’d be worth chatting with our Support Team to ask if this is something they could support you with. I’m sorry that you’ll not be able to participate in this challenge. The team is working hard to include E7/E10 customers in future challenges. 

Well to say I'm peed off is an understatement. Why is my meter suddenly not supported after all these years of doing Power Move. Maybe it's because I hit the top target every month and it's costing OVO to much money. And why does it say we are looking at how we can include meters like yours in the future when Ovo have been up to now anyway the £10 credit really helps me out.

All the incentives to stay with OVO are now gone I really wish I hadn't signed up for the Fixed deal now.

Same here. They wouldn't me an offer me a fixed plan because of Economy 10 and now stopped access to Power Move. 

Can't see much worth in staying with them.

@sankarram90 I agree I'm so angry I just can't understand why multi rate meters are no longer included after all this time.

It's been one thing after another lately with Ovo from trying to get my £25  Tesco Points and now this I've really had enough. 

Me too - my Economy 7 meter no longer qualifies. I hope they sort something for the hundreds of us (probably much more than hundreds) now excluded, or a lot of us will be looking for better deals elsewhere.

@JoCarroll  so when does the Winter Power Move Start ?

Quite reasonably Ovo aims for maximum profit, which includes being considered a ‘green’ company these days.

Power Move is all about profit. Ovo will make more profit buying and selling energy at non-peak times. It incentivises customers to use more energy at off-peak times, thus increases profits. That also demonstrates that it is a ‘green’ company, both objectives at very little company cost.  Two birds with one objective, little cost and effort.

@sankarram90 sorry to ask again but what month does the winter power move start please 

Why have I now been excluded from the power move event due to having a dual rate meter?

I have gone to great lengths to meet the targets & been pleased to get the rewards.

I have just signed up for the 2 Yr fixed rate & now ovo change the goalposts.

It seems unfair & not in the spirit of the scheme to exclud me when I was actively involved.

Yours Sincerely 

Vamatex 

Oh, why haven’t we been sent an email about this? I just stumbled upon this because I was notified about another thread. 

I am already a Beyond member and have the app. I can’t see anywhere to sign up to the new challenge. It’s only a week a way…

@sankarram90 I agree I'm so angry I just can't understand why multi rate meters are no longer included after all this time.

It's been one thing after another lately with Ovo from trying to get my £25  Tesco Points and now this I've really had enough. 

What £25 Tesco points?  I've not heard of it !!!

Mike

@Mike Hansen This was way back in July, speaking to other members on here they have already received theirs but I still haven't.

The emails are going out all throughout this week - but they can’t all be sent at once as it’d overload the infrastructure used to send them out. It’s a complicated system, but OVO has to stay within certain speed/rate limits to avoid getting blocked.

The reason you haven’t received one yet is most probably because you’re not in one of the batches that has gone out yet. Keep an eye on the app and your emails - you’ll see it soon.