Solved

Is the start of the spring challenge 1st of April correct?

Userlevel 1

The spring challenge is advertised as beginning on 1 April. This is a bank holiday. Is it included, or is this an oversight - or an April Fool?

chris

icon

Best answer by waltyboy 2 April 2024, 15:39

View original

25 replies

Started today. Bank holiday also included.

Userlevel 1

Do we know why this is different from other challenges? And what about the May and spring bank holidays? 

chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Starts today (1st April) only because it runs from 1st April to 30th June inclusive, but as always Power Move calculations will exclude Bank Holidays, so do not include 1st April, 6th May, and 27th May, as well as all weekends of course, in Power Move calculations. 30th June is a Sunday, not included in Power Move calculations, but that’s when the current Power Move incentive ends: confusingly but logically enough, Spring Power Move incentive dates start and finishe on “non-Power Move” days! 

Userlevel 7

Do we know why this is different from other challenges?

The target ‘Peak hours’ have changed - They are now 6pm to 9pm.(They were 4pm to 7pm).

The maximum reward you can ‘earn’ each month is now £10.

All bank holidays and weekends are still excluded.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. I did know about the time changes - although don’t much like them. My question was really about today being a bank holiday. Im happy with Waltyboys answer. Which I thought must be the case. 

chris

Userlevel 1

Do we know why this is different from other challenges? And what about the May and spring bank holidays? 

chris

Bank holidays are counted just like any other day !!!

Userlevel 1

Bank holidays are counted just like any other day!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Sorry, that’s not true: OVO Energy | Power Move FAQs 

Userlevel 1

I always thought is was.  Oh well, Let's just say that I treat EVERYDAY as a regular day !!!  😁

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Cheers @chrispow1…it’s good to check with each other, all the best

Userlevel 1

Agreed. Thanks for the clarification!

Userlevel 3

No it’s not April fool it is right there is a new challenge coming it was starting today. Up until June the 30 th. We will have to wait and see.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi, 

Sorry, that’s not true: OVO Energy | Power Move FAQs 

@Firedog is correct on this one Bank Holidays aren’t included in the Power Move Calculations. Sections 3 & 12 cover any exemptions to the Power Move Challenge for those who are taking part. 

For anyone else reading who isn’t taking part, you can find more information and sign up here

I hope this clears it up and best of luck! 😊

Userlevel 1

Thanks for clarifying that. I did believe that the bank holiday would not be included - as did plenty of others. Stating that it started on 1st April without any clarification was a bit confusing. It may be in the conditions, as stated, but who reads them every time!!

chris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The challenges always start on the 1st of the month - that’s just how it’s set up. However, if the 1st of any month falls on a Weekend (Sat/Sun), Bank Holiday or any other blacklisted day, it gets bumped back to the next active day.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes indeed, and the Spring Power Move finishes on 30th June, which, as stated in an earlier post, falls on a Sunday this year.  Which, unlike the start date, causes no confusion at all…must be just the April Fool thing, especially falling on a BH?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Probably, but then again… The price cap changed on April Fools Day and no-one complained about that…

Userlevel 1

Haha! Cd be. Probably more the bank holiday, though. It only dawned on me at about midday on Good Friday that it was a bank holiday, hence no power move 🤗. 

chris

Userlevel 3

Well why do they say that for. that bank holidays are included gets very confusing l would say. anyway wait and see hopefully l might do well with this challenge but who knows. didn’t in the last one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Aye @chrispow1 I know exactly what you mean, it is easy to miss the bank holidays for Power Move…but at least that’s it for BH now except for  those two Mondays yet to come  in May (6th and 27th).

Did you miss out by much in the last Power Move @JNeve? Better luck this time..but remember it’s 6PM - 9PM this time around, and a lower maximum payout of £10 per month. Actually, forgetting about BH wouldn’t really impact much on your Power Move incentive %, as BH aren’t actually included in the calculations, just a shame to do washing or cooking or whatever on a BH that could have been done/prepared on a weekday.  Better to forget about a BH than forget about a weekday!  Did you get into the habit of checking your daily weekday half-hourly usage in your OVO account pages last time? If you do that every day or every few days it helps keep track of your peak hours usage before getting that mid-month email from OVO. 

Lower electricity demand during peak hours will help, I think, now that we’re heading into warmer lighter evenings (hopefully!), so just one or two “heavy” tasks shifted into suitable weekday times from either the weekends (or BH!!) or from the peak hour slots themselves should make a big difference to that crucial % score. 

All the best, let us know how you go over the rest of this week, as that’ll indicate how the month is likely to go for you.  Ten pounds for the month might not sound a lot to some, but to my way of thinking it’s roughly 30 free kWh of electricity (or 100 kWh of gas)…

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As mentioned many times, Bank Holidays are fully blacklisted and excluded. The challenge still has to “start” on the 1st of the month anyway for technical reasons.

This has been posted just about everywhere OVO controls.

Userlevel 3

Well l didn’t miss out but never achieved the monthly ones of the challenge move. sometimes l achieved the hour ones they were easier at times. maybe l might be lucky this time round.

Userlevel 3

Sometimes it doesn’t make sense. can be confusing if one reads it . l wonder if we are going to get any events like the hour ones when you save by not using any appliances. It’s quite good that they have changed the times from 6 to 9.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

National Grid ESO tends to pause the DFS Scheme that Power Move Plus runs on at this time of year, as it’s not needed as badly. It’ll probably return later this year though.

Userlevel 3

Just have to wait and see. it could be who knows when it not so cold and sun is out don’t have to put on heating always go on later if gets cooler which is handy. maybe they don’t class bank holidays as well in the challenge.