Solved

Air Soure Heat Pump external pipework positioning

I bought my house 5 years ago.  There seem to be issues with the installation.  First there was no insulation on the external pipework.  Now I’ve been told (by a different company) that the pipes attached to the unit should not be lying on the ground (half buried) but raised and clipped to the wall.  It’s going to cost a bit of money and I’d like to know if this gentleman is correct with his observations.

Any comments appreciated.

icon

Best answer by juliamc 24 May 2023, 19:07

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You might want to look on the Smart Home part of the forum @elisabethz59 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-smart-home-138

there are several users with ASHP’s 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you post some photos of the outdoor unit and the pipe work please. It would be useful to know if it’s heating your house and hot water adequately and what the costs are like. Do you know what COP (coefficient of performance) it’s getting? The pipe work definitely does need insulation, if your system is a monobloc (ie the pipes contain the same water that goes around your radiators or ufh) it should be 25mm uv protected and waterproofed, eg within trunking. It could be buried underground but would need the appropriate insulation for that situation. Do you have the details of the original installer?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have a large air source heat pump a Grant which was fitted not by a heating enginerr but a plumber. We had to move the pipes upward and insulate them. We have the pump serviced every year, I would advise you get an installer qualifies for fitting your make of heat pump to give it an annual service and check it over.

I am now on the 3rd ‘qualified’ installer, got him from Check a Trade.  Yes I service mine every year too.

As you can see the pipes are on the ground, one so poorly placed that it’s impossible to insulate it in its current location.

Another photo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You need someone who knows what they’re doing. That insulation is rubbish. Go on the Heat Geek website https://www.heatgeek.com/find-a-heat-geek/

with any luck there’ll be someone in your area who has done proper training and can take on your system. I’m nothing to do with heat geek btw, I’m just a heat pump owner who’s read around the subject, there’s a lot of stuff online if you want to investigate further. 
Also please share how you’re getting on with the heat pump since you moved in. They are great, but not always installed properly. Things can be improved though !

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Leave check a trade alone, it’s for losers who are not being recommended by their customers. You need a heating engineer not an installer, that’s the type of work you are trying to get their work put right. A plumber can call himself an installer, but a qualified heating engineer is a different kettle of fish.

Find the make of the unit and ask the manufacturers for a local engineer trained by them, get a survey and service done.

From my experience that is the only way unless you have a good friend who has had similer work done and are happy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I agree @Nick Challacombe checkatrade is the wrong place to find an ashp engineer. What make is your heat pump @elisabethz59 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s a Samsung

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Have you got a heat geek nearby @elisabethz59 ? 

I will have a look, thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which part of the country are you in? I use a fantastic company for my heat pump servicing and they've upgraded some of my insulation. They're in Dorking.

Suffolk

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There is a fantastic firm in Suffolk called Enietherm 

I had my system installed in a new build 5 years ago by a plumber the builder used. It was never right. I eventually found this firm through the manufacturer and the builder paid for all the extensive remedial work. I then installed at a later date 24 solar panels, they worked well but again by a solar panel installer, I then bought an Givenergy Battery and Invertor this went wrong and guess what I ‘phoned Enietherm and between him and GivEnergy  they fixed everything and I am now about to install another 9.25Kwh battery.

I have no connection with Enietherm only as a completely grateful and satisfied customer. I wished I had found them earlier. They fit all makes. 

Details : Enietherm Ltd, Lakenheath, Suffolk IP27 9ES. Proprietor Chris King,

Phone 07837 369787  web siteenietherm.com  email admin@enietherm.com

Lovely chap, 

Thank you.  I’ll see if they want to come here as I’m 40 miles away.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

On his web site he says he works all over Suffolk and parts of Norfolk,  He came to me from a job in Sudbury.

Thank you, I’ve sent them an email.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Glad to help, I hope he sorts you out.