Solved

Charge Anytime direct to vehicle not compatible with VW electric vehicles?

• 9 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m new to EVs and looking to switch energy suppliers. We’ve just purchased a used VW e-Golf. My wife uses it and only does a maximum of twenty miles a day which we’ve worked out we can easily replenish in just a few hours. across the granny cable.

With this in mind we were looking to switch to the Ovo anytime tariff. However on checking the vehicle compatibility every VW group vehicle seems to be compatible except VW vehicles themselves. Another Facebook page seems to indicate that as long as the car connects to the web and the smart meters can be read at thirty minute intervals, just because it’s not listed shouldn’t be a problem. I did ask Ovo for clarification but I just got sent the link I already have to check the list. 
Anyone got an e-Golf using this tariff over a standard three pin granny cable who can shed some light on this? For some reason I’m not convinced the agents at Ovo have a clue.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 10 March 2023, 12:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO:

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to broaden eligibility of this product so if your technology isn’t currently on this list keep an eye on our page for updates! 

Hi @Davewn2 and welcome to the world of EVs!

Good to hear you’re looking into cheaper EV charging. All compatible makes and models, as well as compatible smart chargers for Charge Anytime are specified here. We’re looking at unlocking more as fast as possible, working with those companies and their own capabilities. 

Badge

I’ve read that but still can’t understand why a Seat Leon is compatible yet a VW e- golf isn’t compatible when they both are the same technology.