Solved

I need to have the previous tenant's debt removed from the meter so I can top up

• 22 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have inherited a property from where the previous tenant (life-renter) died and I fell heir to it via my fathers will. The property has a PAYG meter served via OVO and had a current debt owed balance of £197.00 when I took over the property. I spoke with OVO and set-up my own OVO account in my name and was assured that the previous tenants debt was not something I should worry about as the account balance would be set to zero at the point of me setting up my account. I was told I was not responsible for the previous occupiers debt.

In order for this to happen I have been given several codes on different occasions to add at the Paypoint to a new key I was provided with. The first code failed as no-one at OVO told me these are time sensitive and last only 24/48 hours and it took 4 days for the new key to arrive rendering the code void. I was then given a new code which the Paypoint operative said was successful when added to the key.

OVO’s instructions were to then insert the key in the meter with this code having been added and it would reset the balance to zero. This did not happen. I then went and added £10 to the key and when I inserted it, it simply reduced the balance owed by £10.00. In fact I have done this twice.

Despite numerous calls to OVO support and four one hundred mile road trips to the property I am no further forward.

I find it staggering that I am unable to take over the meter with a new and fresh OVO account, and for OVO to zero the balance. Surely the debt resides with the previous owner, as OVO themselves have told me.

Has anyone else experienced this as quite frankly I am now at the point of just looking to move supplier away from OVO in the hope that another company can resolve this. However I suspect as there is debt (not mine!!) on the meter this may prove difficult.

I took over the account several weeks ago and I am no further forward with OVO, they seem incapable of resolving this. Each time I phone them up I am bounced from customer service rep to customer service rep. On my last call I think I got bounced around 6 times, with no end result.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 23 February 2024, 12:33

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hey @ColliesRGreat,

I’m really sorry to hear this, it sounds very frustrating.

It sounds like the need to remove the backscreen debt. This topic may have some helpful advice:

There are also tons of helpful resources and information available on our OVO Help pages.  

If you’re still having issues:

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.