Solved

How do you get into debt on a PAYG top up meter?

Just very curious as to how I managed to get into a £450 debt transferring to OVO when I have been using PAYG - literally Pay As You Go - top up meter for years?? 

Any ideas? 

I do not have any other meters, accounts or residences, and I live in a studio flat alone!

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 18 May 2023, 11:36

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

We can’t say for sure here as we can’t see the account via the forum. Try 0330 175 9669 as the PAYG Support Team has access to the internal systems.

I have tried using the above number and the web chat function, spoken to PAYG team and a collections team. Nobody seems to know and keeps passing me from department to department with no answers. Which is why I am here. 

The only other option I have left is to write to them and hopefully get a proper response. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Unhappy at PAYG charges,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

I’d advise contacting the Support Team, they should be able to raise this to our billing team to investigate. If they’re unable to resolve this, there’s always the option to raise a complaint.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

@Unhappy at PAYG charges - I have also had a similar issue though i wasn’t made aware of it until i got my final statement after moving home.

I spent three hours on the phone and even spoke with OVO’s final accounts team and only the final accounts team could give me a reasonable answer.

“The debt was on your account the day it was migrated to OVO”

I then asked if they can see what it was for and i was told that even though my account was on pay-as-you go, with both SSE and OVO, the debt seemed to be on my account from a direct debit or monthly payment debt.

The final account team could not confirm why this was there but they did say it didn’t make any sense, even after they recalculated my monthly tops ups.

The final account team confirmed that i have been paying a debt on my account since the day i migrated despite neither company ever informing me of the debt.

I have since contacted citizens advice as they have some helpful information, i am still trying to get answers from SSE separately as it turns out when my account closed it have debt on it (but again they could not tell me what it was from, when it was from, or why they haven’t got visibility on it).

TLDR; Contact citizens advice if you don’t get anywhere with OVO support. They have some good information to help you.

*Edit: i am still trying to get answers, and still being chased for the debt. Currently around 40 pounds but was originally over 100.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have tried using the above number and the web chat function, spoken to PAYG team and a collections team. Nobody seems to know and keeps passing me from department to department with no answers. Which is why I am here. 

The only other option I have left is to write to them and hopefully get a proper response. 

OVO are currently under investigation by ofgem for for issues related to pre payment meters

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/investigation-ovo-and-its-compliance-its-obligations-under-gas-and-electricity-supply-licences-slcs-03-264-265-27-27a-and-281a#:~:text=Ofgem%20is%20investigating%20the%20four,Gas%20and%20Electricity%20Supply%20Licences.

Ofgem identified weaknesses in their maket compliance review of OVO

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-65544654

I had a pay as you go meter with sse for over ten year no problems no debts. Was changed over to ovo in July and carried on as same.

I moved in September and just received a final bill for £58. Contacted ovo to be told Sse passed over a debt of £30 something and the rest was to do with the change over period where they estimated my usage.

I said to who I was speaking to I had no debt with SSE and during whatever the change over period was I didn't receive any free electricity/gas I would have used the credit I had or topped up as usual.

I got passed around, one woman said the debt was passed by SSE and their than that they have no details as SSE don't exist anymore. Regards the other was given few maybe it was or maybe. 

I was then told speak to collections on Monday. I'm guessing collections arnt going to be looking into this but just asking for payment. 

I'm so cross. I had set up ovo at my new property but will be changing as soon as possible. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @NealeC,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

Could it have been a built up arrears from a period of non-disconnect while the meter was migrating across?

Is it a smart or traditional meter?

Traditional meter. 

I've asked for a breakdown of the supposed debt. 

I was told part of it is because I didn't top up during a certain period but as I said to them if their was credit on the meter I wouldn't need to top up. I always kept a healthy credit on my meter but when I new I was moving I let it run down so didn't top up. 

My conclusion has been that who ever dealt with the migration to ovo had no idea how a key meter works and has treated it as monthly billing. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @NealeC,

Hopefully the breakdown gives more clarity.

If you aren’t able to get this resolved, you have the option to raise a complaint.

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

Please help me since I am in emergency situation.

I have just moved into a new property with traditional gas meter with pay as you go plan.

After charging my card, all of my money have been deducted for dept! we were not here before last week and nobody can help me.

How can I avoid this problem? I have no more money to pay and been deducted.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Amin Javanmard 

Sorry to hear about this, it sounds like there was already a debt on the meter before you moved in.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so you’ll need to contact the Pay as you Go team who’ll be able to help sort this for you.

You can can contact the team now here, they’ll go through everything with you to get that cleared and get topped up.

First of all I got a final bill from sse of £217.63 8/01/21 when we left the property 

i had been on direct debt then went to pre pay. 

I didn’t think this was right so I asked for all of my bills to be sent to me and raised a complaint which was recognised but nothing happened after this, I raised a further complaint it was allocated to someone then again nothing happened. Fast for as to 17/08/23 when ovo took over this account they are saying I owe £788.66 considering I got a final bill of £217.63 I asked ovo over phone conversations to send me all bills you hold on me so I can look into this and received nothing I’ve then called you and you’ve now got no record of my account. this has now been passed to a debt collector and they are saying I owe them £1870.66 this is outrageous.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Johnmo1 

Sorry to hear about this.

We don’t have access to accounts on the Forum, so you’ll need to discuss this with the Support Team in depth. You can contact the team here.