Solved

Why such a large increase to my recommended Direct Debit?

Show first post

320 replies

Would you consider going to a pay as you meter.  

I use to be bill then it went to 95  a month . Just for electric . Pay as you go meter was put in I used  40 a month but since prices have gone up its gone to 60 now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Would you consider going to a pay as you meter.  

I use to be bill then it went to 95  a month . Just for electric . Pay as you go meter was put in I used  40 a month but since prices have gone up its gone to 60 now. 

Some people prefer that for budgeting. 

All i would say, by far the cheapest price for electricity and gas per unit is to pay by direct debit with a standard meter. 

Thanks for your interest in my enquiry. I was under the impression that cost on pay as you go meters are more expensive 

Hi @SueD take a look at the plan page on the website not the app.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

What does it say under Future Annual Consumption? 

I will try that thank you :)

Sue I think I pay 54p a day standing charge

So that's about 3.78 aweek .  I  paid £ 60  for  4 weeks that's including the standing charge.  It works well for me. I know where I am. 

I just don’t understand. I send them readings ALL THE TIME so they are very well aware of my useage (:

So that's about 3.78 aweek .  I  paid £ 60  for  4 weeks that's including the standing charge.  It works well for me. I know where I am. 

I am a gas and electric user:

Sept/ Oct bill:  Including standing charge!!!

Electricity   £37.28

Gas               £35.47

plus VAT        £3.64

TOTAL           £76.39 
I will investigate why they want me to pay £159 a month!!! 

I refer to my first comment……. They want us to be in credit of a-month??!!

I am a gas and electric user:

Sept/ Oct bill:  Including standing charge!!!

Electricity   £37.28

Gas               £35.47

plus VAT        £3.64

TOTAL           £76.39 
I will investigate why they want me to pay £159 a month!!! 

I refer to my first comment……. They want us to be in credit of a-month??!!

I think I will start taking photos of my meters to prove the readings!!

Hi Jeffus. Unfortunately there was NO heading called Future Annual Consumption  :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus. Unfortunately there was NO heading called Future Annual Consumption  :(

Are you sure you are looking at the website and not getting redirected to the app?

It never appears on the app.

Here is mine for example 

Userlevel 1

My monthly Bill's are also currently around £70.. My direct debit is £110. My account is OVER £500 in credit. And yet they still want to increase my DD. While I appreciate I will use more during the winter, the standing charge is not going to change and my actual usage is only about £45. I would have to DOUBLE my usage before I even hit my current DD. An increase is totally unacceptable!.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you feel the DD is wrong, call the Collections Team on 0800 069 9831. They can force it down for you, but only if they agree.

My monthly Bill's are also currently around £70.. My direct debit is £110. My account is OVER £500 in credit. And yet they still want to increase my DD. While I appreciate I will use more during the winter, the standing charge is not going to change and my actual usage is only about £45. I would have to DOUBLE my usage before I even hit my current DD. An increase is totally unacceptable!.

Hi Tjw50

I understand that you can ask for a refund of over payments by ringing 03303035063. 

Good morning all

my bill for November is £163 for November I’ve hardly had gas on but my direct debit is for £447 is this right or am I not taking certain charges into account I’ve not been happy with them since being swapped 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Hadenough75,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

What do you mean by swapped? Did you come over from another provider? If that’s the case, check your opening meter reading against your actual readings. If it’s out of line you could be eligible for a read dispute.

Are your statements estimated? If so, I'd advise sending a meter reading. We have a live billing system so whenever you submit a read, your account balance will update within 24-48 hours. 

You can find out how your direct debit is calculated via your Online Account. We have a great guide on this topic here:

If you disagree with the estimate, it could be that your estimated annual consumption is wrong. You can change this by submitting regular meter readings. 

Hope this helps. 

Despite being over £1100 in credit and my direct debit covering my payments why have I had relentless harassment to increase my direct debit.  In the end I gave in to their bullying and agreed to increase my direct debit by £7 despite assuring them that should my credit balance get to within a few hundred pounds I would make a payment into my account.  However this met with a determination that my energy usage would march their wildly exaggerated predicted energy usage. As a result my credit balance is on the increase even further.  Why is it that I am expected to pay months in advance for energy usage not used. For years I've been happy with Ovo Energy but this has totally changed my mind and I'll definitely be off to another supplier in May when my contract expires. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Leaving probably isn’t the right move. Try calling 0800 069 9831 instead. The Collections Team can lock your DD for three months at the current rate on request. This is long enough for the billing platform to regenerate your predictions.

However, I advise you to reconsider - you probably aren’t paying enough to cover your costs this winter so act carefully, not with haste.

i certainly am paying enough and, taking into account my credit balance and my insistence that I am able to make a payment if necessary to ensure I won't owe Ovo any money - it's always been the other way around as I've always ensured I'm in credit - I feel Ovo have been unduly zealous in getting as much money as possible out of people without taking into account how well they have managed their accounts so far. Other energy suppliers, as I know for a fact, aren't treating their customers with relentless bullying.  I'm well able to pay for my energy costs. I've already had many telephone calls with Ovo and enough is enough. Changing my energy supplier is, sadly, an excellent move without a doubt. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Collections Team is completely different to the Support Team. It’s worth trying at least once. It’s certainly a smarter move than just quitting - and one that’s worked many times.

Had lots of conversations with customer services etc. but the harrassment has continued - just had enough unfortunately. 

Userlevel 7

Leaving probably isn’t the right move. Try calling 0800 069 9831 instead. The Collections Team can lock your DD for three months at the current rate on request. This is long enough for the billing platform to regenerate your predictions.

However, I advise you to reconsider - you probably aren’t paying enough to cover your costs this winter so act carefully, not with haste.

Hey @patricia.dickson22,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

@Blastoise186 has given some good advice here, if you contact the Collections Team they can put your direct debit on a review suspension for 3 months. 

You can also request a refund of your credit balance, but will be required to keep one months direct debit in there as you pay monthly, in advance. 

Do you have a smart meter? Just wondering if we get regular readings or if your usage is based on estimates? You can submit a meter reading through your Online Account, due to our live billing system your account balance will automictically update. This also means your estimated annual consumption will update, the more readings we receive. As your direct debit calculation is based on this figure, it’s important that it’s accurate. 

Hi there, I've come from SSE & been with them 15+ years, never ANY problems. Now it's switched to OVO we've had no end of problems & no resolve.

So my question is, I want to change my 'suggested' direct debit to an affordable & reasonable monthly subscription, has anyone successfully done this or shall I continue paying as I go which we resulted too when we wasn't getting a response? We in a fairly rural area so I prefer email to phonecalls as no signal but I'm just butting my head against a wall... Many thanks. 

You can set the direct debit to what you like for 8 weeks, but if OVO don't feel it's enough,  they will set a minimum payment after the 8 weeks.

@Sarareynolds I've been trying on the app & it won't let me? Is this a phonecall? I'd be much happier if they did accommodate me! Thanks for replying.

I just log in to the website and there is an option to set up a direct debit. You might have to cancel your existing one and then set up a new one.