Solved

Why am I still getting charged for gas? - My faulty gas meter was removed!

Show first post

160 replies

Userlevel 3

@juliamc  No, they cancelled my Fixed Price Gas account when they took out the meter. Trouble was that they put me onto a variable contract with even HIGHER standing charges! The unit price on that contract doesn't concern me as I don't use any gas - because I have no supply!

Userlevel 2

I had my gas meter removed by OVO in May  2022 ( free in case you’re interested, they said when removal was booked it would be £106 then said no charge just beforehand!) as changed to ASHP

still charging for gas supply despite hours on phone and chat line on 6-7 occasions, each time told it’s been escalated and sent to meter team or waiting for national database etc . Since early December my account has disappeared from app message says waiting for switch information takes up to 6 weeks and cannot access for readings or useage etc, been with I’ve here for 6-7 years,no switch.

eventually I wrote email to complaints couple of days ago , not expecting much no acknowledgement even.. it’s like Hotel California.. the experience is same as others on here , frustrating, concerning , Hopeless. Friendly , helpful people but totally unable to help so far . I also had a prepayment meter card sent to me 3 months ago for gas that I don’t use and a non existent meter.

also cannot switch now because of all the above, trapped!!

Userlevel 2

# been with OVO for 6-7 years# at this address 

Userlevel 3

Hi @M.isterW , @hillfort , @Jonpit and others in the “club”

Success??

Recent experience has taught me to be very cautious when dealing with OVO Energy BUT my gas account was removed (again) last Thursday and, so far, it has not returned!! 

That is admittedly only 5 days, but it is 4 days more than on the previous 5 occasions that they removed it!  So, it is just possible that they might have solved the problem, or found a more effective “workaround”.   I am awaiting the next call from my complaints handler but I suspect that she is being equally cautious this time before claiming success.

I wonder, have any of you had any progress recently? If they have found the solution, it should work for us all.    In the meantime, I’ll continue to keep checking in on my on-line account every morning and evening and try to stop doing it with my fingers crossed!

cheers

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you submit a complaint via email? Or did you call?

Userlevel 3

Hi @M.isterW 

Both. I phoned initially, more as a query than a complaint, but as nothing seemed to be happening and I didn’t feel that the people on the other end were taking it very seriously, I emailed it as a complaint. They continued to communicate with me by both phone and email, usually to tell me to which level it had now been elevated and how long I should be prepared to wait for that level to be processed!!

When the young lady phoned me two weeks ago, claiming success, it was the first time that I actually  felt I was talking to someone who had engaged with the issue, rather than just the “complaints process”,  so I really do hope that she is able to claim some credit, if the problem is now sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That's great news. I'm still getting nowhere so I'll keep complaining.

Userlevel 2

Yesterday I received an email telling me that they’d had electricity and Gas meter readings that did not tally with my previous useage, please could I send photos of my meters. Not by me they haven’t!

1. I’ve not been able to submit any electricity readings for 3 months as my OVO app still says “ waiting for Switch information “
  1. I haven’t had gas meter for 7-8 months now  

have sent photos of electric meter And absent Gas Meter yellow Tag.

maybe something is happening, though no reply or acknowledgement to Email formal complaint yet.

Userlevel 2

And have just received email acknowledgement of email complaint sent on 1/02/23 advising that they’re Very Busy !!

Userlevel 2

Or Maybe it is automated response to the photos of meters I’ve just sent… probably 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jonpit,

Really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep and eye on your private messages.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Hi Emmanuelle_OVO

thank you, Any help would be appreciated.

Userlevel 2

So, no further contact, except, having sent photographs of my electricity meter And absent gas meter yellow tags as requested one week ago . Today I got a call from OVO telling me that I needed to send meter readings because they’ve been relying on estimates ‘ for some time’ ie since I have had No access to OVO App or account in November and no request for readings by email plus Ovo’s still wanting readings from a gas meter that OVO removed on 13 May 2022.

*Edited by Mod*

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jonpit,

Sorry to hear you’re still having issues, that sounds like a really frustrating experience.

Forum_Support will be in touch this week. It sounds like it’s already been raised to the right team but there isn’t a timeframe for this to be sorted, you could try and get this resolved sooner by raising a complaint

Really hope this gets sorted for you as soon as possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The response always seems to be to raise a complaint but the complaint process isn't fixing this problem. I saw a post this week suggesting OVO increase the number of customer service agents to help reduce waiting times. I would suggest OVO also need to improve the capability of the customer service agents so problems like this are actually fixed within a reasonable timescale.

Userlevel 2

I have ‘ raised a complaint’ some 10 days ago now but not yet had a response!

i believe I have to wait 8 weeks from above before I could contact the ombudsman!

i reiterate that the helpline staff and everyone I’ve spoken to or messaged at OVO have been amazing, calm and helpful, just that there’s a block in the system that doesn’t allow them to solve this problem.

needs some more work on software, metering or communications , maybe getting the national gas “ grid” to operate effectively.

is this another example of incompetent government systems, and body responsible ignoring our needs or is it just OVO systems?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm having a go at escalating the problem to some senior customer care people at OVO. Let's see if that gets us anywhere.

Userlevel 1

We had our gas meter removed and capped in June 2022.  Still not removed from our energy account.  In fact, the history of our account has disappeared as far as 2020 and we haven’t had any electricity billing since July 2022. We have gone through a winter of the highest energy costs in history without knowing what our bills will be. After many, many phone calls, emails and webchats, I have had to escalate the issue with the ombudsman. 

Just a tip, though, if you use the webchat, screenshot the dialogue as the transcript request process is also broken!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Welcome to the gang ☺️ and keep us updated on your progress.

My ombudsman complaint has come back to me for comment after OVO responded. Reading the internal comms that were attached to the complaint it's clear that OVO doesn't have a process for handling the removal of gas meters. The issue gets bounced from team to team then ignored until the customer complains again.

This is a problem that is only going to get worse as more people get rid of their gas appliances. I hope that OVO are looking at their processes and working out how to fix this, rather than ignoring it until the next customer comes along.

Userlevel 2

I have been assured today that it’s all sorted out!

will let you know.

if so Linda and Roy will deserve elevation.

Userlevel 2

My Latest email in response to HELP at OVO email telling me that they’ve got my bills wrong!

hi…
Bills are Still wrong, if you check you will find that I don’t have/ use any gas.

My Gas Meter was removed on 13 May 2022, by yourselves.

You continue to charge daily charge for Gas.

Numerous promises over the last 9 months to sort this out! 

Latest call on Friday 24 feb telling me it’s all done… it’s not.

I also do not have access to OVO app because you say you’re processing a Non-Existent Switch. 

I was Also told on Friday that this had been sorted out.. it’s Not.

Seems your computer systems and messages on system are Rubbish.

Please forward to …….. and ….., …….. said she’d phone on Monday.. she didn’t.

Account no……

Sent from space

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It would be good if this issue was sorted before OVO launch a heat pump offering. 

Can you imagine the mayhem of 1000s of people trying to get their gas meter standing charges removed.

I am surprised OVO ever let these cases get to the Ombudsman. I would be quite embarrassed about the whole thing if i worked for OVO in this area. 

Userlevel 3

My gas account has now been removed for about three weeks and it appears to be holding. All of the standing charges, from the date of my meter removal, have disappeared, so someone at OVO Energy has sussed out how to do it!

However, they have not yet been back in touch with me to formally clear my complaint and I still have a process going through with the ombudsman.

In my case to the ombudsman I was not seeking any compensation, all I asked was that OVO Energy sort out my account, and then acknowledge that it was all their fault and send me an apology.  As they have, so far, only completed the first of these, I feel justified in keeping the process active.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My gas account has now been removed for about three weeks and it appears to be holding. All of the standing charges, from the date of my meter removal, have disappeared, so someone at OVO Energy has sussed out how to do it!

However, they have not yet been back in touch with me to formally clear my complaint and I still have a process going through with the ombudsman.

In my case to the ombudsman I was not seeking any compensation, all I asked was that OVO Energy sort out my account, and then acknowledge that it was all their fault and send me an apology.  As they have, so far, only completed the first of these, I feel justified in keeping the process active.

Good to know it is possible.