Solved

What should I do if my gas meter box full of water and I can't read it?

• 4 January 2020
  • 37 replies

Show first post

37 replies

Userlevel 1

Update:

I have told Pure planet that I have removed some of the water.

They have asked me if I would like to have a smart meter.

I have told them no, I do not want a smart meter.

I am waiting for them to arrange a day to install a replacement.

Once I know more, I will post an update - hopefully with a picture if a new meter.

:fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 1

The transporter advised that I go back to the gas provider.

I went back to Pure Planet and told them that I had taken out some water.

PP asked me if I wanted to have a smart meter. I told them no.

They have now passed this on to their metering partner - Magnum Utilities for them to arrange a day/time to fit a new meter for me.

Thank you to you all for your help and advice here.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this update, @robbie74 - I’m sorry to say this was picked up by the platform’s spam filter so your replies were hidden. I’ve now restored these comments. 

Did PP arrange a non smart meter exchange? My understanding was these traditional meters aren’t being fitted anymore. Share the latest when you know, and I’ll make sure to check this ruddy spam filter in case we get the same issue!

Userlevel 1

‘Still waiting for them to arrange an appointment with me but they did say they will fit a standard meter and not a smart one.

I hope someone can help. I am going around in circles! My flat is in the 3rd floor of a purpose built block of flats. The gas meter is at ground level and outside. The meter box is intact but the screen cannot be read due to condensation. The gas is supplied by OVO. They have sent 3 engineers but none of them could solve the problem. They say they cannot replace the traditional style meter and will only put a Smart meter in its place. This will not work as there is no electricity near the meter box. In order to read the meter one of the OVO engineers actually smashed a hole in the glass top of the meter!! What can I do? While all this is going on they are estimating readings and one was for over £5000. 😱 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Annat650 ,

Smart Meters can be installed in your environment now. A solution called AltHAN makes this possible even in giant blocks of flats. This will be the best way forwards and should help to fix the bills. The gas meter will be battery powered and won’t require an external power supply.

I’m afraid there are NO stocks of traditional meters left at any supplier - Smart is the only type in anyone’s inventory at this point.

hi Blastoise186

Thanks so much for your response. Presumably these are long life batteries. Do you know if OVO do fit the AltHAN type of meters? Also one of the engineers said a smart meter would not fit in the older style meter box that we have - does that sound true? If it needs a bigger box do OVO supply these or do these have to come from another supplier and would I be charged for this? many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, they’re 10 year long-life batteries. They’re actually designed to last a bit longer than that but it’s enough for the 10 year intended service life of the meter.

AltHAN is an add-on kit that can be deployed at any site. It doesn’t require specific meters and can work with basically any SMETS2 meter. The other solution is a Dual-Band Comms Hub for which specific meters are required - but OVO would supply you with whichever type is deemed suitable.

Even if a Flonidan UniFlo might not fit, a Flonidan SciFlo fits almost anywhere. Please post photos of what you’ve got now and I can try to advise.

So I just sent a photo of the current meter before the engineer punched a home in the top!

Hope this helps sorry it’s not a great photo

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Easy. Flonidan SciFlo will fit in that space no problemo

Great thank you. Engineer is booked for next week so fingers crossed 🤞