Solved

What is the best way to contact OVO customer service / support team?

Show first post

106 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You probably already know this. 

You can double check your registered name, address, email address and account number on this page

https://account.ovoenergy.com/profile

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You can send OVO a private message via their official Twitter and Facebook pages.

The OVO staff their can access your account. They are official OVO Support channels.

In the private message you need to include your name, address, account number and date of birth for security purposes. 

Userlevel 2

Sorry, but don’t do Facebook or Twitter. I refuse to hand money to Zuckerberg or Musk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you can’t use Live Chat, you can also call 0330 303 5063

Userlevel 2

I have had no luck in making on-line contact at all. I still see ‘messaging unavailable’ I can’t make phone calls at work (I work in a recording studio, so being on hold on a phone while recording is just not possible). I don’t do Facebook or Twitter, I have had no replies to multiple emails - been trying since 21st December.

I guess I will have to wait for a response from my snail mail.

OVO customer support used to be excellent. I have been an OVO customer from the very early days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Hadders52 you could post a 1 star review on the ovo trustpilot site

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

The ovo staff there can access your account. They usually reply in a day or two. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Hadders52,

Sorry to hear this,

If you don’t want to discuss your issue publicly, I’ll ask Forum_Support to get in touch via private message. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

I am quite happy to discuss my question.

First of all - why no statement since 1st December.

Second - I am being shown multiple tariffs in different communications. What is my real tariff?

I am shown one tariff in my December statement, another tariff in my on-line account details   and yet another tariff in the letter from OVO notifying me of price increases in January. And how is the new tariff that I am going to be charged from January derived?

Third - what is the calculation used to arrive at a tariff for Economy7 ? Without this information I cannot make an informed decision whether to combine my two Economy 7 rates into a single capped rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge

As one in a similar situation, I’ll have a go at answering your questions. However, it does rather depend on whether you have a functioning smart meter or not, and if you do, what interval that meter is sending readings at. It also depends on how you pay: by direct debit, on receipt of bill or in advance. Without this information, no-one can say why you’ve yet to receive your bill for December.

The statement you received in December will show the tariff rates in force in the period it covers. Unless there has been a change of tariff - e.g. because a fixed-price plan came to an end - these rates should be the same as the ones in the bills for 1 October 2022 onwards. They are shown on the bill without VAT, which is then added as a separate item in the details of charges.

Your online account will show the rates applying from 1 January 2023, at which point Economy 7 customers saw a significant increase in the night rate. The rates are  shown on the Plan page, where again they are shown without VAT.

In the letter or email informing you about forthcoming price increases, the rates given will be shown including VAT. This may be the reason for your confusion; you should see this in the letter: “All prices and costs shown above include VAT at 5%. Your unit rates and standing charges might show differently on your bills.

How a supplier arrives at the tariffs it quotes is a closely-guarded secret. They depend on many factors, not least of which is your location. The rule of thumb has traditionally been that a customer should be consuming more than 40% of the total at the off-peak rate for it to be cheaper to be on an Economy 7 tariff. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you for this. I hadn’t factored in the VAT but will check that tonight. That might explain some of the discrepancies, but I think my on-line account must still be showing my tariff from January 2022 rather than 2023.

I’ve tried to call to submit my meter readings but I get a recording that they’re closed right now but will be open from 8 AM.  It’s 8:45. Can someone tell me the actual time they are open please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I thought it was from 8:30. There are other options 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/how-to-submit-your-gas-and-electricity-readings

Thanks for your reply. Since it’s after 8:30 as well, I think I should wait and call this afternoon.   At the moment, calling with my readings is my only option but thank you for the link.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Strictly speaking, if you’re able to use self-service, it’ll be MUCH faster. The lines are open now, but if you can use the self-service meter reading option - it’s usually one of the first options - you can get the job done in about 90 seconds in most cases.

How long should I wait for I actually get to speak to someone, either on the phone or webchat???. I’ve been on hold for over 45 mins on the phone and have moved 3 places from 18 to 15/in an hour on webchat. Ridiculous 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s Monday, suppliers always get smashed to pieces on a Monday. If you need to speak to Support you may want to wait until tomorrow.

What were you wanting to ask? I might be able to offer advice.

I waited for 30 minutes last week on the phone; the webchat bot was ridiculous -  I was 345 when I logged on and 305, I think, when I logged off half an hour later.  On the plus side, when I did speak to someone they were very helpful, even if my issue is still unresolved, as I’m now waiting for the tech department to enable my account activation.  I certainly wouldn’t have chosen to switch to Ovo, but I wasn’t given that choice - I was simply migrated from SSE.  I’ve also seen a significant increase in my direct debits since moving, despite my energy usage not increasing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If it’s your bills you’re phoning about it’s probable that you need a Read Dispute. 

Something to read while you’re on hold… 

Userlevel 1
Badge

does anyone know if there is a problem with the ovo support contact number 0330 303 5063

been phoning from mobile and home phone during the the day and it just says something is wrong try again

and also the whatsapp chat get no answer

anyone have a alternative number

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @garystokey , I’ve just tried calling and it makes a connection  - although they are closed at the minute. 
It’s the correct number. You can try social media as an alternative 

Customer Support  -  tel:03303035063

Webchat  -https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

or via direct message to their social media channels 

Twitter  -  https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy

Facebook  -  https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

They don’t answer the phone. The chatbot joke should be renamed the cutyouoff bot.

Get through and they are brain dead at best. Totally useless.

Anyone have an email address for them. My future annual gas consumption has been frozen in time for more than two weeks now.

Never seen a company go so downhill so fast, well, maybe Enron!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO prefers not to use email these days as it was taking too long to respond. It is MUCH faster to use Phone, Live Chat, WhatsApp or OVO’s social media channels.

Your contact options are at https://help.ovoenergy.com and https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

i had a massive gas bill from them, so OVO suggested a new smart meter as the old one wasnt sending readings, upon installation of the new smart meter, the engineer tested the gas output as there was a significant  smell of gas, he showed me his gas level meter and explained to me what it was and how it should be and it was leaking gas, he said the pipes outside were corroded and rusty, hence the gas leak. And I then disputed with OVO the gas bill, and they dismissed it, so I went to the ombudsman, upon investigation  OVO had not recorded what he found and said there was no gas leak, according to OVO. 

They are still denying there was a gas leak and have never sent me the installers records.

Userlevel 6

You say that you went to the Ombudsman, so I’d be interested to know what the Ombudsman decision/direction was.

You say that your large gas bill was from before a new meter was fitted, and you now suspect that it was large because of a leaking pipe.

If any gas being leaked was being metered then the leak must have been on your side of the meter.
Obviously a leak on the input piping to the meter would not be being metered.

The piping to the meter, and the meter itself, are the responsibility of the gas supplier/distributor.

The piping on the consumer’s side of the meter is the consumers responsibility.
ie The pipes from the gas meter to your boiler/cooker/gas fire are your pipes.
It doesn’t matter if they are outside or inside the property, the pipes on your side of the meter are yours and are your responsibility to maintain.

So any corroded/leaking piping on your side of the meter was/is your responsibility to have repaired or replaced - by a gas qualified engineer and at your cost, it’s your piping.

Any gas lost due to a leak in your piping is therefore your responsibility and you have to pay for it.

(If you do have a leak in your piping then you should turn the big lever handle at the meter to cut off the supply until you can get the leak fixed).

However there is another point that arises.
if the engineer fitting the new meter thought that there was a leak on your piping then he should not have connected the new meter to that leaky piping.
For safety he should have left you disconnected and without gas until any leaking pipework had been fixed.
So it’s possible that the supplier may be responsible for a leak from you pipes after the new meter was fitted, because if a leak on your pipes was know about then then for safety reasons they should not have reconnected you at all.

That doesn’t alter the fact that you are responsible for any gas that was metered before the meter was changed, and so are responsible to pay for it whether it was used or was lost from your leaky pipework.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated, the house is rented, so i will assume its the landlords responsibility, but OVO didnt report this when they came to change the smart meter, they went back to the office saying nothing about what they found, this is the problem, thats why ombudsman rejected my appeal, so not sure how to fix this, and also OVO hasnt sent me any of the engineers reports, although i have asked for them. the pipe was connected (he said) from the house to the outside meter