Solved

What is the best way to contact OVO customer service / support team?

Show first post

106 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @KeithA,

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve had.

The direct debit review doesn’t take into account the £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme as if you pay by direct debit you’ll receive your discount as a refund. This means you’ll carry on paying your full Direct Debit amount. Once the Direct Debit payment has cleared, we’ll refund the monthly discount amount to your bank account shortly after.

Here are some helpful guides explaining how OVO calculates what your direct debit should be and how to make the most of the direct debit calculator on your online account

If the direct debit amount isn’t suitable for you, you can contact our collections team on 0800 0699 831, they are open Mon-Thurs: 08:00-20:00, Friday: 08:00 - 18:00 and Sat: 09:00-14:00. They will be able to set it to a more acceptable amount. 

We understand that direct debits aren’t for everyone, you also have the option of going onto the Simpler Variable Plan on demand. With this plan you can pay on receipt of your bill. It is more expensive than the Simpler Variable Plan by direct debit. 

Hope this helps!

My support worker and I have spent a substantial part of an afternoon trying to find out to whom to report a case of suspected fraud but in spite of telephone calls - currently being diverted to Boost - and attempts to contact an agent via chat, we are unable to get through to a customer service agent. What we really need in any case is to make direct contact with the investigations department that must surely exist even though contact details are not publicised.

Does anyone have some information on this?  Short of reporting an ‘emergency’ how do I report an issue relating to my account that requires urgent attention?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Smeagol57 and thanks for reaching out about this pressing issue. 

I’m lacking some info to know what sort of fraudulent activity or issue you may be affected by here, so my advice is broad.

If you’re a Boost Power (prepayment) customer, their Support team are the ones to contact. For an OVO (pay monthly) payment method, it’s OVO’s Support team. Depending on the issue, the correct team are then sent a ‘case’ with the relevant details. If it’s a GDPR issue, or a fraudulent sign up (see our guide on ‘erroneous transfers’) or banking fraud, different teams are notified via the frontline Support team. 

If you’re able to give us any more info we may be able to be more specific. Either way, hope this helps and you get everything sorted!

Tim

Thank you, Tim. I am an Ovo customer. My issue is about payments made by my local council’s Housing Support Fund to my Ovo account over the past twelve months that have not been credited. The council is satisfied that the payments were made successfully but there is no sign of them in my account. There has been some correspondence over one of the payments between a debt advisor acting on my behalf and one of Ovo’s customer service advisors but this did not resolve the matter.

Since then a further award of £90 each for my gas and electricity was granted from the HSF but after allowing more than the requisite six weeks for these funds to be credited to my account there is still no sign of them.

I have downloaded all of my bills for the past twelve months to my support worker, who has printed them out and examined them. She also has references for the payments . These are very serious anomalies which we feel demand investigation.

During our meeting yesterday I made the above post on the forum while my support worker was attempting to make contact by phone and chat, but getting nowhere. She has also sent an email but I know from experience that response to these can be very slow and we are concerned about being simply referred back to the team that issued the payments when by this point it seems clear that investigation by Ovo into these payments is required.

Badge +1

@Tim_OVO 

I think if you were able to send a direct message to this customer to get their details, you could then get an advisor to make contact with them.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Smeagol57,

Sorry for the issues you’ve been having.

For this kind of situation our team would first need to locate the payments. I’d advise contacting Support with the following information:

1. Date and amount of payments

2. Method/type of payments and any possible reference...

Reference type:

• If it was by Direct Debit- include the reference as shown on the bank statement, sort code, last four digits of the account
  • BACS (bank transfer) such as one time payment order, standing order, payment plan (please include sort code and last four digits of bank account) and any reference that was used for the payment
  • For a card payment:

- Was the card payment made over the phone through the automated phone line? Over the phone with a customer advisor? Or through the App/website? Please also include the last 4 digits of the card number. 

3. Proof of payment - We’ll also need a screenshot of the bank statement

If they paid by bank transfer; When they made these payments did they include your postcode and OVO account number as reference? If they didn’t this might be why the payments haven’t been added to your account.

Hope this helps. 

After 8 months of SSE/OVO buck passing I’m really really really tired trying to get an electric meter installed in a new house for my severely disabled son. 

My wife was dying of cancer when we set out  on the SSE/OVO journey. She passed away having phoned, messaged, emailed so many of her last hours on this earth trying to futureproof life for our son. I continue her work with OVO hold music a soundtrack to my grief

Apparently an engineer was coming to install a meter yesterday the mail said. Took day off. No engineer, no communication, no apology.

I now keep a spare phone waiting on customer service while I work. Much quicker it seems to Whatapp with OVO.  Still waiting on that and simultaneously on call……...so so fed up.

Now I ‘m through on my call I’m with the historic team and I’ve just been popped on hold for 3 to 5 minutes. Think that was maybe 30-40 minutes ago, I’ve lost track of time ….I wait and wait and wait and wait….my mind slowly dissolving to apathy.

Userlevel 7

Hi @ovoaredestroyingmymentalhealth, thank you for sharing this deeply personal and difficult experience. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss and I want to help as best as I can. 

If your son had an appointment for an engineer visit and they failed to turn up without giving at least 24 hours notice, £30 compensation will be owed. 

I’ve asked our Forum_Support team to reach out to you via a private message. I’m not sure of the situation with the meter at your son’s house. Whether it already has a meter and he’s getting a smart meter upgrade, or if there’s no meter and no supply. If there’s no supply, this is an emergency that needs an engineer visit today. Please call to arrange that: 0330 303 5063.

If he isn’t already, I’d recommend your son is part of the Priority Serviced Register.

Hope this gets resolved for you shortly. 

Why say your chat line is open from 9 till 2 on a sat then get told at 0946 you've had to close early??? You make it practically impossible to speak to anyone but then when you're conning people out of money by using false figures on gas readings then I doubt you want to speak to customers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Sgrk900 ,

It’s actually just a bug in the live chat tool. You can avoid it by telling the bot you don’t have an account. You only need to do this on a Saturday for now.

The bug has been reported and a fix is on the way.

Ok I'll try that. Thanks 

im a landlord my tenant has gone theres no gas. icant seem to get through to ovo on the phone massive waitng times any suggestions

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @barry burton ,

Try the options at https://help.ovoenergy.com . There’s Live Chat and WhatsApp there.

Do you know if the tenant was on Pay As You Go by any chance? If they were, you’ll want Boost instead https://boostpower.co.uk .

Does anyone have a contact number for OVO that they will actually answer?

They appear to have removed from their APP & Web site any real functionality to contact them or request a refund.

The only number that responds after a fashion is the 03303035063 and that has only one option that works and that is to hold on for hours

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What did you need help with? I might be able to recommend options.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I rang them yesterday at about 14:30 and as @Blastoise186 has mentioned in other threads there is a delay at one point in the options “merry go round” when you have to wait before you are presented with more options. I then only had a short delay made worse by excruciating music, but otherwise I have no complaints.

I suppose it depends on the option you require, time of day, and pure luck. It’s no help, but I can only suggest you keep trying. From my experience so far it’s way better than my internet provider.

What I found lovely was that you get through to a real call centre, not someone ‘working’ from home who can’t wait to get rid of you so that they can go out shopping. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There is another factor as well. If your account has been upgraded to the Account Management Team service and has the AMT flag on it, you get redirected to your AMT squad rather than going into the general queue - and this MASSIVELY speeds up response times.

My fastest pick-up time in the last few months has been about 10 seconds.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Rickj,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

What did you need help with? I might be able to recommend options.

We might be able to offer some helpful advice 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge

I spent a long time this morning attempting to do 2 things via Customer Service online “Message Us” help,  this was because of limits on the amount of refund I could ask for and a limit on the Direct Debit change I could request, clearly both automated responses.

The Customer Service Agent was unable to handle both, requiring me to go through it all again for one or the other after waiting at least 24 hours. Then, before helping complete either task, responses in the “Message Us” window just stopped, with no explanation. As I said in those messages: “I have been puzzled by the way OVO has fallen in the rankings of suppliers when assessed by Which? My experience had been of a helpful, customer focussed company, now I am starting to find out that things have changed.”

This is what I am now seeing: “An Advisor will be with you as soon as one becomes available. You are currently position 1 in the queue. Thank you for your patience” My first contact was at 9:31 this morning, nearly 3 hours ago.

Am I merely unlucky or has anyone else experienced difficulties dealing with OVO through “Message Us” Customer Service?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have now had a helpful agent complete part of the task for me and who also agreed to  message the first agent about the initial abandonment (perhaps it’s a training issue?)

Userlevel 2

I have been trying to contact OVO since 21st December with a simple question, but have had no response other than hello@ovo is no longer monitored and from complaints@ovo saying I am not sending from my registered address, which is not true.

I have not had an account statement since 1st December, but again no reply to my emails about this.

I have just posted a letter to OVO - in this day and age !!!! - to try to get some sort of response.

I have been a customer of OVO from the very earliest days. What has happened to what was once a very good customer service?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Your best options are actually to use Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com or phone 0330 303 5063. Email has always been the slowest option and OVO is currently focused more on the faster routes.

Letters sent in by post will still receive a full response however.

Userlevel 2

Any time I look I only see: “Messaging is unavailable now”

I am unable to sit on hold on a phone call while at work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s working for me right now

Userlevel 2

Not for me.