Tutorial

The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) - Getting paid for the energy you export to the grid - FAQs

• 2 October 2020
  • 3 replies
The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) - Getting paid for the energy you export to the grid - FAQs
Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/12/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Interested in getting Solar Panels? Find out more here:

OVO are now installing Solar! 😁
​​​

SEG - Smart Export Guarantee - Your FAQs

What is the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)?

The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) gives micro-generators (such as homes with solar panels) the chance to earn money for every kWh of energy they export to the national grid. This replaces the Feed in Tariff (FIT), which was closed to new applicants in 2019. The key difference between the FIT scheme and SEG that generator are only paid for the energy they export on SEG rather than the energy they generate as well, as they were with FIT.

Who can sign up to the SEG tariff?

Generators (or homeowners) who own one of the following technology systems; anaerobic digestion, hydro, micro-combined heat and power (with an electrical capacity of 50kW or less), onshore wind, and solar photovoltaic exporters with up to 5MW.  In order to apply for SEG you mustn’t be receiving FIT export payments, however your FIT generation payments can be continued if even if your export payments are relinquished.

How much can I be paid via SEG from OVO?

The SEG tariff is decided by supplier so unlike FIT this may differ between suppliers. Here are the details of the current OVO SEG payments:

Name of Tariff Price per kWh Technology Type System Size Initial Contract Length
OVO SEG Tariff
(AET20)
4.00p/kWh All eligible technologies Solar, Anaerobic Digestion, Hydro, Wind up to 5MW capacity, Up to 50kW for Micro-combined heat and power (Micro-CHP) 12 months

When does my SEG contract start? 

Your contract starts once an Export MPAN has been set up and we have received your first export meter reading. The initial contract term is 12 months. 

Can I switch to OVO's SEG if I already receive FIT payments?

If you receive the Feed-in Tariff from OVO, then you are able to sign up to SEG, but your Feed in Tariff export payments will stop. If you did want to opt in or out of the Feed-in Tariff export payments, just be aware under the regulation of the scheme you can only do this once every 12 months.

If you currently receive FIT payments from another supplier you can sign up to SEG with OVO, but your Feed in Tariff export payments will stop with your current supplier. You’ll need to let them know before you sign up to SEG. 

Where can I find the application forms? 

You can find our application form and supporting documents guide here. Once completed you’ll need to email this (as well as the supporting documents) to our SEG team at seg@ovoenergy.com. They’ll review your application and if eligible you’ll receive a welcome email confirming the tariff and payment information within 6 weeks of applying.

When do I need to give a reading?

We request export readings 4 times a year:

• March
  • June
  • September
  • December 

As a SEG customer, you will be sent a read reminder with a link to provide your reading via an online form. You need to take the reading from your export or smart meter - if you’re unsure of how to do this, you would need to contact the installer or energy supplier. If it’s an OVO smart meter, see this guide for Secure meters, and this guide for Aclara/Honeywell meters. 

When do I receive a statement and payment?

Quarter Statements posted
on (+3 working days for post):
Payments requested on
(+ 3 working days
for bank processing):
January - March 2022 By the end of April By the end of May
April - June 2022 By the end of July By the end of August
July - September 2022 By the end of October By the end of November
October - December 2022 By the end of January 2023 By the end of February 2023

Can I switch my SEG to another supplier?

As generators, you can switch away to another SEG licensee if you wish. However, if you do this whilst still in your contract then a exit fee will apply (£15) - unless you’re moving house or the generator has passed away. You’ll need to stop your SEG contract with us before signing up to a new SEG contract with another SEG licensee.

What happens if I move into to a property receiving SEG?

If you’ve just moved in to a house which already receives SEG, you’d need to sign-up to a new tariff using the application form. Further to this, we’ll require some proof as evidence that you are now the legal owner of the solar panels:

• Photo ID - As part of the application we need you to prove your identification. Please send a clear copy of your photo driving license or passport.
  • Proof of Ownership - Written confirmation from Solicitor or Fixtures and Fittings form (TA10) accompanied by a Land Registry certificate. This must clearly evidence ownership of the panels.

What do I need to do if I’m moving out of a property receiving SEG?

In order for us close your SEG account, all we need to confirm is your final export meter reading and the date you left the property. Email this to the team directly seg@ovoenergy.com ensuring your include your SEG ID, name and address along with your new address so we can send your final statement. 

Once we have received the readings, these will be applied to the account and will send the final statement on the next statement date. The statement dates fall in April, July, October and January, with payments following two weeks later.

Where can I get more information about SEG?

You can find yet more information via our FAQs on the OVO website or the Ofgem website. If you can’t find the answer, you can email the team on seg@ovoenergy.com or why not comment below as out knowledgeable community members might be able to offer advice. :slight_smile:

3 replies

Can anyone explain to me how I submit my Fit meter reading please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

You can email it to fits@ovoenergy.com . For best results, please also include photos to verify the meter reading that clearly show the reading and Meter Serial Number.

You’ll also get emails to let you know when a reading is requested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just to be clear @Robert Armstrong they keep their export tariffs separate to the supply versions as they can be with different providers so there’s no ‘link’ as such on your normal OVO account if you have one