Solved

Set-up my OVO account a month ago - Why have I not received my Welcome pack and can't login to my online account?

• 1 November 2021
  • 49 replies

Hello there

I joined OVO a month ago by phone call. Since then, I haven't received any welcome email or confirmation.

I have attempted to contact helpdesk through phone call many times and succeeded couple of times and got my OVO ID. However using OVO ID I am not able to register my OVO account on either online or mobile app.

I am looking to get account created and give Gas/Electric meter reading for this month

I am starting to be a bit concerned about

Please, could you help me?

Many thanks

Selvendran Chandran

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 2 November 2021, 12:51

View original

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @selvendran !

That’s a bit strange, but I think I can help to solve at least part of the issue here. Could you give this link a try: https://my.ovoenergy.com/request-access

That should get your online account in MyOVO up and running, from which point you’ll be able to login. After that’s all done, your username will be your email address - My OVO ID is part an old system that’s no longer used for new accounts, so you don’t need to worry about that.

If you still get stuck, please let us know. I have more fixes on hand if needed!

I have tried using above link by giving my email address. However I did not received the link to my email address set up my password

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. Thanks for giving that a try. In that case, I think I can safely rule out almost all possible culprits except for one. So this really narrows it right down.

It sounds like OVO might not have the right email address on file for your account, but this should be an easy fix. Please give the Support Team a shout via live chat or phone and they’ll get the records updated. If you’re going in by phone and get stuck at any prompts, pressing the # key will get you through them.

Once the email address is updated, please try my first link again and it should work fine after that. Make sure to check your spam/junk folders too!

Userlevel 7

Updated on 14/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @selvendran - Welcome to OVO and to our online community here!

See you’ve already met one of our Plan Zero Legends round here, @Blastoise186 who’s given some great advice into what might be causing your login issues:

It sounds like OVO might not have the right email address on file for your account, but this should be an easy fix. Please give the Support Team a shout via live chat or phone and they’ll get the records updated. If you’re going in by phone and get stuck at any prompts, pressing the # key will get you through them.

Once the email address is updated, please try my first link again and it should work fine after that. Make sure to check your spam/junk folders too!

If you’ve joined us through a switch, or set-up an account after moving into a house we already supply we’d expect you to receive your welcome email within an hour of getting things set-up. It could be we’ve made a slight typo with your email address when setting up the account, which would also explain the login issues you’ve been having.

Hope the Support Team have already managed to get things sorted - do pop back and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your details and help. After correcting the typo error in my email, I managed to setup online account in OVO. However I do not see my current meter readings, usage details and payment details for Month joined since then.

Thanks

Selvendran

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice, that’s good to see you’re in now.

I think it can sometimes take a few days or so for your online account to fully activate after you set it up for the first time. This usually sorts itself out within the first week or so, but if you still don’t see everything after that, the Support Team may need to take a deeper look at what’s happening.

It should all be on record somewhere, so my theory is that MyOVO is probably still doing the heavy lifting in the background.

Issue still there after correcting the email address.

Support Team asked me to check after 10 days. However I have waited more than 2 weeks(17 days). Still issue is there. My account is not fully active. Not sure OVO support team will look into this issue and resolve as early as possible. I have been following to get it resolved almost 2 months.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re still not able to access your online account despite the email correction, @selvendran.

This sounds like a bit more of a complex issue so I’ve just sent you a PM to follow this up. 

Hope we can get things sorted! :slight_smile:

Quick question (to an otherwise VERY long saga): I have received a welcome to OVO email but what is the Welcome pack? Can’t activate my account (invalid links), been told I don’t have a Gas contract yet they are taking the direct debit amount, was told I do have an Electric contract but there is no direct debit set up. This entire switch has been a nightmare and all I really want is to get the account activated so I can see what is going on before I moved to another provider who hopefully will know how to run a business.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That may be your welcome pack containing your meter numbers and some attachments with your tariff details and some terms and conditions

You can check at any time who is officially registered as your supplier of gas and electricity

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

Userlevel 7

Agreed it sounds like that welcome email should contain the info you need, @Poppyscot. The online account should allow you login access now that you have the email, use the OVO ID the email specifies. The details available will be limited until after your supply start date when we’ve received the details like your opening meter reading. 

Any issues, see this guide:

Thanks for the reply @Tim_OVO 

The supply has been switched over and I have the OVO ID. However, it still won't allow me to activate an account. As others have said, the activation link takes you to a password reset link which gets emailed and then you get the 'link is invalid or has expired' message.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Poppyscot,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

Any issues, see this guide:

If you’ve followed the advice in this guide and are still having issues, I’d advise contacting Support. They should be able to send you a link manually.

Hope this helps. 

Anyone else having problems contacting OVO. Rang last month when we got the keys to our property to set gas and electric up they didn’t set me an account up. A month later after getting cut off 7 times wondering were my welcome pack/bill is they didn’t even set us up. A week later still no welcome pack or any idea if the account has been set up! Now we are going to received 12 weeks worth of bills because of these. First time setting this up and what a terrible experience!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Nvardy

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

You could see if your email is registered with an ovo account. 

https://account-activation.ovoenergy.com/confirm-email

You can check who is registered as the supplier for your address

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/

Hi, 

I’m not receiving the email once sent. I try to call the number and get ‘sorry there’s an error’

Userlevel 7

Hey @Nvardy,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If your account still hasn’t been set up, Instead of calling you can sign up here to set up your new account. Once you put in your new address details the website will recognise we already supply your new home and give you a quote based on the usage figures we have for the property. This guide might be helpful:

Hi.

I don’t need a quote- I want my account setting up which should have been done a month ago? Now I’m going to be billed on 12 weeks worth?? 
I’m looking at switching anyway the service is horrendous and I can’t even get through to speak to someone 

Just tried to follow the link and says there’s a problem give you a call but I can’t even get through? 

Also can’t set my account up online because I haven’t got an account number which was meant to be sent within 24/48 hrs?

Hello, looking for some help, I am having real trouble getting my account setup with Ovo and getting any updates on it’s progress. 

I signed up on 4th April, I created an online account (works for App and via browser logons) which showed progress of stages.

On the 11th April i got an email to say switch was successful and to provide meter readings. I provided meter readings on the 11th and both the app and browser logins showed green ticks for all stages saying switch completed, sit back and relax, account is being setup. A DD has been setup I can see on my bank account but no value set yet and nothing taken. 

Yet 3 weeks later and still no further progress, existing supplier is saying there is no record of a change request and the same screens show when logging into Ovo account with no confirmation of account number.

Over the last week or so I have attempted to contact Ovo, after giving up on phone queues my first 4 or 5 attempts at chat resulted in either being disconnected or an advisor saying they needed an account number to look into it - despite me confirming that one of the problems is that i dont have an account number.

I managed to get my account number recently from an advisor on chat but that chat ended and still no progress.  When putting my account number in chat now it automatically ends so I rang today to ask what is going on, spoke to someone and explained and when they put me on hold to get more info, after about 2 mins it cut me off.

To summarise:

• Online (via app or browser) when I login it says switch was sucessful on 11th April and says “You’re officially on supply”
  • Current provider says no changes though and no switch request
  • When logging in to app or browser says just finishing setting up account - has done for over 3 weeks and no change
Userlevel 6

Hi @Nvardy 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been having getting your account set up.

If your account still hasn’t been set up, Instead of calling you can sign up here to set up your new account. Once you put in your new address details the website will recognise we already supply your new home and give you a quote based on the usage figures we have for the property. This guide might be helpful:

While I understand it’s been a while now since you moved in, we can still get the meter readings updated as they should be through the Support Team, you can contact them on 0330 303 5063. We’d recommend giving the above link a try again and see if it’ll work for you this time, if it still has the errors then you will need to call the support number provided when you receive the error message.

Userlevel 6

Hey @jimmyca69 

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had recently trying to get your account set up correctly.

We know that it can be stressful when making these switches, and we would always want them to go smoothly.

We’d recommend that you get in touch with our Support Team to have them look into it for you, as we can’t access account details from the Forum, you will need to get in touch.

Our Support team’s web messaging and WhatsApp opening hours will be:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 
  • 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

You can see all open contact channels via our Help Centre

This topic page on What to expect when switching to OVO, may also be of use to you in seeing where you should be within your switching journey.

Just an update on this, been in contact with support via phone a couple of times since.

First agent finally understood issue and raised a case number and said someone would be in touch within 3 working days. 

Chased as wasn’t called back and then another agent said switch has in fact taken place on 11th and I was now supplied via Ovo and I just needed to wait for account to be fully setup as that can take a while...

Checked back with current provider and they say same as before, no change still with them.

So I contacted support today as Ovo took DD payment yesterday, agent confirmed that although on their system it says change happened, on the main database it says still with current supplier and on their system usage is 0 so clearly not moved. I have another case number that will investigate the issue with my DD refunded.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just an update on this, been in contact with support via phone a couple of times since.

First agent finally understood issue and raised a case number and said someone would be in touch within 3 working days. 

Chased as wasn’t called back and then another agent said switch has in fact taken place on 11th and I was now supplied via Ovo and I just needed to wait for account to be fully setup as that can take a while...

Checked back with current provider and they say same as before, no change still with them.

So I contacted support today as Ovo took DD payment yesterday, agent confirmed that although on their system it says change happened, on the main database it says still with current supplier and on their system usage is 0 so clearly not moved. I have another case number that will investigate the issue with my DD refunded.

These are the legal time limits in the new regulations that are now law

A switch needs to be completed within 15 working days from the date the new supplier receives sufficient information to ensure that a contract has been entered into by the consumer and to identify the relevant meter point or meter points to which the supplier transfer request relates, unless there are valid reasons for delay to switch.

Who pays' Gaining supplier

Amount £30

If these regulations are not met,  then the  gaining supplier, OVO would need to  automatically pay the customer £30 within 10 days of the breach of the law. 

If not paid within 10 days, another £30 compensation must be paid. 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/supplier-guaranteed-standards-performance-switching-second-phase-final-decision-and-statutory-instrument

I am sure @Abby_OVO can advise the best way of putting in a claim.